Our mission

Maroon Clowns & P Brown Tang (A. Japonicus)

I am considering purchasing a Powder Brown Tang to keep in my SPS only tank, which houses a pair of small 2 inch (for now) Maroon Clowns only.

Questions:

(1) Has anyone successfully kept tangs with mated pair of maroons long term? (I know @Coral reefer probably knows the answer but I thought I'd put this question out there).

(2) Anyone successfully keep a Powder Brown Tang? I read in WWM that A. Japanicus is a little more successful in aquaria than A. Nigricans. I like the look of Acanthurus tangs. I have a Powder Blue that eats like a pig in my nem/LPS tank and gets along with my Yellow Tang. I want to keep one Acanthurus in each of my 2 tanks.

I can't successfully keep a pair of Maroon clowns. One always kills the other. You wonder how that these idiots survived evolution with that trait.

I can't successfully keep a pair of Maroon clowns. One always kills the other. You wonder how that these idiots survived evolution with that trait.

Have lots of fry and see which 2 survive. I think mine only survived because one of them was really aggressive and the other really submissive so they came to an understanding before they killed each other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cycling schmycling!
Water changes...large and often
The sooner you get the other fish in there the less time the clowns have to get teratorial and get down to their fishy business

Cycling schmycling!
Water changes...large and often
The sooner you get the other fish in there the less time the clowns have to get teratorial and get down to their fishy business

Erin, yes "cycling scmycling"! The cycle on my 200g system was fast with Dr. Tims and then Prodibio Biodigest/Bioptim and huge water changes with cheap Instant Ocean. [weekly 20% WCs with RC now]. I was not sure whether to plumb my SPS tank to my existing system, so I started cycling it while I was on a Cancun vacay. Decided to plumb everything together, so cycling was no big deal. [300g+ system now]. The SPS frags I got from Mike are really happy in their "new" tank with the Maroons. Just ordered from LiveAquaria (shipping special) a P Brown Tang with a Scopas Tang to tag team against the Maroons in case they decide to claim more territory.

Why would you order those fish when you can get them locally?

Ordered them with a small Maxima Clam that I could not find anywhere locally. Needed $30 more for free shipping. The only LFS within a reasonable drive is Aquarium Concepts...I checked last week and it was still closed. Dealing with 580 traffic in Pleasanton/Dublin (regardless of time of day) is insane, so it's a major journey to leave the TriValley for other LFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is that tank big enough for a powder brown Tang? I know I'm one to talk since I've got an Achilles in a 48x30x20.

Any problems with room for your Achilles? I think the Powder Brown will be a similar size.

I have a 5.5 inch Powder Blue in a 48x30x30 and it seems to have enough room and uses power heads like treadmills.

Any problems with room for your Achilles? I think the Powder Brown will be a similar size.

I have a 5.5 inch Powder Blue in a 48x30x30 and it seems to have enough room and uses power heads like treadmills.

I think he does alright. As expected he's a bit of a bully but I think that's more a species trait and not from being cramped.

I think he does alright. As expected he's a bit of a bully but I think that's more a species trait and not from being cramped.

Foxface and Yellow Tang stand up to the Powder Blue, which was a bully when it moved in but Foxface showed its spines and Yellow Tang showed that it also has its own scalpels. Now the "Big Three" all get along and even feed together peacefully on the nori trough.

Ordered them with a small Maxima Clam that I could not find anywhere locally. Needed $30 more for free shipping. The only LFS within a reasonable drive is Aquarium Concepts...I checked last week and it was still closed. Dealing with 580 traffic in Pleasanton/Dublin (regardless of time of day) is insane, so it's a major journey to leave the TriValley for other LFS.
I definitely understand that. After spending all week in traffic the last thing I want to sit in more on my time off. Good luck with the new fish

Aquatic collection is worth the drive. Trust me

Back