Cali Kid Corals

Maui Ocean Center (Picture heavy)

I went Maui with the s.o. in January of this year, and I finally managed to upload them easily, and I'm just really bored now... while I hear Waikiki is a great place too, this place definitely had quite a bit of "cool factor" in it.

All of the photos are located here, I'll just post some select ones here because there's 94 files, finally figuring out how to make photoshop auto resize and white balance them was a time saver and a half.
http://s419.photobucket.com/albums/pp278/MikeSF-reef/Maui%20Ocean%20Center/
This is the first time I've used photobucket to host pictures, but it seemed a bit easier and more user friendly than imageshack so please let me know if the link above works or not.

Getting expensive ideas from this display.....
P1020052.jpg

This fish was a complete camera hog and wanted in every damn shot I did of the tank
P1020066.jpg

Is this where Lapsan got his inspiration? :D
P1020072.jpg

Made me think of Norman.. major PITA to get a pic of this quality too!
P1020135.jpg

This is why you should never try to catch (or pet) tangs with your barehands... look at the bright orange area
P1020158.jpg

A bit blurry... but hey it's an idea!
P1020198.jpg

How's that for frag racks? 1" steel square tube! I thought that wasn't reef safe!
P1020199.jpg

Actually this is the tank that gave me crazy (expensive) ideas, more of a natural lagoon feel.. unfortunately the weather isn't 70-80 year round here that I could do without heaters.... being as I don't have a constant supply of ocean water to cycle through.
P1020234.jpg

Ok everyone say it with me... humu-humu-nuku-nuku-apu-a-a
P1020236.jpg

Mike, coral candy is an old style of propping. It's WIDELY used in Europe but not so much in the states.

Coral Candy is hanging coral from strings to all sides get light and flow. It grows colonies quicker :)

Is that the official name for it? I remember reading it in a book quite a while back (Calfo?), and trying it myself (unfortunately the prop tank didn't last long enough to view any results), I think Norman also tried something like that too.. .un sure.

Ian: What part of Hawaii are you from?

Ah, well this place isn't in an "obvious" location. It's in the marina near the inlet on the west side of the island, not in big touristy areas or anything though, but very accessible by the highway :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4413.msg53727#msg53727 date=1219777607]
Is that the official name for it? I remember reading it in a book quite a while back (Calfo?), and trying it myself (unfortunately the prop tank didn't last long enough to view any results), I think Norman also tried something like that too.. .un sure.

Ian: What part of Hawaii are you from?

[/quote]

Not sure about official but that is what everyone I know calls it :) EU and US :)

Back