High Tide Aquatics

Maxi-Mini anenome movement

Over the past few months I've seen quite a # of really pretty mini-anenomes at LFSs. I't makes me consider getting a couple but I'm concerned about how much they might move in the tank and in doing so sting some prized corals. I'm curious about people's experiences with them moving around in the tank and if there are any barriers, like having a rock surrounded by fine sand, that would keep them in 1 place.

I have 2 of them and they are isolated on a rock island. Mine like to wedge their foot in between cracks. Kept a open brain next to one of them and didn't get stung.

i have 3 of them and they really havnt moved from where i placed them. One wandered around the rock i put it on and hit a colony of zoas, but ended up crawling into a crack away from them.

According to Gary Majchrzac (the guy on RC whos been keeping these for years) the minis move around alot more than the maxi minis. I did a search on his post on RC and learned alot about them before purchasing any.

They WILL crawl all over the place if they're not happy. But it's easy to put them somewhere where they'll be happy. Stick them at the border between rock and sand, or somewhere they can bury their foot in a crevice, with full light, and odds are they'll never move much.

They also don't sting nearly as badly as most anemones. Enough to irritate most corals, but not an instant-destruction thing.

mininems.jpg

Back