got ethical husbandry?

Maxi mini nems

Thanks Jon.

Jason I will let you know.

Gregory, from what I know these maxi minis don't pose much of a harm to fish. They can get up to about 5"s big though. The biggest one I have was almost 4" before I cut it.

Cool site. Do we get a lot of these nem's in any Bay Area LFS?

Viet gave me a frag of his GBTA that got shredded into the sump, size of a fingernail, and I've grown it to about triple that size now. Still too small for my clown to host, but not sure if I want to keep growing or buy another nem haha.

Does anyone know if this one is common, saw it on extreme corals?
ane_4-27-28-1.jpg

There are very little of them in the Bay Area and I don't know of any stores besides Atlantis that sell them (Neptunes?), and IIRC ATL sells them for a couple hundred ea?

I've noticed that if pictures are taken from straight above the object (corals, fish, anemone, etc.) seems much more colorful. That may turn out to be an electric green instead of a lime green. The oral disc looks royal blue in that picture, so it could have been photoshopped or dyed.

There's very few in the Bay Area and I have never seen a maxi mini in a LFS here. Only exception is that Atlantis used to have the Atlantis Red Mini Carpet for $200, but I don't think they have had it in stock for a very long time. The Atlantis red is completely blood red.

http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/inv503.html

I saw some 3"+ Maxi Minis at Aquatic Central and they were way less than $200. I didn't get a good look at them, but they looked brownish-greenish from 10ft away.

Euphyllia said:
The oral disc looks royal blue in that picture, so it could have been photoshopped or dyed.

Ugh. If it were PS'd it would have other artifacts you could see... it's not Ps'd.

Dyed results in a single color accept for a few anems, like malu, that have other colors that won't be effected. It's rare to get a dyed bubble tip, very rare. They are not a target of those the dye anemones.

It's most likely just how the light is playing off the disc and probably simply a darker part of the animal.

They have some of these on ocean street at Aquatic Central, they seemed pretty cool. I was wondering if anyone who's had them a while knew if they moved around like anenomes? Or do they behave more like mushrooms?

GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:
The oral disc looks royal blue in that picture, so it could have been photoshopped or dyed.

Ugh. If it were PS'd it would have other artifacts you could see... it's not Ps'd.

Dyed results in a single color accept for a few anems, like malu, that have other colors that won't be effected. It's rare to get a dyed bubble tip, very rare. They are not a target of those the dye anemones.

It's most likely just how the light is playing off the disc and probably simply a darker part of the animal.
+ or it's under LEDs I made a post about an optical illusion I noticed with LEDs and my nem

Matt_Wandell said:
They walk, and they also detach and float off like some mushrooms.

The normal mini's do that, but I haven't head of the "maxi minis" doing that.

The Maxi's seem to find a spot they like, then stay there, with my limited experience. The normal minis move a lot, detach, etc.

FWIW it looks like the new red one is splitting as well :)

Question: I continued my baymac weekend rampage and ordered the YBTA and a Blasto from Extreme Corals. Are you supposed to (or is it safe) to dip these as well? I have Revive.

GreshamH said:
Matt_Wandell said:
They walk, and they also detach and float off like some mushrooms.

The normal mini's do that, but I haven't head of the "maxi minis" doing that.

The Maxi's seem to find a spot they like, then stay there, with my limited experience. The normal minis move a lot, detach, etc.

FWIW it looks like the new red one is splitting as well :)

The maxi minis move too. Maybe not as much as the minis, but they move.

Not saying they don't move, but rather they don't exhibit the same "detach and float off" as the regular minis do. I haven't seen any reports of that, and none of mine have done that :) They also seem to move much much less. The regular minis roam like no ones business.

Back