High Tide Aquatics

Maxima Clam Question

My small Maxa clam keeps laying on it's side in the tank. I sit it up right but by the next day it is on it's side again. I have even tried moving it to different areas in the tank. It's mantle is also no opening very much. Any ideas on how I can get it to stay upright? I hope by doing this it's mantle will start to open more.

Your stressing it. They can move themselves (away or to the light) and yours doesn't appear to like where it is :D

I would make a bowl for it by getting a small tupperware shallow flat bottom container that is slightly larger than the clam, put about 1/2" of sand at the bottom, and then put the clam in it. Make an indentation in the sand with your finger, place the clam in it by the side of the bowl, this will help keep the clam upright. After the clam is upright in the bowl, put the whole thing in the bottom of the tank and LEAVE IT ALONE. Once it grows larger at least double in size and be able to stand on it's own two feet ... LOL ... j/k you can take it out of the bowl and place it where you want to.

The thing with baby clam is they don't like to be move around too much, this will stress them out and they will die.

What some do with small clams is form a small base out of epoxy putty that conforms to the shell. When it cures, place the clam into the base which can be placed on the bottom of the tank or glued on a rock in the lower half. The clam will most often attache to the base you've made. It is also insurance that a bristle worm won't tunnel under your substrate and chew a door in the clam's soft hinge area and continue by enjoying a clam feed.

Back