Maxspect XF250 Dual gyre plus ice cap battery backup - $550

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Reefinglens, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Reefinglens

Reefinglens Supporting Member

For sale is a Maxspect XF250 dual gyre ($499 MSRP) with an ice cap battery backup ($109 MSRP). They're all BNIB never even opened. Asking $550. Was planning on using this on my reef tank, but decided to go a different route.

Will sell without back up battery for $450

Call or text if interested 510-367-2447.
    [​IMG]
    Located in Eastbay can also meet in Northbay.
    Also posted on eBay.

Here is Maxspect's website for more info.

http://www.maxspect.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=87&lang=en

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I don't see the controller unit there, presumably one of them did come with it?

3. Reefinglens

Reefinglens Supporting Member

The larger box on the right is the main unit which has the controller, the one on the left is the secondary pump only.

4. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

The box with the controller is double size thickness reason you don't see it in the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. sfsuphysics

ah I see. didn't know they have the same box art/pictures/wording for the more expensive controller (necessary) version.

That said, while I am interested in trying a the gyres, don't need/want the icecap battery backup.

GLWS

6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I would really be into at least one of these for my tank, but I really don't wanna have any cords in the tank...wish they could figure that out somehow.

7. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

That's the reason I haven't "pulled the plug" and tried one either. I hate cords in there.

8. sfsuphysics

Man need to have a DIY session like the rocks, showing people how to hide cords :D

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

If I show you how to do that as well as I showed you how to do the rocks I'd show up 2 hours late and wind up having more cords in your tank after I was done.

10. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Seriously tho. For me hiding cords is not having them. Vortechs only for me. I don't even want an overflow box in my tank anymore. F cords

Bruce Spiegelman likes this.
  11. sfsuphysics

I was talking more about getting clever in covering the cords, but sure use Vortechs :D

12. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman BOD

It's exactly the reason I use Vortechs. That and ease of cleaning. I don't have to worry about yanking a pumphead with the cord out and then tracing behind the cabinet and then into the cabinet to unplug it, etc. I can clean in 30 seconds at every water change.

13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I didn't think the Vortech design was all that great. Yeah the cables weren't IN the tank but the size of the part that is in the tank is pretty close to the size of the WAV and it isn't directional at all. With the WAV I've got probably 20 degrees I can rotate it in any direction. With the Vortech I'm stuck with it being perpendicular to whatever surface it's on. Plus it's not like the Vortech is wireless; the wire is just on the outside where, in my opinion, it's even more visible because the profile of the dry side motor is huge in comparison to the magnet that the WAV uses. The only real advantage I see with them is if you happen to have a tank setup where it is set into a wall so that only the front panel of the tank is visible. They are still great pumps. I had an mp10 in my 30 gallon and really liked its performance but, in my opinion, the WAV is superior.

14. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Different pumps Definitely have their applications, like these gyres. Super cool, just not what I want for my tank. I have one side that isn't viewable, so perfect for the mp60, and then the 3 mp40 s on the back wall can't be seen as the back wall is painted black, so aside from the directionality, which with the placement I have isn't an issue for me, the vortechs are ideal for my tank.
    I came really close to putting a gyre at the top middle of the tank, but went with the no cord option and put a vortechs down at the bottom of the back middle. Working well to prevent detritus from settling.