High Tide Aquatics

May I watch?

Hehe, don't worry, not one of those weirdo "I wanna watch for Christmas" deals. :bigsmile:

I'd like to ask any of our accomplished propagators to invite me to watch your next session of the more complex surgeries. I've only done the standard gluing an acro frag to a plug or carefully separating a zoa coloney into two. What I'd like to learn is techniques for cutting and propagating LPS, Monti's, Chalice (both true and fake hehe) Favias, blastos.............................all, I want it all and am eagar to learn the correct techniques that have been refined "the hard way".

So, if you are planning any of the above such activity, please let me know 'cause I'd love to watch. 0:)

Woooooooooo, never thought of that angle! Thanks, Bud! 8)

I remember the old fishing slogan, "Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day and make up lies" (hehe)

As soon as I get my band saw back I can probably demonstrate some different techniques for you.

I have a few pieces I need to frag up.

seminolecpa said:
As soon as I get my band saw back I can probably demonstrate some different techniques for you.

I have a few pieces I need to frag up.

I've got a bit of stuff that needs to visit "the saw", perhaps we can do something at the next BOD meeting.

Fragging voyeur - one that likes to watch corals get fragged :) I see a website coming :lol:

I've always said, "There's nothing like a good fragging'!

Thanks Bryan. I'll keep my schedule flexible and look forward to it. I was making an acan coloney of about 25 mouths very nervous this AM as I looked at it and went..."hmmmmmmm"

Also, Gresham is right, sometimes I just want to watch a good fragging and other times I want to participate. Heck, sometimes I enjoy a good fragging alone!

I'll tell my acan coloney, "don't worry, everything is going to be "OK" you'll feel ounces lighter after the surgery" and plan to haul it with me.

I'd like to frag a superman monti that has gone wild in the last few months. I'm planning to use the thin cut-off wheel on my dremel and just go easy and minimize the heat. I'm thinking of affixing 3/4" hunks on maybe 5 frag plugs. Any suggestions beyond what I'm thinking here?

Many Tanks,

screebo said:
I'll tell my acan coloney, "don't worry, everything is going to be "OK" you'll feel ounces lighter after the surgery" and plan to haul it with me.

Sounds like what I am going to have to tell my puppy before long.

quagmire-731058.jpg

For that you will have to frame it so it's got part of the door and door frame in the show so you know it's from a closet.

We'll need nightcam shots as well :)

The last frag session at a BOD meeting had me cutting up a blasto. A little more talking about why the cutter is choosing the line of saw would be great. I did cross cut a dendrophyllia and the mother colony did not like it. The frag is Ok. It would have been better to separate each head down through the base. Didn't live and learn, ouch.

On the blasto I used a dremel and it cut well. One tiny piece without a full polyp grew out. That was after witnessing Jeremy cut up some for Sherri.

Dremels are nice but can't get as clean a cut nor can they frag up a small piece as easily.

I used to use a dremel and even a tile saw and found that not only can I make more frags with the bandsaw, the frags and mother colony has a much quicker recovery period.

Is this a standard machinist's band saw? Is the blade a grit blade and how thick is it? Thanks. I know we don't all need our own band saws but I do come from a machining background and I am curious.

Thanks, Bryan

Back