Cali Kid Corals

Measuring RO System Chlorine

MolaMola

Supporting Member
After a past awesome thread about RO-DI stages and when to replace media, I got a flow meter so I will be able to easily keep track of volume of water processed.
Also got Total Chlorine test strips. My tapwater has chloramine. However, my tapwater and water after catalytic carbon and a carbon block both read 0. Why is that?
I have not tested rejected water or water from flushing membrane.
Chlorine.jpg

As Randy said, the carbon are the stages that are supposed to deal with the chloramines, so all is working as expected, you do not want chlorine (or chloramines) getting to your RO membrane if possible as they supposedly damage the membrane (to what extent I don't know). I do recall reading that it actually breaks it up into ammonia that gets delt with a bit better your membrane and/or resin, and if randy's links show that well my bad I'm just to lazy to click and read :D

Yes, just thought I could measure it to know when it’s time to change it and prevent damaging RO membrane. Flow meter will be very helpful.

Absolute can and should measure it, the rating on the carbon is really only an average flow based on a particular level of chloramine or chlorine. Who knows if your local municipality puts more or less than the tested amount

Back