Meeting Location

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by seminolecpa, Dec 19, 2005.

1. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

As a relatively new member I am curious if all of the meetings take place at the same location.

2. Apon

Apon Volunteer

So far yes, all at ASAP. Directions on the website.

3. seminolecpa

That is what I thought just wanted to be sure before I spoke of something else.

Here is my suggestion. Forgive me if it has been tried or brought up before.

My former club DFWMAS encompassed a very large member area similar to the one here. One of the ways they ensured good attendence at meetings (which from what I have read is a problem and hence the drop to 6 meetings a year) was to have the meetings at various locations throughout the membership area. The meetings were held anywhere from church meeting rooms to area LFS's.

This provided a two-fold benefit.
    1) It allowed a better participation on a regular basis
    2) When held at LFS's it not only provided a means to check out new stores but it allowed the LFS owners to showcase many of their items and even provide discounts to the general membership before and after the meetings.

Like I said this may have already been discussed ad naseum or even suggested and killed before as this is a much different area and space isn't as readily available.

Die hards will make meetings no matter where you have them, but this could be a big advantage to tap the membership who is more time or location sensitive.

4. Thales

Thales Past President

All suggestions are welcome! Even if they have been discussed before, discussing them again may kick off all kinds of ideas. And, I really like the way DFWMAS does things.
    When BARE had meetings all over the place people said they wanted them in one place so they didn't have to think about where the meeting was. Turn turn turn! :D
    I think there are two compelling reasons to have them at the ASAP. ASAP is an incredible location. But, the main reason is I don't think we yet have the administrative infrastructure/support to pull of multiple locations.

5. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I like the idea of multiple locations. Perhaps "major" issues being at ASAP, but if there's every a DIY or something that doesn't require a speaker/etc, some other location might be nice... Issues though is where to have it. Personally I think it's just those on the other side of the pond not wanting to spend $3 on bridge toll ;)

6. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

If they move to SF, I'll have to pass. Until the Bay Bridge is done, I'm boycotting the city :D

7. capescuba

capescuba Supporting Member

Is our insurance also tied to ASAP in any way? Or can we meet at anyones house / locatiopn, trash it and still make a claim ;)

8. seminolecpa

Thanks Gresham you just made my point exactly. Looking at the Frappar map it seems like 1/2 of the members on it have a pretty long drive to Hayward. Hard to justify a 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour round trip commute including dealing with the bridge for a 1 hour meeting when you have 1 family car.

Like I said just a suggestion in the dark without really knowing the other issues. I completely understand the logistics issues.

This is a Bay Area club though and not just an East bay Club isn't it?

9. Thales

Thales Past President

I was looking at the Frapper map and noticed that I was the only one of the 4 people in Alameda that had entered my info. I think there are 48 entries in the Frappr map, while there are 120+registered club members. :D

If you have the juice for organizing and logistics, we could easily run the 6 meetings on the odd months in a different location. I'll have to check on our insurance, but that might be a great idea! Now that I write that I actually like the idea a lot. I am working on a behind the scenes tour of Stienhart, and one of the clubs off months would be a great time to hold the tour.

:D

10. seminolecpa

Don't really have a ton of connections in the area yet, but I will see what I can find out. I will also talk to Marc Levinson to see if I can get some ideas from him as to how he does it.

11. Thales

Thales Past President

I just stickied the frapper thread, maybe that will get more entries.

I think I really like the idea of 'satallite' meetings on the clubs 'off' months. They could be about anything anywhere. We could meet for lunch and talk, decend on a LFS and arrange some kind of buying deal with them, tank tours, LFS tours, tidepooling, scuba diving, Stienhart, Monterey, BBQ, A tour of Stillmans lab, a tour of Caldwells lab, help unpack a shipment at ASAP - I'm just brainstorming here. Any and all ideas welcome.

We would need someone to do the logistics though. :D

12. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Wow... the satellite meetings would be way cool!

13. capescuba

I would be more than happy to host a meeting at my place when then weather gets a little nicer - fire up the BBQ etc. I have a good size deck so gathering outside would be best. Problem is, I am also in the East Bay so still means people heading out from other places. It would add a spice of variety to things and help with better networking I think

14. Thales

Thales Past President

Cool. I don't think we really need connections, rather someone to oversee the projects. Heck, we could have 6 people plan six different meetings, we just need someone to make sure it happens. :D

Did I mention I really like the idea? :D

15. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

ooh sounds good im interested in doing some of those activities.

16. LordHelmet

LordHelmet Supporting Member

I am totally digging this! off months being satallite meetings would be perfect!

17. jedininja

jedininja Guest

Sounds awesome. 6 satellite meetings that are less formal can be tons of fun. In addition to what was already listed, we could go tidepooling, meet at a LFS, buy colonies and split them, or even go to the IMAX when they have the reef movies.

18. capescuba

Hell let's just break out the scuba gear and get down to Monterrey for a dive weekend :D

19. jedininja

jedininja Guest

I've gotta get certified first, but I wouldnt mind doing that. I've been wanting to get certified for a while now, just never got around to it.

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Ahem, I live in Santa Cruz ;) It's a mear 70 mile drive for me :D SF is even further and WAY harder due to the lame SF traffic.

I'll say it again, I definitly won't be attending meetings, nor helping organize meetings elsewhere. Having worked the LFS/wholesale scene for many years, there isn't a store IMO the could host an event, well, other then Joe @ UWW (if he's even still around). ASAP is perfect for us, and they're insane hosts. We moved up from a LFS, I can't grasp why we'd downgrade back into a small space. JMHO though.

The "satalite" odd month meetings does sound interesting, but, I have only enough time/juice for the 6 I have to plan now. My role as VP is meeting cordinator and I can't do another 6, mainly due to me having to travel alot next year for work. If others want to plan them entirelly, I have no objections.