Meeting suggestions? :)

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Mr. Ugly, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

The April meeting turned out super cool. Great presentation, humungo raffle, progress on the "Don't Break the Chain" project, and some new faces.

4 more meetings to go for the rest of the year. How about brainstorming some topics and activities for the remaining meetings to help BAR plan and organize them into something fun, interesting, and worthwhile?

Some suggestions so far have included:

- A hands on DIY project
    - Educational lecture (pick some topics!)
    - Fragging workshop
    - Frag mounting workshop
    - Flea market and picnic
    - DIY tips and techniques(power tools, acrylic work, plumbing, safety)

What are people interested in? Suggestion and comments? June meeting can default to "Everybody Give Freebie Corals to Mr. Ugly" if we can't decide :)

2. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Be prepared for a 4 page long rant/reply ;) Actually no I have things I should be doing so I'll try to keep things brief.

DIY projects sounds good, some things I think that would be of interest are the higher end items (aka expensive) and perhaps some often used items/techniques. These regardless if we did it before in the past! Some ideas just off the top of my o safely wire up lighting, electrical panel, would be nice.
    head, calcium reactor (pricier of items), kalk reactor (quite pricy considering what it does!), DIY sumps using regular stuff (ie a regular tank sitting around and you squeeze baffles,etc into it rather than build a whole tank from scratch), reflectors (given some time I bet I could make a half-assed decent luminarc clone but have to be careful here so we don't violate any patents.. ie change it just enough), agro-rocks, plugs, etc (I'm not interested in these things but some might), overflow devices (including drilling glass, acrylic is too easy to drill IMO to be worth a DIY class). DIY controller setup, there was a real nice talk by Andy some time back and there are plans for free-ware type software to plug a router into but all of it is in computer-eze need to dumb it down a bit for DIYers who might not know computer stuff but can solder some parts together or load software but can't program *nix.

Educational topics - I think things that people tend to neglect/not know would be quite helpful.
    Some topics perhaps flow patterns in tanks, maybe some visual demos of various systems, ie tunze,seio, etc power heads, closed loops, manifold returns, oscilating wavemaking devices, setup up a few tanks with various devices toss in some light density sand and show how flow goes around etc.
    Aquascaping 101, some helpful hints in how to place rocks via all sorts of methods, gravity, epoxy, acrylic rods & drilling, superstructure, etc. Also mention how to incorporate flow around said structures, perhaps how to use structures how to hide stuff in the tank to give it that au' natural look.
    Safely quarantining fish, corals & inverts, how to set this up, what to look for in the way of disease (or atleast reference to website since there's a buttload of diseases/pests). How to dip freshwater, iodine, or interceptor (whatever is out there).
    How to setup a surge (also could be a DIY combo) complete with all the logistics of what you need to make it work (ie lots of sump volume with regard to the surge size) , what things you can expect (bubbles, harsh flow, etc).

Fragging Workshop- Nice, but need to find a way to make it more educational. All the colonies and such were loose colonies, nothing was attached to anything (which is how it is in our tanks) so this typically means submerging tools or removing a rock (can't shove a tile saw into a tank!). Need to make it more than just a workshop that gets free stuff (which I don't mind IMHO, but perhaps lower the total amount of frags that will be available and/or require signups and no last minute showups, last frag shop everyone got a ton of frags, and 3x as many people showed up after they started to chop stuff up!). Maybe combine this with the frag mounting workshop, go over various techniques for EVERYTHING, this mean reduce the number of sticks! Not too many techniques for putting superglue on the bottom and attaching to rock. However mounting zoos, shrooms, polyps, and all other softies are ironically MUCH more difficult to do for easier to keep type corals.

Flea market- this would be nice, need to find someone with the room to hold it, I've thought of it in my garage (sometime in the future when it's all cleaned out :)), but unless club insurance covered any hazards inside the house (not so much water, but people slipping and suing.. not that anyone would, but the possibility would make me stay away from inviting those over for this). Sell off space so everyone doesn't just bring their junk, perhaps charge more for "electrified" space (ie those who want tanks, pumps & lights for their corals), and then find some place for this money to go to (obvious some to the hoster for cleanup & electricity costs, but perhaps future raffle prizes.. more than just donation type prizes), and of course someone with a BBQ so then can munch some food :)

DIY tips- I think how to properly glue acrylic or pvc would be great. Maybe electrical safety 101 or how-to wire up ballasts, electrical panels, etc
    Anyways that's enough rambling :)

3. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Hey Norman,

I'd like to see a DIY on acrylic work or plumbing. Ideally, this would be something where part of the meeting is deicated to tips and techniques, part is hands on where we all get a chance to work on teams making something.

I'd also be interested in educational lectures on any topic, including:

Sponges in the reef aquarium
    "magic mud" what is it and what does it do (or not do)

I'll try to think of more.

BTW, I thought the last meeting topic was "everybody give freebie corals to Mr. Ugly". If we do that again, your going to need to move the couch out of the living room to make room for another tank!

;-)

-Charles

4. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

How about a talk on tank automation Neptune systems) they are local in san jose area, DIY auto top off system or a trip to monterey aquarium.

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

So, your asking for a product talk, on a item only a few of you have :D

6. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Great ideas:) Let's keep them coming!

I posted on RC about doing a meeting on tank photography:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=7146221#post7146221

Maybe Jim and others could do a presentation and a hands on practical on a demo tank.

7. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Actually, I would be interested in hearing war stories about what went wrong with automation systems as a way of collectively learning from the mistakes others have encountered.

8. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Move the couch?? Where am I gonna sleep then??!

9. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I emailed a retired electrician friend to ask if he'd like to do a presentation and a hands on how-to on tank related electrical stuff.

10. dswong01

How about DIY tank ground probes?

11. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Sure, just keep adding ideas here. Brainstorming time right now! We can pick later :)

12. dswong01

Water Bed

13. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Yeah, but should it have a ground probe? :)

14. dswong01

Gotta throw in Frag swap

15. bareefers

bareefers BOD

Topic discussion meetings.Take polls on topics such as dsb vs bb pros and cons and so on and see what people want to discuss.

16. Thales

Thales Past President

To not step on other clubs toes, the swap should be in January.
    :D

17. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Ok Rich, I know you're out there, and I know what you're doing! :)

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Sounds evil :D

19. Thales

Thales Past President

Who me? What? :D

20. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

A bump with some more topics...

Presentation of various coral and/or fish dips and treatments. Explanation of how to diagnose ailments and select treatment procedure. Provide specifics as to dosage rate, treatment time, caveats.

Maybe demo setting up a quickie quarantine system for corals(and/or fish), with step by step guide for what to do with all those frags you bring home from the swaps(or the store, for that matter). What pests and diseases do we look for during the quarantine process. How long does it last. What to dose, when to dose, and in what sequence.

Maybe a handson demo with sick corals. How to rescue zoas with nudibranchs. How to treat fungus-y zoas. What do red bugs look like in person. What do monti nudis and their eggs look like.