Meeting suggestions? :)

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Mr. Ugly, Apr 9, 2006.

1. wakskat

wakskat Guest

I think that a lot of people would benefit from a meeting with that topic.

2. Apon

Apon Volunteer

You know I was thinking about doing a meeting or side meeting about under water photography. Small meeting where people can bring in their cameras and we can practice taking nice shots. Not sure how many would be interested or who would lead it, but considering it.

3. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Photography, sure! Set up a tank in the meeting room. Jim could give a talk on the basics of how to shoot your tank. Everybody could practice taking pics of the demo tank.

We could even put the pics up on the screen with the LCD projector so everyone can see and learn.

4. bareefers

bareefers BOD

How about how to set up a calcium/kalk reactors/lime water.

5. capescuba

capescuba Supporting Member

I have a decent underwater camera / video set-up - be happy to share my experience. I also have some PADI training videos somewhere about Underwater Photography. Be happy to share my experience on this - I know more about this than I do keeping corals for sure ;)

6. Thales

Thales Past President

Me too. I have done video for various companies, the Birch Aquarium at Scripps and the Discovery Channel - much of those from aquaria instead of the wild.
    :D

7. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

ok lots of good ideas coming in and they need to be laid out in an organized manner, I will do that but I won't have time to do that until this coming week (Spring Break for kiddies means spring break for me.. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO). So if we keep getting ideas going I can lay out in a nice organized manner. :)

8. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Yep, lots of good options here :)

Mike, the coming week would be great. That would give the rest of the week and weekend for people to suggest topics.

If you summarize the info, we could probably zero in on the June meeting topic by the end of next week. Then we could go through Rich's mega-list as a kind of checklist or template, and figure out who can do what for June.

We'll have a June meeting plan laid out pretty early, and we'll all have a chance to check for overlooked items.

9. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

I do like the photography and video topic :) Especially as it sounds like we have several people who could share in doing a presentation for us photography illiterates!

10. sfsuphysics

I have my homemade acrylic box for shooting top down photos under the surface as well... assuming you have a steady hand... I believe Melev's Reef has a similar one (since I got flamed when I was happy about creating it)

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Shuoulda flamed back, Marc didn't create it either :D They've been around for decades.

12. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

A couple of months ago I attended a meeting from Seabay - Reef Protection International - it was pretty informative.

Drew Weiner was the speaker!

Albeit it is more aimed at beginners on proper selection of fish and such for our reef tanks. Did I mention he's local too!

13. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Remember MandarinFish (JakeF)?

14. jimsar

jimsar Guest

BAR's got lots of resources. John (Piberoptikz) is a pro. I'm sure he'll be happy to share his knowledge as well.

15. Thales

Thales Past President

He begged us to speak at one of our meetings. Then canceled and rescheduled. We rescheduled 2 months in advance and he canceled again two weeks before the meeting with several reasons why - one of which was he couldn't be there because he had family in town (another was that we didn't tell what to speak about even though he never asked us). So we were able to get someone for CORL to speak to us. Somehow Drew was able to make it to the meeting to hear what CORL had to say. RPI is also tied up with MAC.
    This is not to say we shouldn't have him, just some background. :D

16. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Actually, RPI is a funding enemy with MAC, so it's just the opposite. In the beginning, RPI didn't have anything good to say about MAC;) If they've changed their tune recently, it's only to catch a free ride.

17. Raddogz

Raddogz Guest

Okay, call me an idiot then what's MAC?

18. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Marine Aquarium Council. See www.reefs.org Industry Behind The Hobby forum and be prepared to take a few years reading it :D

19. sfsuphysics

Ok as promised, a nice prettier picture of the ideas.
    Some topics are listed in more than one catagory due to the fact that there easily can be some crossover (you know how to build one.. fine now how do I use it?), posted in no particular order except how they're listed in the topic.

DIY Projects
    -Electric power center
    -Calcium Reactor
    -Kalk Reactor
    -Reflectors (and other lighting related, ie ballasts and the like)
    -Agro-rocks & plugs
    -Controller

Educational Projects
    -Flow Patterns & devices that make them, powerheads, closed loops, oscillation devices
    -Aquascaping 101
    -Quarantine tips, including how to treat diseases/parasites, what to look for
    -Setting up a sump from a spare tank
    -Overflow how-tos & plumbing
    -Surge devices
    -Sponges
    -Substrate types (sand [dsb/ssb], miracle mud, magic mud, etc)
    -Setting up a calcium reactor
    -Setting up a Kalk reactor
    -Proper use of lime water (Calcium hydroxide)
    -Automating the aquarium & controllers
    -Lighting setup/benefits
    -Electrical safety (ground probes, and why you shouldn't use them ;))
    -Photography 101
    -Reef protection
    -Proper fish selection

Hands on How-to
    -Drilling glass, acrylic, other things
    -Sump setup
    -Setting up calc/kalk reactors
    -Setting up a skimmer (various kinds)
    -Frag workshop including mounting, and underwater fragging (no above water clipping!)
    -Electrical wiring (ground probes)
    -Acrylic fabrication demos (gluing etc)
    -Plumbing demos
    -Photography Testing (those with cameras)
    -Agro-rock/frag plug making

Other
    Flea Market/BBQ
    Hope I didn't forget anything

20. capescuba

capescuba Supporting Member

Nice list Mike! Kudos!