Jestersix

Melting Paly Frags

could be, or you just aren't used to looking at things that small. I spent a few years counting copepods. 50µm looks like a sand grain from a few feet away, but I can still count it :) can I read 50µm text, hell no :lol:

Not an amphiopod. It is maybe 1/2 or less the size of one. The last time I saw one in my tank was when I had caluerpa. It does look like a pill bug, but a more circular super tiny one.

Euphyllia said:
Not an amphiopod. It is maybe 1/2 or less the size of one. The last time I saw one in my tank was when I had caluerpa. It does look like a pill bug, but a more circular super tiny one.

hate to break it to you but amphipods have many life stages of which there are smaller ones ;) There are also numerous species, so size is not a trait you should be looking for. Take isopods for instance. There are ones that you can barely see and there are ones that get 2' long.

Do the legs stick down or out?

Pillbug body shape is an amphipod or isopod.

GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:

hate to break it to you but amphipods have many life stages of which there are smaller ones ;) There are also numerous species, so size is not a trait you should be looking for. Take isopods for instance. There are ones that you can barely see and there are ones that get 2' long.

I dunno... I flushed it down the toilet because it looked scary. :glasses:

Euphyllia said:
GreshamH said:
Euphyllia said:

I dunno... I flushed it down the toilet because it looked scary. :glasses:

That is a BAD thing to do, and even worse to admit to on this forum. It's very irresponsible for an aquarist to use the city sewer to get rid of any animal from their tank, or plant/algae for that matter.

Why post about something and ask questions if you're just going to kill the thing part way through the conversation prior to learning ANYTING? Now we can't help you any further and you'll never know if it was a bad thing or just a normal thing (which I think it was and you over reacted...) You're loosing people here that want to help you by doing lame stuff like this :(

Matthew, that kind of stuff makes some of us go back and forth between wanting to help you and wanting you to get out of reefing forever.

I'm not kidding.

Would be nice if we could help you.

OK. Next time I won't dispose of it until the end of the discussion and I'll throw it in the yard or freeze it when done with it. I think it may have already been dead from stress and it was far too small for me to see its legs.

Well, maybe it was ok you flushed it...

coconut-crab-2.jpg

j/k!

:D

Euphyllia said:
OK. Next time I won't dispose of it until the end of the discussion and I'll throw it in the yard or freeze it when done with it. I think it may have already been dead from stress and it was far too small for me to see its legs.

Don't toss it in the yard as well. Consider everything you have in your tank to be an invasive species and treat it as such.

Or freeze it for a few days then wrap it in a bag and put it in a trash can with a lid.

Doesn't fire also work on them? I mean I've seen dozens of zombies get back up from a head shot. You using some special bullet?

Fire would be the best option for the zombies since it would burn them to ashes. Since they are zombies and already dead, a bullet won't do more than just a hole. :glasses:

The coconut crab above you mean? Land crab... I hear they are tasty since they lice on coconut meat.

Back