Member ID Card

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Orion, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Orion

Orion Guest

Today I was at Neptune and while talking to Cerissa, I thought that it will be a great idea to have some type of BAR Member ID Card that we could show to different sponsors at get some discount. Instead of them asking if we are member of a club or we telling them.
    Some of the patrons know a few of us but as our club gets bigger and bigger and we have more and more sponsor I think it is kind of a great idea.
    What do you guys think.

2. Apon

Apon Volunteer

we talked about this before and a few years ago when I was on the BOD. We actually had a card at one time. it was our logo on a card. I think the hard part before was that no one wanted to manage it since we have a rolling 12 month membership. Now that its just a calendar year membership, it should be much easier to do, but its up to the BOD. I am for this idea....the card can also have our mission statement on it.

3. 99sf

99sf Guest

That is a great idea. In San Diego, SDMAS had membership cards created with a nice logo on the front and the list of sponsors on the back of the card.

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

So you three volunteering to find costs on this and implement it? Part of the problem in the past is, the BOD has enough on their plate and "extra" projects need volunteers to step up.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, the discount does not apply to all sponsors and it's actually not really the club but the actual sponsor stepping up. Meaning the club stopped asking for discounts a long time ago and some are just cool like that and give discounts. (it's not a requirement for sponsorship)

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

FWIW if you want I can ask Frank if the club could use the IMACwest card printer and then the club just buys the media. Frank will print them and fedex them back to us. Reef Nutrition would supply lanyards for them and they could be used as name tags at events. IIRC the cost is like .50 a card or less.

6. 99sf

99sf Guest

I will contact the SDMAS membership coordinator and ask about their membership card printing source & costs. I like the lanyard idea for meetings, to serve a dual purpose as IDs.

7. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Hey Gresham, when I was on the BOD the biggest hurdle was the fact that the membership used to expire 12 months from when you joined. If the current BOD approves the idea, yes I would be ok to help. As for the discounts part, as the former sponsorship director, I want everyone to know that not all stores will give you a BAR discount, so its not a given. It has been up to the store. With that being said, we could always ask the stores if they would like to offer a discount, and maybe we could add the store name to the card or something. Just thoughts from me.

8. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Big factors that I remember in this idea being effectively tabled before were:

1) Cost- dues are $20 in which after paypal fees the club nets $19 not exactly a huge margin for cards [especially ones that would be personalized by member]
    2) The George Costanza (sp) wallet- The last thing people need is another friggin card that they would carry around in their wallet.
    3) See #1 , if cards aren't personalized with member details and expiration date how would sponsors that accept them even know that the person is actually a member.
    4) PITA factor- who gets to do the admin and how do we get to members [ a good portion of our members do not make it to meetings]
    5) How many sponsors would actually give a discount?

9. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

If we use our (Fourreef Consortium LLC) card printer it has a database access feature that makes it super easy to customize each one. I suspect we're looking at around $100 total for this but I still need to talk to Frank and get total costs.

I agree on the wallet issue although it's not something you need everyday so in theory it could live in my car along with my fishing license :)

Doesn't everyones card expire on the same day? makes it super easy.... only the name changes and the style is done per year. We could set a limit for membership w/ card for the end of Jan. If we did that I bet I could have the cards for the swap.

How many members do we have now? 200? 300?

10. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

Tough to say as we are in the renewal period. We had roughly 200 last year. I think we are at about 60 or so renewals now including BOD.

Good point on the deadline. The issue of late members (thouse that sign up after Feb 1) would make it a PITA as well because we would have to make them their own cards each time or maybe once a month. If we only gave them out to people who were members by Feb 1 [no exceptions] each year it would be more feasible.

11. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

IMO that is the best method. It's a good reason to get on re-upping your membership early on :)

12. anderson99

anderson99 Guest

"Doesn't everyones card expire on the same day? makes it super easy.... only the name changes and the style is done per year. We could set a limit for membership w/ card for the end of Jan. If we did that I bet I could have the cards for the swap."

My college ID was renewed with a sticker. Everyone had the same style ID and you would receive a new sticker for each term (4/year). Obviously we would only renew once a year so everyone would get one card and then a new sticker each year. I'm sure we could pass out the stickers or mail them out. Total postage would be less than $100 (assuming ~225 members).

I really like the idea and am willing to help.

13. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Cost of envelope, sticker and postage for 225 members is more then $100 ;) Postage alone for 225 stamps (.44ea) is $99.

FWIW these cards are not laminated and are printed on using a ink jet style printer so they aren't a permanent solution (multi-year). I suggest not doing the sticker and remaking every year. It makes it super easy for everyone and anyone to tell if it's the right year or not.

14. Apon

Apon Volunteer

The cards we had in the past were Business cards with a written signature and expiration date, a box of them were super cheap. but I like Gresham idea with Frank better, but it does make it hard to issue cards in the middle of the year....

the validation sticker might be good too.

the business card is easier to distribute because we can control that - and maybe someone has like a laminator or something. Did you see the Don't break the chain cards at IMAC...we could put something like that on it too. It does add another card in the wallet, but not every member has to to have one if they don't want to.

We could do a $1 charge for badges and buy them from Frank? I am sure people won't mind that if they want one. Again I am happy to help out or lead this if it gets approved. I could contact all the local sponsors to see if they want to offer a formal discount again, they all remember me anyways.

I would say that badges have to be picked up at a meeting, no postage and it encourages people to attend a meeting.

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I don't think they'll cost even a buck and that is for supplies alone. Fourreef (Frank, Neal, Skip, Jake and myself) will donate our time and machine and BAR would cover the media costs. IIRC .40 - .50??? I sent Frank an email asking how much they cost.

It's much easier to run the cards just once. Dunno, maybe every other month with pick up only at general meeting could work. let me get pricing first so at least this thread has that :)

16. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Once a quarter would be good too. Can the DTBC or Mission statement be printed on the cards? Just wondering. Still needs to blessing of the BOD. I won't be at the Sat meeting, but maybe it will be brought up?

I think we have 3 options right.

1.) Do nothing no change
    2.) Business Card with lamination? or something
    3,) Nicer Card from Foureef

I think Christina (99SF) was going to check how they do it in the San Diego club too.

17. tuberider

tuberider Guest

This is something that the BOD has been tossing around for years, it seems though there's not enough incentive to warrant the effort.

18. Orion

Orion Guest

Ok I feel like I opened a can of worms.
    But we could add the cost of the ID Card to our membership. For 100 members the cost of postage is $44.00, the cost of envelop is $7.12, let's assume the ID Card cost is $100.00 that will give us a total of $151.12 per 100 members ($1.51 per member).
    We can increase our membership from $20.00 to $22.00 per member giving an extra $0.48 to the club.
    I will be for creating a committe to oversee the project.

19. anderson99

anderson99 Guest

I'll donate 200 envelopes. :)

20. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

There is much more to this discussion than just logistics. While the PITA factor has been an issue in the past this thread is overlooking the greater issues of value, purpose, and image discount cards create.

This thread started because of a conversation Gus had with Robert and Cerrisa. Neptune is a great sponsor and I appreciate their willingness to provide discounts to BAR members.

But to me it seems the primary purpose of these cards is to identify members to LFS in order to get a discount, and that is a problem for me. You see, this club is not about saving members money on supplies, corals, or fish. Our mission:

BAR seeks to promote, foster and encourage education and appreciation for the ethical husbandry and propagation of marine life

I don't see anything in that mission that says, "hey, you don't know me, but fork over my 10% off!"

On the other hand, since we are about encouraging education and appreciation for ethical husbandry and propagation it seems to me LFSs are integral to our mission. They are the places where we meet others, learn, and teach. Its where every new reefer first goes to grow. They are our informal meeting rooms and in many ways the foundation of our community. Using a card to get a discount doesn't seem to help any of that.

Worse, when another customer sees your shiny 10% off card what is likely to happen? Not, "I should join that club so I can learn a lot and become a better reefer!" Instead it will be, "$20 a year = 10% discount". Yuck!

So how should an LFS know you are a BAR member? When you are the one helping others to choose the right animal for their tank, they'll know. When other customers know your name and ask you which pump is better, they'll know. When new customers can't quite tell if you work there, or not, they'll know. Or maybe you don't have the answers, but you know where others can find them... they'll know. ;)

BAR members appear pretty obvious to me when I see one in an LFS.

Membership cards merely tell your LFS what they should already know and do so for a purpose that is inconsistent with our mission. I'd rather the club be associated with it's mission.