Member ID Card

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Orion, Jan 4, 2010.

1. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

That's a great explanation of the issue, Charles! I agree 100%.

2. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Me as well. I've never been one for the discount anyways :)

The value I see is a card that can also be your name tag where ever you go (IMAC, MACNA, BAYMAC, BAR, MARS, etc).

Leave of the whole discount thing out :)

Depending on the price I may just step up and donate the cards, if, the BOD approves.

3. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Now nametags, that's something I can stand behind :D

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Well a name tag that could also be used as a card since it's a normal style credit card. Still waiting on Frank to get back to me with numbers and if our machine can accept the lamination layer as well. Some of the laminates even have holograms :)

5. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Will this be voted on by the BOD? or it looks like the decision has been made? Just want to be clear.

6. Orion

Orion Guest

I never meant this to be an automatic discount for the members. The conversation with Cerissa was about the ID Card to be a cool way to identify the BAR members.
    And yes Robert and Cerissa are very nice and they go out of their way to help whenever they can.
    If the BOD does not like the idea then that is the way it is.
    This was just a WIBGI.......

7. Roc

Roc Guest

why not just do 300 cards that say the year on them, only drawback is someone may let a non member use their card, but most stores offering a discount would give them the discount now if they just said they were a BAR member so it's a wash.

8. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

and that works as a name tag how? ;)

Why pay for more then we need at any rate?

9. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Arnold, the BAR membership cards item is on the agenda for Saturday's meeting and has not been voted on by the 2010 BOD. We will be soliciting additional ideas and opinions from the members at the meeting and voting on the issue.

Gus, I completely agree that this is a WIBGI and discussions like this are exactly why this forum was created.

I've just had 4 or 5 opportunities to consider the issue and in that time I have developed a very strong opinion based on the mission and purpose of our club.

I support and voted in favor of nametags used to make it easier for club members to find others at meetings for the same reasons I support short introductions at the beginning of every meeting. Because we need to make it as easy as possible for DBTC frags to find their new caregivers. Also because it makes it easier to build relationships with new members. But using them to identify BAR members to LFSs is another issue.

That said, Gus, Arnold, Gresham, Imus, and 99sf, I am very happy to see this much interest and commitment. We need more of that attitude around here and I am excited to see this same commitment to other projects this year that the BOD supports. Keep posting WIBGI and volunteering to help make it happen.

10. Apon

Apon Volunteer

Thanks Charles,

One last thought - I like to support our sponsors/LFS- for those who wants to offer a discount its good for our members, but its also good for the lfs to actually to be able to tell who is in our club. When I was doing my rounds with the LFS as a BOD member they often wondered how many customers were actually BAR members, disount or not, some said they would support the club more if they knew their customers were in the club. All I could ever tell them was there were about 150 members in the club.

Name Badges work be good to, but I still wondering if we could put the mission statement on it as well?

11. 99sf

99sf Guest

I checked with the SDMAS membership director and learned that they have their membership cards commercially printed (and mailed individually to club members) by the MAX director in Orange County. I didn't realize how expensive the process was: $5 per card, including mailing. The SDMAS club has a smaller membership base than BAR, and charges $30/year.
    Christina

12. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

One last response ;) - Yes, it is true that a few sponsors might support the club more if they had a better idea of exactly how many BAR members visit their stores. But others that do not offer discounts would be equally put off by having to tell potential customers that discounts are not given. We have heard from some of them that they would have to reconsider their sponsorship support because of the perceived negative impact on their bottom line. So at best it is probably a wash.

But even if not, is more support from LFS sponsors what we need? Every year we respectfully decline MANY sponsorship requests because the organization's business practices are inconsistent with our mission and goals. The last two years the club has run substantial fiscal surpluses, our raffles continue to contain exciting items and create strong membership participation, and we spend much of our time figuring out why it is difficult to give away highly desirable corals for free. That doesn't sound like a club that needs to eek out any more support from LFS sponsors, though I do appreciate all that they provide.

If we were hungry enough for sponsor support that we were willing to soften our commitment to our mission we could do that much more effectively by accepting all sponsorship requests, not that I'd support that. ;)

Instead of trying to figure out how to get more support or discounts from our LFS sponsors, I think the more relevant question is: Given our strengths, generosity, and plenty, how can we further support our LFS sponsors and help them to develop successful business models that are more consistent with our vision.

13. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

One more thing...

Gus, thank you for giving me this opportunity to get on my soap box.

Our BOD spends a lot of time critically analyzing the greater meaning and impact of seemingly innocuous ideas like this. We have discussions like this all the time, but most of the membership is never exposed to it and therefor never fully appreciates the meaning, reasoning, and strongly held vision of the club. Many only see cool ideas and programs, like DBTC, Prop Program, Swaps, ample free coral and generosity, and events like BAYMAC. These are all an important part of why people like this club, but they are also tools used to promote a much greater purpose.

As a result of your WIBGI you've given me the opportunity to share a little of that with everyone in the club; helping them to better understand what it means to be on the BOD, how serious we are about our vision of the club, and how focused we are on applying our mission to our motives and efforts.

[/soapbox] ;)

14. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Not really. It's nickles and dimes compared to other clubs ;) I know of clubs with well over 10K in their coffers :) SCMAS has over $25K but they do a large event and need that to help do the event.

15. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

It's all relative. :)

Nicely put, Charles.

16. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Kevin is making money on them then. There is no ID card that runs even half that much and Kevin would never spring for as many as his event uses if they did. He'd be spending well over $500 just to outfit his crew and like 1.4 of the vendors :)

17. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Your (lack 0f) contact with a vast amount of clubs like me makes the amount large to you but in the scheme of US clubs BAR doesn't end up with much money at the end of the year. If BAR ever wants to take on MACNA as some have suggested then it's going to have to make A LOT MORE MONEY every year ;)

FWIW there have been many BODs and lest you not forget, I sat on two on them myself so the soap boxing is lost on me :lol: :p

I'm pushing this for permanent name tags and not for discount card.

Arnold I'm not sure if I can print both sides or not. I will have to look into that. I suspect I can.

18. cwolfus

cwolfus Past President

Sounds like we have to work a little harder then!

Oh I have not forgotten. ;)

19. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

card cost is like .70 full color. I suspect mono would be cheaper. Our unit does do lamination but I am not sure what the extra cost would be, or if it's even needed.

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Black ink with holograms is about the same price.. $.67