Members only swap in march

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Coral reefer, Dec 31, 2014.

?

How much are you willing to spend to attend the swap?

1. Less than $20

42.9%
  2. $20

28.6%
  3. $30

4.8%
  4. $40

4.8%
  5. $50

14.3%
  6. More than $50

4.8%
  1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

We will be having the annual members only frag swap on march 14th 2015. We need your input on some things. Is lunch important to you? Do you want bonus rounds for members that contribute really nice frags? Are you willing to spend extra money to have the club buy corals from our sponsors to enrich the swap? Are you willing to spend more money to have a sweet RAFFLE? Thats right, I said RAFFLE! Tickets will be given out for paid registration by an early cut off date, and for members bringing excessive amounts of corals to swap. Let me know what you think and we will try to make it the best event we can have!

The more you are willing to spend, the better the quality of the raffle and coral selection in the swap will be.

denzil likes this.
  2. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

The one complaint Ive always had about swaps is it seems that too many people bring the same coral. Tons of birdsnest always seem to be everywhere. I'm glad to see a raffle is back in the mix. Not a big fan of the bonus round but I know a lot of people are. Maybe have a table of high end stuff that only the people who bring those corals can go too? Just a thought

Enderturtle and Coral reefer like this.
  3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Keep in mind you asked for input, and I'm giving my opinion is all :)

Is lunch important to you?
    It's nice, but not that important. I'm an adult, I can go a couple hours without food, or I can plan ahead and bring a snack/food with me. While having food available to buy is nice, I'm not digging the idea of having to pay money to go to the swap and I get whatever food is decided upon. (Which in some cases has been nice, chicken, tri-tip, etc, others burgers and hot dogs)

Do you want bonus rounds for members that contribute really nice frags?
    If done right, sure why not. And by "done right" well there are different ways that could happen. However one direction that should be avoid is a persistent pick, or multiple picks during the same round (excluding perhaps the first). If someone has something that is defined as "really nice" then they probably don't need a ton of picks to get a bunch of corals they either 1) don't want or 2) dilutes the nice (but not really nice) frag availability.

Are you willing to spend extra money to have the club buy corals from our sponsors to enrich the swap?
    Nope. The whole point of the frag swap is to have corals that have been acclimated to a tank environment be distributed to others. No offense to our sponsors but a majority of what is available is stuff they're trying to turn over as quickly as possible (it's business I get it) as a result the long term outlook on the corals is going to be unknown at best, plus I know dipping is highly encouraged (and recommended) but if there is one area where you really are playing russian roulette with pests it's from LFS coral tanks, corals go in and out so quickly and often that any sort of pests will almost assuredly stick around for the long haul, but problems won't be noticed (unless customers constantly complain). If the club wants to spend club funds to get corals, well that's a BoD decision that needs to be made, if you're spending more money on a frag swap to have other corals brought in, then I might as well skip the frag swap and go any number of LFS, hang out near their $10 tank, and get to spend whatever time I want to decide what I want. :)

Are you willing to spend more money to have a sweet RAFFLE? Thats right, I said RAFFLE! Tickets will be given out for paid registration by an early cut off date, and for members bringing excessive amounts of corals to swap.
    Nope. Having a door prize is one thing, but having the cost of a frag swap increased to have more raffle prizes doesn't vibe well with me. I'm not sure if this is the clubs way of having a raffle without it being a raffle by having it declared as a "door prize chance" or what not, but half the point of putting money into a raffle is seeing something that I actually want to win and risk money on, plus again if this is being added to the cost of the frag swap, then you're basically forcing everyone who wants to swap to also buy raffle tickets which isn't cool AND if you're freely giving away tickets to some members because they have "nice stuff" you're basically taking from the poor and giving to the rich.

All in all, I think an option for cost in the poll of $0 should be added for those who don't think that a raffle should cost money. Historically member only raffles have been free, it's a perk of being part of the club, paying your membership, etc, if we're going to charge for members only events you better be very sure to list what your entry fee is actually paying for. I can understand an added cost due to room fees, but all these extra bells and whistles I'm not really interested in, and if this is going to be the norm... I need to rethink whether or not the membership fee is even worth it.

Again, an opinion, not a set of demands or critique on the job you're doing :)

swayd, gimmito and Coral reefer like this.
  4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Unfortunately $0 is not an option due to room costs. Less than $20 is the best option at this point. Keep em coming people. If you don't voice you're opinion I'm only going to listen to bob and mike...

5. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Do you want bonus rounds for members that contribute really nice frags?
    No.
    1) Tough to clearly define "really nice frag?"
    All in the eye of the beholder. I can see that causing more arguments than it solves.
    2) If you bring nice coral, what you want is an early pick, not an extra pick.

+1 on Tankguy's thought of a "Premium Table"

Is lunch important to you?
    A few snacks would be nice. Lunch is overkill.

Are you willing to spend more money to have a sweet RAFFLE?
    Yes.

6. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

Paying $20 at the door and discount in advance to supporting member is totally reasonable at least to cover cost, any proposition to cut cost should be accompanied by a better idea and I don't mean "I heard of a friend who heard of a place why don't you guys call" because I know for a fact that the BOD dont have unlimited amounts of time and will naturally dismiss any additional responsebilities.

Food, not completely necessary, I can go 3 hrs with a bag of chips, bottle of water and no breakfast.

Raffle is cool but should only cost those who partake (usually most)

Buying corals sure does defeat the purpose of a frag swap.

Premium table? Why not? If someone brings a premium coral then it must be something they've taken care of & looked after for a while, therefore it won't be a last minute decision on the donor's pat. All this means is we can work out clear rules as to what is premium, ie; if it's DBTC material it's premium or whatever, besides since this is members only don't we all roughly know what each other have?

I don't think member only swaps tend to have many issues since we mostly are quite generous with one another, I tell nearly all members if im growing it & you like it I can make sure you get some. Thats' s simply part of being a supporting member and why I don't hand out frags on RC.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I think lunch is more hassle and cost than its worth. I like the idea of having a really cool raffle, and I like the idea of a premium table, at least exploring the idea more. As to buying some corals from our sponsors I think it could be cool, and a nice way to help support them, but not trying to push for it if people don't like the idea. In my mind a number of colonies could be purchased by the club in advance and possibly fragged and put into the swap. Possibility for pests is always an issue at a swap IMO.

Keep your responses coming people!

8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Also, what types of items in your opinions would make a raffle really awesome?

9. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Im gonna go with what Mike said as to the corals from sponsors. I like the idea as it shows the sponsors that we support them in the same way they support us. So in that regard I like the idea of getting colonies from them in advance and fragging for the swap. Lunch really no big deal

swayd likes this.
  10. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Other ideas for raffle:
    Could we get discounted gift certificates from sponsors/LFS for the raffle?
    Perhaps a BAR "fragging kit" (Group a few key items)
    But in general, I think frags are the most fun.

11. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Oh no! We can't have that! :D

Sponsor purchased corals - YES. Add some diversity to the mix. They should not be stuff off the $10 table!

Raffle - perhaps each entry fee gets one ticket, another for excess corals donated, others available for purchase. No one is left out and others can participate at whatever level they desire.

Lunch - don't care either way. The food truck we had at some events was nice. No extra work (I hope) for organizers and no commitment from club members. If you don't like the food truck, BYOF!

Bonus rounds - no opinion. I don't have premium corals that I know of. :confused: If there is a BR, it's important to clearly define the corals and have someone knowledgable enough onsite to screen them.

I think it's most important to have a large turnout. Perhaps polling members as to their reasons for NOT attending the last swap would be enlightening?

I am less interested in the corals but do enjoy meeting and talking with the members. My tank is getting very full so every new coral is a hard decision. What to I take out to put this one in?

The other big draw for me is a raffle! I am not a gambler by any means but the raffle is FUN! My favorite style is the containers for each prize - choose what you most desire to win.

denzil likes this.
  12. sfsuphysics

Darn... and I was just going to suggest we rent a petting zoo for that downtime between rounds.

13. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Side thoughts:

At the last mini-swap, I think the softies went faster than some of the more premium hard corals.
    Not everyone wants, or has a tank stable enough, for fancy pointy sticks.
    :)

And that leads to this thought: We really should encourage more beginners and new people.
    The way to do that is make simple corals more accessible.

So perhaps we should have a "Simple Coral swap" table.
    Encourage members to simply donate random cuttings there.
    (Time to prune that GSP)
    Anyone interested can buy in 1 round for $1.

Ahruk likes this.
  14. bluprntguy

bluprntguy Webmaster

Is lunch important to you? Why don't we schedule it for a time other than lunchtime and just do snacks? Previous swaps have been phenomenally long. Many people are busy and can't spend 11am - 3pm swapping corals, which probably impacts the attendance. The frag swap doesn't need to eat up an entire day.

Do you want bonus rounds for members that contribute really nice frags? I think this would be good and may increase interest and participation.

Are you willing to spend extra money to have the club buy corals from our sponsors to enrich the swap? Most of the colonies and frags that our LFS's sell are yanked from the ocean and freighted into LAX where they are chopped up and sold to the highest bidder. Seems like offering these types of corals as part of the frag swap conflicts with the club's stated mission.

Are you willing to spend more money to have a sweet RAFFLE?
    Raffles aren't really appealing to me as I usually drop a fair amount of money and walk away with squat. Why can't the raffle be an optional additional cost for those that are interested in participating?

15. sfsuphysics

One thing I would like to see encouraged is bigger frags. While there's always the question of "how big should I make them" which will leave people aiming for the bare minimum (more on this at the end), unless it is a "rare" coral or particular "pricy" I would like to see larger corals. Take a stick for instance, 1" frag is good for a minimum, now look at a ruler, see how small 1" is, now imagine this coral isn't encrusted at all on the plug, that to me says you just snipped it recently and put it on... so why not snip a little more coral?

There have been two schools of thought I've had with frag swaps in the past, lots of corals vs. larger corals. Lots of corals are great in that it gives more people the opportunity to have them, and that in turn translates to more corals for everyone (me included). But when you see corals that are very common, or ones that are known to grow very fast, then I'd rather give a larger hunk, granted new people might not know what is very common so they're excused but for people who have been around quite a bit, you should know what things you've lots of on a table. We have corals that have made it to the "not eligible" category because of this, now something like a Pink Birdsnest coral isn't one I want to see go into this category, but I also don't want to see half a table of it unless each frag is from a different member.

Obviously not everyone has a frag rack/grow out tank, so some level of "let them grow out" isn't going to work for all. But the bottom line is the fragger should think to his/her self "would I want this coral if I saw it on a table?"

So the bare minimum argument. I've seen it with my students in class when I have papers they can turn in for assignments, and almost everyone sees minimum as "this is all I have to do" (and they usually do a piss-poor job at that... but that's besides the point). Now granted writing a paper and cutting frags are different things... however I've been to enough frag swaps where "bare minimum" seemed to be closer to the average size. Again, ask yourself if that is something you would be happy to pick up from a table.

denzil likes this.
  16. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Sounds like you want to be part of out fragging demo feb 7! This is an important point and should be considered when making frags.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  17. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

This swap should be 2.5 hrs max, hopefully less. In order to get everyone there and checked in with properly labeled frags we have to leave some time before it actually starts. The swap itself should be an hour max. And we will have some sort of raffle to hold after. Hoping for 2 hours total.

Not all corals at our sponsors are plucked from the ocean days before, if we were to go this route we would certainly favor corals more inline with our mission when possible, but a good point.

As for the raffle, it will be more of a door prose as we still can't sell tickets. If it isn't worth more money to you then you'll get on ticket, but the prizes you might win won't be as many or as cool. No big deal. Personal choices.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  18. sfsuphysics

That is during presidents day weekend/holiday so there could be some issues with that.

19. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Correct. It is the 7th as we caught ourselves on that one. Thanks for correcting me!

20. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

Maybe we need to update the weed coral list to include certain bird nest.