Members only swap in march

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Coral reefer, Dec 31, 2014.

?

How much are you willing to spend to attend the swap?

1. Less than $20

42.9%
  2. $20

28.6%
  3. $30

4.8%
  4. $40

4.8%
  5. $50

14.3%
  6. More than $50

4.8%
  1. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

I really REALLY would like to see a higher end table.

We need to figure a way to increase the amount of desirable corals to the frag swap and decrease the amount of common newbie corals. I understand we need some newbie corals for those who are just starting and those who simply like common corals but we also need to keep the frag swaps continuosly interesting. Some of us are tired of brown birdnests and pale gray zoas. I am very grateful for all of the corals I've received and have gotten some amazing-looking corals from our swaps but lets strive to make them even better :)

I like the idea of bringing uncommon to higher end corals to the table in order to pick from the table. Another local club had a list of corals that would permit access to their higher end section. I also think if someone is unsure if their coral qualifies for that table, they could ask the person responsible for setting this up.

Let me know if yall want help setting this up.

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I appreciate the feedback. Have you been to a members only swap before?

3. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

so are we discussing member only frag swaps or frag swaps in general? I would assume we'd have different rules for each?

4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

The title of the read wasn't read by Fidel?
    We are discussing what people want for the members only swap takin place march 14th 2015.
    Turnout, time commitment, and corals brought usually differ a good amount between the regional swap where anyone can attend, and the members only swap.

5. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

I haveny been to a members only swap before. Will definitely be bringing my best!

6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Hopefully the same will be true if all or at least most members that attend. I did not attend the last regional swap, but I do feel like often the quality isn't the same. More people tere to get stuff, and less about hating and enjoying the club.

7. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Looking to hear more feedback from more folks! Keep them coming as this will only help improve our swaps moving forward! :)

8. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Not sure if there's a better way but from the last regional swap, I felt its a lot of "luck" than a "fair" game... I got G and by the time the first round came to G, all the good ones were gone...

Also I liked the silent auction.

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Lets please keep discussion to members only swaps. Complaints about the last regional swap don't apply. Maybe at some point a similar thread will be posted before the next regional swap in the late summer or fall. Not now. Thanks for the silent auction comment, that's good feedback, but we are planning on a raffle instead for this event.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  10. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

as apparent by Nav's response I had suspected some confusion was to ensue from our wide scope of discussion on a single event so consequently the clarification appeared necessary. Title was a mere 4 words so I was looking for further clarity. Thanks for elaborating, you've concisely addressed the concern in your reply :)

Furthermore perhaps we should try to discuss all member swaps going forward, judging by past experiences it appears that flying by the seat of our pants has cost us greatly so clarity is going to be key to constructive progress ongoing. Not saying that's what we're doing now but a mere suggestion I'd like to make to avoid any confusion.

Mike it is my opinion that you've always done a stellar job, just to avoid mistaking this for catty input on my part hehe it truly comes from a good place.

11. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

If you wanna discuss past this coming members swap then you should plan for being on the BOD in some capacity. It really doesn't take that much if you are passionate about it.
    As for now, let's keep the discussion on the upcoming swap at hand so I can make it happen and give us all as close to what we want as possible. Thanks:)

12. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

I knew that was coming lol, a voice in my head kept saying "you should have joined BOD" hopefully this year I'll have more free time, I'd love to lend a hand if and when possible :)

13. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Mike, my comment was not about the Regional Swap but "Frag Swaps" in general... Assuming the member-only swap also has the same structure & rules as the regional one, correct me if I'm wrong...

14. neuro

neuro Webmaster

I agree with most sentiments here. I am not active enough in BOD or the forums to offer any suggestions that should really be honored. Moreover, I'm not even sure if I can attend this particular swap, Here are my thoughts:

Lunch?
    - Not important to me. Though, I am extremely grateful that @Geneva offered me a sandwich at the last open-swap, which I understand we're not factoring into this conversation. At the very least, if it goes on for more than 3-4 hours, we should advise people to bring food, or have folks organize lunch on their own.

Bonus Rounds for those bringing higher grade
    - To clarify, I would prefer to call it first set of picks instead of categorizing it as an extra pick. If I bring in a few higher grades, I would want to be put into a special group that has a few picks at the beginning of the swap. I know I may not come back with the equal amount of frags, but I know that's not the point.

Buying corals from sponsors for swap

- Members can do this on their own, and would prefer not BOD to spend money on this. But I'll leave that decision to you guys. Isn't it in the best interest of the sponsor to donate anyways? Someone can school me on this.

Raffle
    - Yes, I would opt to put in extra $ for a raffle.

A lot about what was said about the open swap I would reiterate, but I'd rather not get into those details. I haven't had time to really consider what else we could make this fun, so if I get a moment to do so, I'll add more to this conversation.

15. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Its really hard to tell how loaded you are with other club work but maybe a "swap committee" to come up with a format/rules/etc, then have it approved/disapproved/line item veto'd by the BoD? Of course I realize the BoD itself is actually this committee, but it's hard to tell from this side how much work they're doing on other stuff, and most (all) have regular day jobs too so they aren't working on club stuff 24/7 :D

That said, people have ups and downs with reef tanks, there are new members that pop in all the time. Perhaps a reworking of the "banned corals" list, as I think some of those corals might be unfairly banned, looking back at the August swap list (which hasn't changed much) I think perhaps only the brown palythoas should be truly banned, and I'm biased on that fact since I think I finally got rid of the last of mine after years of trying (they can't grow out of water!!!). But perhaps change things up with "restricted corals", Xenia, Anthelia, Kenya, GSP, Brown leathers, all are perfectly fine corals, why are they banned? Because they can grow out of control? Show me a coral that won't do that? and I'll give you 5 that aren't banned that also will do that. But if the idea is to worry about "cheap corals" then mix things up, but size requirements on these "restricted frags" first requirement, no frags... mini colonies only, and they must be mounted on something, then maybe we can put the infamous "pink birdsnest" into this category.

Basically I think the whole point of that list was because too much of it was being brought, a tiny frag to get an admission, and that was the end of that. But how many years has that list been in play? I can tell you that it goes back to the days when meetings were at ASAP (just down the freeway in Hayward too :D). It's kept it out of the frag swap, but now those corals are not as available, hell I got some pulsing pom pom (I think) xenia from Geneva because I wanted it. While yeah the "free bee table" may have had it in the past at swaps, but I feel that table is for newbies mostly and I would feel wrong taking from that.

Either way, sorry to throw in a few other swap related things here, I just get ideas every now and then and sometimes think about aspects other than questions that are asked.

16. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

The past couple years piper and saltwatersig have been our swap organizers. This helped a lot. Neither if them are active on here these days. If anyone wants to jump in and lead the swap hit me up, that would be great!
    Not against looking at the banned list, maybe people could have one of those count towards admission?

17. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Any more feedback? Looks like lunch is a no, high end table is a maybe, extra money for buying colonies from sponsors is a Luke warm maybe, and making the raffle really exciting is also a lukewarm maybe.

18. neuro

neuro Webmaster

I think the one thing that stands out the most as having a solid response is having a raffle.

19. swayd

swayd Guest

Lunch?
    - No thank you.

Bonus Rounds for those bringing higher grade

-No

Buying corals from sponsors for swap
    - Yes, only if it was quarantined ahead of time by the club.

Raffle
    - Yes, gift cards are awesome lol

Maybe a rule that every member participating brings 1 coral for each classification to broaden the availability of coral. Like SPS, LPS and Softies. Just my opinion!

denzil and Coral reefer like this.
  20. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Lunch
    -Nah we're all adults we can bring our own food or eat outside of the swap.

Bonus Rounds
    -Yes. Anything to encourage people to bring higher grade corals. I think there are a lot of people who simply don't go to the swap or have stopped going because they don't expect to get anything worth while.

Buying Corals from sponsors for Swap
    -No thanks. We want to get to the point where people can bring exciting corals on their own. Funds should be set aside to host the event and raffle.

Raffle
    -Hell yes let's do this. But don't go crazy and spend all the funds on this. Maybe a few coral . Or donations from our sponsors.
    -Im okay with paying a small fee to fund the raffle but I think a higher fee might deter people from attending.
    -Not exactly sure how the raffle will be set up.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015