Members only swap in march

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Coral reefer, Dec 31, 2014.

?

How much are you willing to spend to attend the swap?

1. Less than $20

42.9%
  2. $20

28.6%
  3. $30

4.8%
  4. $40

4.8%
  5. $50

14.3%
  6. More than $50

4.8%
  1. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

how about we merge 2 ideas together, buy premium corals from LFS, dip & QT them till frag swap than make them part of raffle?

Note: Simply dumping corals in QT is kind of pointless, pests feasting on corals will just keep feasting and infesting a coral regardless of how long they are in QT so we should be talking about dipping. Just pointing that out since I haven't seen any mention of dipping LFS bought corals.

2. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

Good for you, Fidel.

I say if it's dipable, DIP IT!

As a bonus your house gets that fresh, Pine-sol aroma! :eek:

3. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Its a great idea, not sure if anyone set up /willing to do that tho...

4. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

I have a big bottle of bayer, 6 bottle of iodine and I'm not afraid to use them :D

unfortunately I don't have anywhere to put corals after dipping them :(

if we don't dip..... i won't even..... with a 10 ft pole.... lol

I suppose we can label them differently so whoever receives these corals know they MUST dip them. Let me play devil's advocate for a second and ask, what if we buy these corals, stick them in a tank somewhere then frag swap comes and half the tissue is missing, what do we do?

5. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

The argument against dipping store bought corals kind of goes like this.

You're worried about a place to put dipped corals from a store, but not from individuals? Not to rag on anyone, but check out Kris' thread about how nasties that people have in their tanks. That or you can steer away from corals that typically are related to pests, montipora, acropora, zoanthids :)

aqua-nut likes this.
  6. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

no worries here, tank is full and I can't put more in it. Trying to take corals out, I've been giving stuff away every time someone comes over or giving them twice the amount they came for :D

I love killing pests, I brought home a whole batch of infested SPS and melted half their tissue off experimenting with aggressive dipping but unfortunately this behavior is what lead to me having more corals in my tank than I intended to in the beginning, stuff's starting to grow into each other...

7. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

All it takes is one infected coral to slip threw the cracks. Its a chance we all take at frag swaps. Some may not even know they have a problem until someone else takes their coral home.

8. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Not sure if this Q has been asked before... If you received coral via DBTC > grow > frag, is it eligible for this swap?

9. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member

Hi Nav - I'm not the expert but there are some general "guidelines" posted here: http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/what-is-dbtc.14207/

Folks that are offering their frags can set up their own guidelines. Some may not care if you bring them to frag swaps but others don't want you to and prefer that you give one or two to other members before selling or trading them. It all depends on the donor and it is probably safest to ask them directly if they are ok with whatever you plan to do! (For example, I've given away a lot of hammers and I don't care what folks to with them - I just hope they are doing well and making their way into other tanks.....others may feel very differently.)

Nav likes this.
  10. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

In general it is 2 frags same size or bigger than you got passed on before selling or trading. This includes swaps. If it was not specified at time you received it I would assume that to be the rule. Obviously you can feel free to ask the person that starte the chain, which may or may not be easy to do without the tracker currently.

Nav likes this.
  11. aqua-nut

+1

What do we usually say at swaps?

"Treat every coral like it's covered with the worst pests known."

To be really safe treat every item going into your tank as a potential carrier of every disease and pest. Dip (coral), treat (fish) and observe (inverts) in a QT for weeks before even thinking about adding them to your DT.

12. dswong01

dswong01 Supporting Member

I concur dip every coral you get.

13. Roger

Roger Guest

Don't mean to thread jack, but I'm excited to attend my first frag swap and was wondering if there's a post or thread somewhere that explains these events, what to expect, etc. Thanks!

Enderturtle and jonmos75 like this.
  14. jonmos75

jonmos75 Supporting Member

I agree...have been following this tread....and a little intimidated in to all that is being said.....(Hence not adding my two cents on any of this....lol)

Can one go just to see how things work...New to getting into corals so the only thing I have that would be able to be possible to bring would be GSP (but I think this is band) and Rose Tip Bubble Anemone (doesn't count as a coral)

15. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Anemones def count! Do you have splits? Definitely worth coming even if you don't swap. There will be a post up in the next month about how it all works. We will also be talking a lot about it and planning for it and discussing/demonstrating how to frag some different things at the February 7th meeting.

jonmos75 likes this.
  16. aqua-nut

The first swap I went to, I volunteered to help with setup. Since I didn't have any corals, I didn't swap, just watched.

Generally, before the swap starts you'll draw a letter. This is your pick group. When your group is up you get some time (never enough) to go thru the corals and pick one. It's a good idea to have in mind what you are looking for, zoas, sticks, LPS or squishies as the tables are labeled.

jonmos75 likes this.
  17. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

@Roger
    @jonmos75

Don't worry. It is not at all intimidating and is really fun. This thread is just a means of throwing in some ideas on how to improve the swap.

Usually two to three weeks before the swap there is an event announcement with all the details about location and procedures for the swap. It's very easy. Just an event for coral lovers to get together and promote coral propagation and trading.

If you dont have frags to bring you can still attend just to hang out and watch. Most likely someone will give you one of their frags to participate in the swap anyways :)

jonmos75 likes this.
  18. jonmos75

jonmos75 Supporting Member

Thanks for the input and support
    @Enderturtle
    @John (Aqua-Nut)
    @Mike (Coral Reefer)
    and others

19. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Last call for comments, questions, and suggestions. We need to finalize some details soon. :)

20. Geneva

Geneva Supporting Member