Jestersix

Merry Christmas Lens: Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC HSM Macro

I sure love this lens. My girlfriend surprised me with it on Christmas day. It was either this or the Decepticon base, Trypticon, but my girlfriend couldn't stomach paying over $300 bucks for an old, nostalgic toy. Pretty good decision, tho', I've got to say. It's pretty much got everything I need to be my all-around-lens: a decent zoom range (17-70mm), super wide angle for landscape shots, plus macro for taking aquarium pics. Check out these recent pics (no tripod neither; I'll ask Santa for that next year):

Misbar Clown (full frontal):

Neon yellow slimer from Aldie:

Blue Acro:

Chrismas Favia:

Hawknose:

I'd like to add an ultrawide to my bag one day.. I really like the Neon yellow slimer wide/macro shot. Very cool.

If you get a tripod, you can stop it down and increase the DOF for some ultra wide, macro, sharp shots.

A_Lee said:
What kind of camera body are you using?
Nice picture :)

It's a Nikon D50. Pretty out of date by today's standards, but it gets the job done (that is, with a little photoshopping and high pass filtering). I'm lookin' at the D90 as an upgrade. That'll all depend on what kind of tax return I'll get this year, tho'.

Oh yeah, that's also the hawknose I got from your store several months back. Everyone that comes over enjoys watchin' it.

177ike said:
I'd like to add an ultrawide to my bag one day.. I really like the Neon yellow slimer wide/macro shot. Very cool.

If you get a tripod, you can stop it down and increase the DOF for some ultra wide, macro, sharp shots.

Yeah, I'm definitely lookin' into a tripod but feel I can do without one for now. I'm using a smaller 6" tall one for aquarium shots but have been window shopping for a larger one for use outdoors. Any recommendations for a sturdy, lightweight tripod, good for on-the-go travel?

Otakuthugster said:
177ike said:

Yeah, I'm definitely lookin' into a tripod but feel I can do without one for now. I'm using a smaller 6" tall one for aquarium shots but have been window shopping for a larger one for use outdoors. Any recommendations for a sturdy, lightweight tripod, good for on-the-go travel?

Hmm, sturdy and lightweight in the tripod world usually means $$$. Carbon fiber tripods are both sturdy and lightweight but can carry a pretty hefty price tag. The tripod head can also contribute to the weight significantly and range in prices greatly, depending on build quality.. Personally, I use a Manfrotto with a big ole Manfrotto ball head. This thing is super sturdy, but built like a frickin tank. Of course, you want the tripod to be able to support the weight of the body, lens (prof quality lenses can be HEAVY), and possibly full size flash.

I wouldn't think of doing any sort of backpacking or hiking with this beast of a tripod. However, at this point, I never carry my tripod any sort of distances, and most often times will only need to bring it from my car into some location closebye. Good luck.

Back