Jestersix

Metronida... something...

...zole

...Seems people in old Mexico use it to treat their fish while in quarantine by soaking it in the solution, have people used it here in the States?

I've used it more times than I can count, especially with CA cichlids.

Chris has a huge tub of it at his shop, he uses it on flowerhorns.

Oh man it's nasty as well, nuerotoxin IIRC. We'd use the raw salt to treat marine eye flukes, one of the few that will kill them. It works on Red Bugs as well IIRC, at least I know Dustin tried it for the treatment (did it work? I forget)

My sister had my dog on it for a while....

Friends DR tried to put her on it, but she opted for the sulfur pills instead as the recovery from Metro is a long path.

xcaret said:
... have people used it here in the States?

Everyday...its one of the top drugs of choice for yeast infections and if you ever get ulcers caused by h.pylori its a good chance you'll come across it too....

AFA it being nasty stuff i'll have to agree....especially when your fond of alcohol...

finalphaze987 said:
xcaret said:

Everyday...its one of the top drugs of choice for yeast infections and if you ever get ulcers caused by h.pylori its a good chance you'll come across it too....

AFA it being nasty stuff i'll have to agree....especially when your fond of alcohol...

I meant as in aquaria...

tuberider said:
finalphaze987 said:
xcaret said:

especially when your fond of alcohol...

Link please ;)

http://www.prescriptiondrug-info.com/drug_details.asp?title=Metronidazole&page=1001293&ad=true

lol...

When learning about the drug this is one of the main things they stressed. Upon questioning our teacher how it produces a "disulfiram-like" reaction w/o interfering w/ acetaldehyde dehydrogenase he was stumped himself. Turns out, anything saying it has a "disulfiram-like" effect is technically incorrect.

Upon looking into it myself years ago, i accepted the fact that it does have a reaction with alcohol by experiencing it first hand. (ulcers + meds for ulcers + a night out on the town = no bueno)

Truth is, most anti-biotics can cause nausea, vommiting, flushing, etc. ....nitroimidazoles (the class of drugs flagyl belongs to) is one i would rank up there as the tops. EtOH ingestion doesnt help when on these. I do admit, when im counseling patients after recieving a rX i mention the reaction and to steer clear of any alcohol for 72 hrs after ingesting your last dose, as no pharmacist would want a pissed off sue happy patient waiting to take you to court because i didn't mention it. ;)

I wondered since is by prescription only; Flagyl is what they use over there. My sister came back from vacation and I asked her to bring some but they said by prescription only; I guess it's like the InterC...

Flagyl is the brand name for metronidazole. you'd have better luck checking LFS to see if they carry it for aquatic use than to use a rX made for human consumption.

YOu do not need a script to buy the aquatic version. IN fact you can buy the real deal, uncut, from one of the major suppliers. We got a pound of the stuff when I was in wholesale and it only takes milligrams to treat hundreds of gallons.

finalphaze987 said:
tuberider said:
finalphaze987 said:
xcaret said:

especially when your fond of alcohol...

Link please ;)

http://www.prescriptiondrug-info.com/drug_details.asp?title=Metronidazole&page=1001293&ad=true

lol...

When learning about the drug this is one of the main things they stressed. Upon questioning our teacher how it produces a "disulfiram-like" reaction w/o interfering w/ acetaldehyde dehydrogenase he was stumped himself. Turns out, anything saying it has a "disulfiram-like" effect is technically incorrect.

Upon looking into it myself years ago, i accepted the fact that it does have a reaction with alcohol by experiencing it first hand. (ulcers + meds for ulcers + a night out on the town = no bueno)

Truth is, most anti-biotics can cause nausea, vommiting, flushing, etc. ....nitroimidazoles (the class of drugs flagyl belongs to) is one i would rank up there as the tops. EtOH ingestion doesnt help when on these. I do admit, when im counseling patients after recieving a rX i mention the reaction and to steer clear of any alcohol for 72 hrs after ingesting your last dose, as no pharmacist would want a pissed off sue happy patient waiting to take you to court because i didn't mention it. ;)

All asses covered :D

Back