Jestersix

Micro-Nikkor 105mm f2.8

So I think I might've found one for sale. It's a manual focus lense, so no fancy auto-anything. Anyone have a clue how much it should go for? Thanks.

There is a post on this lense on the MARS RC forum :) The price range is posted there IIRC.

I'd love to try both the VR and Non VR. IF you get that one I need to get you and Rich together so I can try them both on my camera :D

I thought there were, at least in the one I glanced at. But then again that was a few years ago when I didn't really understand cameras to begin with.

I've looked into it a little bit. here is the gist of it.
Actually, there are adapters that will adapt Canon lenses to Nikon, but you lose all automatic focus, exposure, etc. I have one of them (got on eBay). They have a small lens in them that changes the back focus (distance from lens mount to imaging chip) which is larger (I think) on the Nikon. This doesn't help sharpness all that much! So the other responders here are basically correct: don't bother.

I wouldn't do it. You can mount Nikon lenses on Canon cameras, but not the other way around; sensor won't allow it. (i.e. don't even bother with it).

The manual focus f/2.8 isn't a bad lens. Nikon made a few different 105mm f/2.8 lenses. The manual focus f/2.8 is one of the earlier ones. There's also the f/2.8D and the f/2.8D AFS (internal focus), both of which are autofocus lenses. Ratings wise, the older manual focus lens performs better than the f/2.8D; both of which do not perform as well as the f/2.8D AFS

So any thoughts on whether I should try to get a 105mm f/2.8 to replace my f/4.0, or should I get a 35-105mm for about half the price as my everyday lens.

edit: or a 105mm f/2.5

depends. Do you have or have need for an "everyday lens"? I do a bit of everything (not well, but I try lol), so I have a bit of everything: 100mm macro, 18-85mm IS (everyday lens for me), 50mm 1.8, and 70-200L.

I have an 18-55mm, 55-200mm, and 105mm f/4.

The 105mm is usually just for tank shots etc since it's manual everything. The other 2 are new ones and I use the 18-55 the most. I guess I could look into an 18-200 to replace the 2 new lenses though. Any other thoughts/suggestions? Going on a D40

Tony- I'm like you, I try to do a bit of everything, but nothing comes out heh.

Back