Microscope meeting idea

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Thales, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Thales

Thales Past President

Lets look at tiny stuff. I have an LCD microscope that takes pics and video as well as a stereoscope for larger stuff. It might be fun to have a meeting where people bring in sand, water, algae and stuff to take a look at.

2. jestersix

jestersix Sponsor

I like that idea! I would mnake the trip for that meeting.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

I dunno, if I see whats in my tank I'll never want to put my hands in it again :D

4. yardartist

yardartist Guest

Leslie is looking for something like this for her talk.

5. houser

houser Past President

Better not point it at your body then.

I'm down though, who doesn't like microscopes!

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Oh you don't have to tell me Dave, I've saw one show that showed all the mites which live in your eyebrows, and EVERYONE has them too, man I couldn't stop scratching my forehead for a week!

7. houser

houser Past President

ohhhhhh

8. houser

houser Past President

If I keep dipping myself in my hottub does that help? Chemical disinfectant?

9. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

I was told long ago that the consumption of beer helps kill off those bugs. I for one, believe them and practice their advice!

10. GDawson

GDawson Guest

Biology class freshman year at CSUH the teacher said that if everything in the world was to disappear except bacteria that the entire world's contents would still be visable solidly/3 dimensionally outlined in bacteria. Every girl in that class screamed. :bigsmile: However, to give the girls some credit the teacher was kind of a really creepy Rod Serling.

-Gregory

11. bluevoodoo

bluevoodoo Guest

That sounds cool, would be cool to see flat worms or red bugs.

12. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

On that note, anyone know where I could get drivers for a digital blue QX3?

I lost my damn cd and can't find any online. :(

Also, I think this is an AWESOME idea. We should have someone who siphons out water with their mouth look at the water they are siphoning. *coughbookfishcough*

13. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Correct, you wanna bring it Rich?

14. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

I'm in. We have a creek nearby that dumps in to the ocean.
    We also have a septic tank.
    It would be interesting to compare.
    Willing to host.

15. Crabby

Crabby Guest

There are more bacterial cells in our bodies than there are human cells. But, most of them are in our guts. Without those cells we can't properly digest food.

I doubt that Rich's microscope will allow us to see bacteria. However, I'm sure we can see lots of cool stuff. To increase our chances of seeing cool stuff I recommend the following:

1) Filter large quantity of your tank water (coffee filter would probably work) to concentrate plankton. If you filter your outflow for 20 mins and then take what's there and resuspend it in a cup of tank water you'll have a lot more fun under the scope

2) scoop some sand and put it in a fine filter (coffee filter again probably OK) over a dish. add water to cover the sand and wait a couple of hours. Most of the critters that live in the sand (meiofauna) are negatively phototactic and will swim down into the dish.

Not sure if I'll make the meeting. Am massively busy.

16. Thales

Thales Past President

My scope (well Kalins) is 40 to 400 Power - up to 1600 Power with Digital Zoom.

If I can't go to Leslies talk, I can make sure it gets there. D

17. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Anyone wanna pick up the scope from Rich?

If that doesn't work, anyone else got one, or a camera with macro that we can plug into a projector?

18. yardartist

yardartist Guest

Is the pick up Alameda, or Academy of Sciences?

I could stop by Alameda on my way to the meeting.

19. tuberider

tuberider Guest

Alameda I believe, I'll give Rich a call.