Neptune Aquatics

Mighty Magnets

Hey Eileen, if you dare, take a "before" photo. I wish I did. 3 weeks of no cleaning was nasty but cake to clean :)
Also, they ship from Oregon, so you should have it on Monday

Not a problem I think the last time I cleaned it was before Thanksgiving.

The smaller tank has nice build of up of coralline spots - the hair algae is just stupid in that tank so very little film algae at all. The larger tank has diatoms and well just gross stuff built up on it.

Holy Chit man! Just got my algae sock & dozer (and he tossed in a few "new mighty pads" for free I guess. I was feeling a bit cheap... $7.50 for the pads then $7.50 to ship it... but whatever... got it today, that sock is a god damn god send! Old algae pads I hit an area for a while until my arm hurt and usually it got the really tough stuff no problem, got the algae sock, damn thing feels so rough I can't imagine it's acrylic safe... but whatever I'll take their word for it... swipe one swipe too... hard little brown spots are no more!

BTW I don't have a mighty magnet, I use the Magnavore ER4, which is quite a bit cheaper, but still a really strong magnet.

I'll give my two BAR thumbs up for approval on these pads, and if I knew they worked this good I might have bought the mighty magnets just to get the guy more business! (note you don't need their magnets for these things to work well either)

Apparently it's sitting at the Post Office cuz I wasn't home to take delivery of it - which means I can't pick it up till Saturday <sigh> bummer

Yes, I can bring it on Sunday for folks to check out.

sfsuphysics, do you think this will work on the hammerhead Free Float Algae Magnet?

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5774.msg72575#msg72575 date=1231008224]
Holy Chit man! Just got my algae sock & dozer (and he tossed in a few "new mighty pads" for free I guess. I was feeling a bit cheap... $7.50 for the pads then $7.50 to ship it... but whatever... got it today, that sock is a god damn god send! Old algae pads I hit an area for a while until my arm hurt and usually it got the really tough stuff no problem, got the algae sock, damn thing feels so rough I can't imagine it's acrylic safe... but whatever I'll take their word for it... swipe one swipe too... hard little brown spots are no more!

BTW I don't have a mighty magnet, I use the Magnavore ER4, which is quite a bit cheaper, but still a really strong magnet.

I'll give my two BAR thumbs up for approval on these pads, and if I knew they worked this good I might have bought the mighty magnets just to get the guy more business! (note you don't need their magnets for these things to work well either)

[/quote]

They need to nano size those magnets.

I've some some nano magnets (super nimble), how much power is required to hold the pads?

BT: Depends, does the hammer head really hold onto the glass/acrylic? If so, then I don't see why not. I don't think they'd work so much with the magfloats because they're more of a generic sized magnet that really isn't that strong (that and the cheapy aquatraders ones)

The white super scrubbie pad that Mighty Magnets use is the best! I'm not sure if it's the same stuff, but I found that Scotch Brite Dobie Cleaning Pads use the same stuff. I cut out the sponge so that I use only the scrubbing part and it reminds of the same stuff that Mighty Magnets uses. Beats using filter floss to clean the tougher algae growing on the glass!

Follow link on first page for magnet and dozer and/or algae pad.

These will be used with glass tanks so we will see how well they work (I think they will work well). If the algae sock work on the Algae Free Hammerhead may not be a bad thing.

My attraction to the Mighty Magnet is the fact that my canopy covers a portion of the top glass pane so if I can get something to get the "hard to reach" spots then I will be most happy.

Okay as promised

What I ordered:
IMG_1956-1.jpg

Full tank shot of 120g
IMG_1948.jpg

Side view of front pane of 120g
IMG_1953-1.jpg

Slightly up close view - green algae, diatoms, and bristly hair algae
IMG_1955-1.jpg

Now clean
IMG_1960-1.jpg

IMG_1958-1.jpg

Two passes in most cases.

Most of the cleaning was done with the algae sock. As you can see I still missed a few places mainly due to corals or snails being in the way while cleaning.

cool! I've got to get me one. my magfloat has been ok, but I always end up resorting to a razor blade to clean the hard stuff, the blade works great but takes too much time, not to mention needs to always be replaced. good thread!

Back