Reef nutrition

Mighty Magnets

[quote author=beaupierce link=topic=5774.msg73985#msg73985 date=1231783838]
Will this work on glass aquariums???? I see on the website it is good for acrylic.....
[/quote]

I think in general all magnets work for glass, they usauly just state which ones are ALSO good for acrylic

Ordered a custom size 2.5" x 3" magnet this morning with the algae sock and something for the coralline (forgot whatever that sucker was called already).

Sounds like it. I've got a section of acrylic on the right side which is encrusted with coralline to test the sucker.

If hammerheads have a good tight hold on the aquarium you most likely can get away with just buying the algae sock and algae dozer, those two products alone needs to make this guy a ton of money!

I have been using a Magnavore 10 for my 600g (1" thick acrylic) tank for years. It does an ok job but I have two problems with it. One is my tank is viewable from 3 sides so in order to move it from one side to the next I have to get my arm into the tank to do that. The problem is my clown trigger (~11") thinks I am food and I have nearly had to have stitches a few times because of him. My other issue is that the pad plugs up relatively quickly and does not clean as well. A quick scrub in the tank water to get the pad cleaned works great but again I have to reach into the tank. So due to this my tank is never that clean as it is just such a PITA.

So I broke down and bought a Might Magnet F6 the other week and all I can say is wow. It seems to have about the same magnet strength as the Magnavore 10 but the pad size is about 50-75% larger than the Magnavore. With the ability of the MM F6 to float I can now go from pane to pane on my tank without having to reach into the tank. Also MM's pad selection compared to Magnavore is great. I put on the brown pad and was able to get rid of some hard green Algae in like 2-3 passes. The pad does not load up as much as the Magnavore and when it does its easy to clean since it floats I can just pull the outside magnet off and then put it back on. It cleans itself really well.

So far the only downsize I see, which might make me keep my Magnavore is the pad size. The large pad size is really nice but the inside magnet has a little overhang of about 1/4" and then the pad hangs about 1/8" over that. Its great to clean in corners and behind frames but for me to clean near my sand line its difficult as it does not seem to have the same pressure on the pad at the edge that my magnavore does. So I am thinking of using my MM for day to day usage and then the Magnavore to just clean the sand line once a month or so when I do a deep clean.

If I had the choice of only one magnet it would be Mighty Magnet hands down.

Chicken: You have one of the earlier non-floating Magnavores? I could definitely see where that would be a problem. I got one of the ER series (extended reach?) and it floats. Also I tend to remove the pad and not leave it in the tank because I don't want stuff growing on the pads.

Mike, Unfortunately I don't think they make either the Magnavore 8 or 10 that floats. I have a 6ER that does float that I use on a smaller tank of mine but it is no where near powerful enough for 1" thick acrylic. Thanks Chris

You coulda attach a wire or something to it so you don't have to stick your hand inside the tank :) .. I do like the float one though.

I tried attaching a heavy string / small rope to it but since I keep it in my tank all the time my clown trigger keeps eating through it :(

[quote author=chicken link=topic=5774.msg74060#msg74060 date=1231804736]
Xinumaster, what thickness are you using that on? I found the F6 to be pretty damn strong even on my 1" thick tank.
[/quote]

1" thick acrylic all around. And it is strong for a 1" thick, but I like it that way.

I just ordered the F2 Mighty Magnet with an Algae Cutter sock and Alage Dozer to use on my 120. My hammerhead has been useless lately on some of the hard green spots and is about the same on the coraline. With this tank being 30" deep I don't like the idea of having my arm in it all the time in order to keep it clean. Hopefully I have as good of an experience with the mighty magnets as have been posted here.

I just placed an order for some pads, brown pads and algae sock to use with my tunze magnet, I hope I have the same results others are having

Back