Jestersix

Mighty Magnets

I got my order and even the regular pads work 1000 times better then the tunze ones.

I have a couple of stupid questions. Does one put a regular pad on and cover with the algae sock, or is the sock designed to go directly over the magnet?

when using the algae dozer, one uses the side with the acylic triangle pointed toward the glass right?

Right, the triangle edge goes right against the glass.

BTW, I'm using the Algae Dozer pad with an AlgaeFree Piranha and it still works very well. The MM pads are larger than the AF magnets so you have to deal with that a little bit but it's so cool to see this thing scrape coralline without me having to get my hands in there.

I use the Algae Sock both with the pad in it and without depending on the thickness of the acrylic for some reason 3/8" causes the magnet to bounce around, so I'll place the pad inside the sock to make for smoother cleaning.

I need a few more socks, thanks for reminding me!

i use my sock with the pad mostly because the sock alone has resulted in some minor scratching if sand gets in the sock at all. If running the pad with the sock it isn't a problem even if you have sand all in it. If your BB though then that's not an issue for you and sock only probably would work great.

thanks for the info guys.

Now if someone could give me a great trick for cleaning the back wall of a tak that is within 5 inches of the wall and up pretty jigh that would be sweet

Thought I would post these for you guys

2 months of neglect

algaemagnets002.jpg

2 passes with the Mighty Magnets Algae Dozer pad on a Tunze Mag cleaner

algaemagnets003.jpg

Depends on the magnetic pull you have (model/glass thickness) and the type of algae you have. It usually takes 3-4 passes for me..but easy passes. It used to take a lot more work before I got one.

It also depends on how old your sock is, believe it or not they do wear down I change mine out about every other week, granted I'm servicing several tanks a day, but I find a new sock cuts much better.

After reading all the positive feedback about these magnets I went ahead and order one as well. My order arrived today and I couldn't wait trying it out tonight. I had ordered the F1 with the brown pads, algae dozer pad and cutter sock.

To my big disappointment I found out I should have ordered the F2. My glass is 1/2 thick and the F1 is not strong enough. I have done 20-30 passes with the algae dozer pad that has the plastic triangle piece on it and it does not take anything off. I tried on a single, less then 1/4 diameter coralline spot for about 5 minutes and it didn't change at all :(

I tried the brown pads and the sock on the F1 and compared them to a new magnafloat I still had laying around. The magnafloat cleaned as good as the brown pads and sock for the regular algae. I wish I would have ordered the F2...

I've found when in doubt get something larger because you want to do less passes rather than more, the reason for that is not laziness it has to do more with doing one pass and not scratching the tank.

If you want to try my F2 Aldie I'll swing by anytime and you can try it out.

I didn't buy the Mighty Magnet brand one, however I did get a Magnavore brand and I did just that too, while some sizes had a tiny bit of overlap, I erred on the side of making sure it works first, and got the one that I knew absolutely would grab hard. The unfortunate thing is it grabs a bit too hard, but I can always put in an algae pad on the outside or something to lessen the force it creates.

Back