Our mission

Mike and Ashley's 150g reef tank (our first)

During this process, I finally pulled the trigger on my lights. I opted for 3 of the Mitras LX7206. However, I won't have my lighting for another 3-4 weeks as these are seriously back-ordered

If you need a light to get going while you wait for the Mithras, I have a 36" Reefbreeder panel you can borrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need a light to get going while you wait for the Mithras, I have a 36" Reefbreeder panel you can borrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good light. I borrowed it from Vincent for almost a year. You may not need it though since your cycle hasn't started yet.

I just recently moved my WAV pumps both on one side near the top to create a gyre. I was surprised how well it works especially since I have so much rockwork. I used to have them on each side of the tank like you have yours now. I've been getting much more flow in all areas of the tank now that they are moved.

I like your rockscape, hits the 3 points in the rule of thirds and has a nice natural look. Growing coral will fill in some of the open spaces.

I agree with putting both WAV pumps on 1 side getting a gyre going, much more flow than having them on opposite sides, even with alternating programs. I tried multiple placements with Vortech pumps and both on 1 side at the top working together resulted in a lot more flow everywhere (including on the opposite wall and sand bed). I've since moved to maxspect gyre pumps, though I'm setting up for alternating gyres for my new tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! I'll try them both on the right side. You enter the room and see the left side, which is why that it the low rockscape side, to give perspective through the tank from that angle, then from the room it is left side or straight on. You effectively can't get to the right side.

I'll put the left side pump on the right side and slightly bounce it off the back wall behind the tall rockscape. Leaving the right side front one alone.

Does the height on the WAV's look good? Should they be straight or angled slightly upward towards the surface. Anyone with WAV's have a program they wouldn't mind sharing?

100g in so far, making more water as I type this. About to hop on the Apex website and learn how to get that thing up and running. Just going to start off with programming the WAVs, Neptune ATK (auto top off), and two heaters.

Just got back from Neptune and grabbed the last two MarinePure 8x8x4 blocks they had.

OK, several hours of frustration on the Apex unit and I can't get it to run. I followed all the instructions and it is loaded with 5.20_5A17. However, under modules it shows the Energy Bar and FMM are old rev's. I just bought it and loaded everything like it said. Anyways, nowhere can I find on the web (because there is no manual) how to update the SWrev (only HW). In any case, I tried updating the firmware from the module page and that seemed to go through (progress bar went from 0 - 100% and then closed) for both the EB and FMM (I was on an ethernet cable from my laptop to the router to the Apex, also tried wirelessly.). Didn't change anything. Apex ATO won't run so I know something isn't working (it runs in standalone mode, just not when connect to the Apex).

When I plug my network cable into the Apex control unit, all the lights on the control unit go off and the energybar flashes orange.

End of rant. HELP PLEASE!

Old SW rev.jpg
Apex up to date.jpg

Last edited:
OK, several hours of frustration on the F'n Apex unit and I can't get it to run. I followed all the instructions and it is loaded with 5.20_5A17. However, under modules it shows the Energy Bar and FMM are old rev's. WTF, I just bought it and loaded everything like it said. Anyways, nowhere can I find on the web (because there is no manual) how to update the SWrev (only HW). In any case, I tried updating the firmware from the module page and that seemed to go through (progress bar went from 0 - 100% and then closed) for both the EB and FMM (I was on an ethernet cable from my laptop to the router to the Apex, also tried wirelessly.). Didn't change anything. Apex ATO won't run so I know something isn't working (it runs in standalone mode, just not when connect to the Apex).

When I plug my network cable into the Apex control unit, all the lights on the control unit go off and the energybar flashes orange.

End of rant. HELP PLEASE!

View attachment 7473 View attachment 7474

If you click on the modules there is opion to rename and update firmware. Modules should look like this

d2cb5eef8932afae2588ef5713570822.jpg

OK, thanks Vincent for coming to my rescue and getting the system running and everyone who offered advice. We still needed some additional assistance and neptunesupport played with it quite a bit today to get the display and all systems aligned. Hats off to those guys as well. Apparently I am now beta testing their new AOS........................

Located some ammonia (hard to find the straight stuff with no additives) and dosed up to 4 ppm. Pulled the filter socks and shut off the skimmer (I can do that now, yeah) per Dr. Tim's instructions and added 3 bottles of Dr. Tim's One and Only. The countdown to inhabitants begins! This is going to be tougher than I thought staring at an empty tank. I think I need to get something in quarantine soon...............

How narrow do you recommend controling the temperature band on the system and what is a good setpoint? + 0.5 degrees, + 0.2 degrees, + 0.1 degree? I am set at 78.5 + 0.5 right now and thinking that may be too wide of a variation. PH is 8.1. Salinity is 1.024. Haven't measured anything else, was working on the Apex..............

I moved both WAVs to one side of the tank (the far side) - anyone have a good program they recommend with this configuration?

Best regards,
Mike

Thanks.

Now to play with the WAVs while the tank cycles. Is there a good way to see the flow patterns created by different power head placement and programming or just buy some plastic plants and stick them at different places in the tank and watch them?

Thanks.

Now to play with the WAVs while the tank cycles. Is there a good way to see the flow patterns created by different power head placement and programming or just buy some plastic plants and stick them at different places in the tank and watch them?

I think it was BRS that stuck an air stone next to the wave pump and watched the bubbles' movement to get an idea of flow.

You could use flake food to see water motion. Will contribute to the cycling anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. I can try the air stone and move that around. Not sure what type of pellets to drop in and not have them get sucked up into the return.

Just turn off the return pump while you are adjusting the WAVs and the food won't go down the overflow.

Flake is better than pellets for this because pellets sink whereas flakes go with the flow. Also better than air bubbles in my opinion for the same reason (they float).

Just turn off the return pump while you are adjusting the WAVs and the food won't go down the overflow.

Flake is better than pellets for this because pellets sink whereas flakes go with the flow. Also better than air bubbles in my opinion for the same reason (they float).

Turning off return has the potential to alter your flow pattern. I personally would leave it on.

Back