Mike and Ashley's 150g reef tank (our first)

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by WCKDVPR, May 31, 2017.

1. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

You should enable "heartbeat" on your apex fusion account to alert you when if goes offline

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Yeah, how do you do that? I remember when it was released but didn’t see a way to turn it on and forgot about it.

3. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

I think it is a serious problem with Neptune/Apex that they don’t have it on by default, or at least prompt you to set it up in the getting started tutorials, with periodic reminders when you don’t have it set up. The message boards are FILLED with people who buy the Apex partly because of this monitoring feature, figure it is on by default since it is advertised heavily, then have a catastrophic tank failure with no alert.

Anyway, rant aside, check out this walk-through:
    https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?17602-How-to-activate-Heartbeat-in-APEX-Fusion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. WCKDVPR

WCKDVPR Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up!

Battling some serious bleaching on my tricolor over the weekend. Been slightly dialing up the output over the past 2 months (about 5%/week). Must have hit some threshold the tricolor doesn't like. Everything else is happy. Going to turn down the lights a bit.

Question on lighting spectrum. I am running 15.5k, a copy of Andy's with less total intensity. My red planet is very dark red. The other night, I turned a cheap LED flashlight on the tank and the red planet under that lighting was green with red polyps (like it was at Neptune when I bought it, under a Kessil AP 700). Any thoughts on what spectrum might make that look more green and red instead of just dark red? Attached is my spectrum.

I have been having trouble with sand drifting around, so I finally moved my power heads off the back wall and onto the sides. I can turn them up more now and no sand issues (running something close to 45x now with no sand issues). Seems to be a less flow at the bottom of the tank with more in the upper half (no surprise). That sent the anemone on a walkabout. It moved from the right rocks at the sand, to the middle at the sand, to the top of the rocks in the middle, back to the right rocks at the sand and this morning is going up the right rock structure. It is half way to the top right now. Hasn't run over any corals yet, but I did have to rescue the hairy rhodactis as it was directly in it's path and thankfully just sitting on the sand, so I could move it.

2017-11-06 spectrum.jpg

5. RandyC

RandyC Guest

Usually more blues, less white will make corals fluoresce more. If you're looking for a simulated light setting, look towards 18,500K or 20,000K.

6. WCKDVPR

Thanks!

7. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

My usual advice for people on color tweaking:
    Turn up UV and royal blues near max.
    Then slowly increase white until the tanks bluish tint is "not annoying" to your personal preference.
    Then raise green/red/etc until you just barely start to notice.
    Then you can usually lower the white a little bit.

Then multiply all that with a master channel.

kinetic likes this.
  8. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Lol. Oh look. Exactly what Kessil AP700s achieve! The A360/160 as well but without the red/green control though I leave those at 0 anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. WCKDVPR

Too funny, thanks guys! I'll play with that this weekend when I get some time.

Hey Vincent, do you have a way to share (display) your AP 700 spectrum? Any interest in coming over one of these days (for a beer or wine) and just taking a look at my tank and offering any general advice now that it has been running for a touch over 2 months?

Thanks,
    Mike

10. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Note that the AI Prime lights I now have do not have a master level. Annoying.

For my DIY fuge lights, each color is a nice little knob (the kind you physically turn, not an internet thing), and the apex controls the master level.

11. WCKDVPR

The Mitras are pretty nice in this regards. As you can see from the previously posted spectrum, each color LED has its own slider output control, and there is also a master. You can directly view the changes to the lights to play around with it without actually loading the file to the lights. Multiple lights can be slaved or individual settings. I just have them all slaved to copy the master (only requires uploading loading one file). I do have a 5 minute delay (each) across the slaved lights, so the lights ramp on and then ramp off left to right across the tank over a span of 10 minutes.

Now if I just knew what to do with them :)

Crazy anemone is now almost at the top of the highest rock structure (on the right) and has been getting blasted by flow for the past 24 hours. Getting awfully close to some SPS corals......

12. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Not really. They don’t list actually list kelvin numbers.

Here is how my schedule looks like.

[​IMG]

Color control wheel for Kessil

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

My curve looks more like a bell instead of a hump but, like you, I start and end with the darkest blue with the lighter blue used in the middle of the day. I like the look of the whiter light like you have it at the peak but I was getting more algae growth so I put it at the middle blue color at my peak.