Kessil

Mike and Ashley's 150g reef tank (our first)

This Sunday didn't pan out with lining up assistance. I have 3 guys from Neptune coming by tonight (7/20) at 7:30pm with their tank dollies and suction cups (plus me) and we are going to make a run at moving it. Sure could use 2 more bodies if anyone is around for redundancy / make it easier. Thanks!

Last edited:
Might be able to make it as well, especially if Vince is there. I still have the DBTC palys for him.

I'll text you later on today once my calendar firms up.

Down to 2 guys from Neptune but I have 2 friends confirmed plus myself is 5, so no one needs to go out of their way to make it. We should be fine. That said, 6 would be awesome and make for balanced / light lifting, and anyone else is welcome to join for a beer, play commentator, and give me general advice. I plan to finish up the aquascaping this weekend, so I should have water by early next week - which means I should seriously be thinking about getting something in the quarantine tank(s) :)

Thanks again!

Hi All,

Tank move went very smoothly. Thanks everyone for the help.

Vincent, thank you for the assistance and advice, it was very nice meeting you.

The plan is aquascaping and water over the next few days and start the cycle. Do people tend to put anything under the rocks - between them and the glass?

Now - what to get going in the quarantine tanks..................

Tank.jpg

Np. Happy to help and meet a fellow reefer around the area.

When the tank is ready, I'll see what I can frag and you let me know which to bring over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Vincent for the kind offer. When I get things ready for inhabitants, I'll gladly let you know and we can discuss what might be available. That's awesome.

Best regards,
Mike

Too many questions, not enough progress?

We'll as with everything so far I've learned in this hobby and I don't even have water in the tank yet, it takes way longer than I anticipated to complete a task on the tank/equipment side. I finally finished my aquascaping - likely due to my process was cut a piece, tack it on, wait 24 hours, really bond it on, wait 24 hours, do the next piece..........that is what I get for having a bunch of overhangs and levels. Jestersix probably could have done this in 20% of the time it took me, but it was fun and a good learning experience. That's fine, as I am really happy with the finished product, so I didn't mind.

During this process, I finally pulled the trigger on my lights. I opted for 3 of the Mitras LX7206. However, I won't have my lighting for another 3-4 weeks as these are seriously back-ordered - and I ordered from GHL directly.

The first 100g is stirring right now (was at 1.024 last night) and will go in later this morning. Another 55g of RO/DI is on deck and I'll need to make another 50g+ to finish filling the tank and sump. Now the fun starts! Getting the protein skimmer up and running, getting my ATO working from the garage reservoir, figuring out the apex to run the heaters, WAV pumps, etc. Also making up a nice tracking worksheet for water parameters, dosing, etc. Doing more homework on dosing and maintaining parameters.

I haven't figured out where to put the WAV pumps yet, so they are just kind of "hanging in the tank" until I figure out the apex, and then I can start moving them around and look at the flow.

Too funny, my wife wants to know " when does the purple stuff grow in and cover up all that adhesive?"

It's hard to see, but I put a little swim-through on the left side rock structure (my daughter and I really enjoy going through swim-throughs when diving), so we needed one.

Getting closer to getting critters.................

Attachments

• Tank front 2.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Tank front high.jpg
    746.2 KB · Views: 227
  • Tank side view.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 216
Amount of rockabilly is really dependent on personal preference. That being said you will likely run out of places for corals pretty quickly and may want to add a marine pure block in the sump to make sure you have enough bacteria.

Thanks. I prefer the more open structures so I'll start here. I am planning on running either two of the 8" x 8" x 1" blocks or one 8" x 8" x 4" in the refugium. Think I should run two of the 4" blocks just to be on the safe side?

Does Neptune or any of the local shops carry these in stock? I can't really call and ask Neptune and they are definitely the closest to my house.................

Rock is definitely based on personal preference. Kind of hard to tell, but how much spacing do you have on the backside of the formations?

Go with the 4" blocks if you can get them in your sump. You can definitely get them at Neptune since they do stock them.

No need for spreadsheet for tracking water params. You can use Apex Fusion to track them. Nicer than a spreadsheet so you have easy, quick access to graphs to see trends. And you'll have access to it whenever you are.

I have 1" - 3" between the back wall and some of the rocks to enable flow. Here is a shot down the back wall.

I'll head up to Neptune and pick up some of the 4" ones today. I have room in the refugium for 2 of the 4" ones. Thanks for the advice!

Rear spacing.jpg

No need for spreadsheet for tracking water params. You can use Apex Fusion to track them. Nicer than a spreadsheet so you have easy, quick access to graphs to see trends. And you'll have access to it whenever you are.

Sounds like a good plan, once I get that up and running.................fingers crossed.

Back