High Tide Aquatics

Mike's LED project

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Well let me first by saying, I was one who was hesitant to using LEDs, but in my defense the really super bright ones that are out now via Cree didn't exist at the time :D

The reasoning for wanting to do this is I wanted to produce "hot spots" of light on my tank, even though my corals have grown to occupy a rather large area my "dream tank" (doesn't everyone get to this point?? :D) will be much more spaced out, although in my defense (again) my tank was spaced out when I originally set it up, the damn corals just ruined my plan!

Currently my lighting setup is 2 x 250w halides + 6 T5s, there's front to back symmetry either, I have 1 actinic bulb, the halides, then the 5 other T5s, 4 of which are blue plus. The reasoning is my light heavy sps would occupy the front, the lower light corals (LPS) would be in the back... well as you can maybe figure there wasn't a whole lot of additional thought that went into it, very quickly however I realized my LPS would be mostly unseen. So I had the idea of moving stuff around, however since all the SPS grew into that "rockwall" look (even though things were on separate pillars separated by at least a foot) I didn't want a back rockwall either... so I decided to move half of the SPS back... regardless of how I did it the problem is now the stuff in the back doesn't have very powerful lighting, and due to the long linear nature of the T5s its not like I could simply move the halide back as the T5s are in the way. I do have some other halides, but I really didn't want to go that direction... hence the LEDs.

I liked the idea of the PAR38 LEDs, however something about them made it a bit of a hard sell (probably the $120 price tag for 5 LEDs, regardless of how cool it looked). So like always, I decided I'd do it myself, if anything just to see if it can be done!

Ok long winded preamble over.. onto the build!

There are four major components of any LED build, first the LEDs themselves, the lenses which allow you to direct light, the power source, and the thermal management system. I'll address each of these in turn.

LEDs
Well like most reef people, we tend to want colors that "pop" and sometimes growth (although I've gotten to the Jake Adams' mindset of my corals don't need to grow that fast anymore). So that meant Cree LEDs, Royal Blue & Whites. I kept my eye on a website called rapidled.com (which is over in Oakland btw.. so you'll be shopping locally and literally get your stuff in 2-3 days), and noticed they have fairly good prices on everything that you might like. I finally decided to pull the trigger when I saw them have the Cree XP-G white LEDs, which long story short, gives 30% more light output at the same power level as the XR-E white LEDs. The downside ... they're sized differently than the XR-E (I'll explain why this is important in the next section). So I made an order, got a bunch of the XP-G cool whites, a bunch of the XR-E royal blues (no XP-G royal blues yet :() and got them in 2 days. BAM! Did some testing with them, used a transformer in conjunction with a decade box (basically a big ass POT) just to keep the voltage under control, when I hooked 3 whites to my proper power source it fried them... I'm still trying to figure out why, the transformer states +48V but the website says I can use 3-12 LEDs... or it could be the XP-G use less voltage than the XR-E and as a result I fried them with too much voltage (if I only put 4 LEDs together...) anyways that was about a $25 mistake! :(

Lenses
I decided to get 1 of each type of lens. 40° 60° & 80° just to see which spread I liked... however the realization of my blunder hit me... the light from the un-lensed leds would really ruin any chance of seeing which I liked... so I'm going to stick with math to figure out which lens I want :D

Ok the bad part.. these lenses only fit the XR-E LEDs, the XP-Gs are way too small, there are some 3rd party lenses out there that supposedly fit. The other downside is the viewing angle for the XP-Gs (whites) is 120° which is a little broad for a the focus beam that I really want. However for now I'll just wait to see what comes out, I'm in no hurry to throw this over the tank.

Power source
I went with a Meanwell driver, 700mA constant current, no dimming, etc etc. I just wanted a stand alone driver with no worries of dimming. Maybe in the future dimming can be added but for now, I don't dim any of my lights, so why should I care about dimming the LEDs (besides I don't think my AC3 has the capability to dim them).

thermal management
Here's where the picture parts of the build will come into play. I thought about a heatsink from one of those online stores, however I really wanted instant gratification, doubly so since I was in home depot! So I got my weapon of choice. aluminum C-channel, 1/16" thick, 8 feet long (my lights are not going to be that long!) cost about $7 or so.

I forget how wide it is, but it's just wide enough to hold one of the LEDs which is what I wanted.
cchannel.jpg

Not sure if this is going to enough surface area/mass to pull heat away, but more on this later

Drilled some holes for the screws to hold each star onto it.
holesq.jpg

Lesson Learned: Get a drill press! So much easier to do, while the drill didn't ride on the surface when I finally punched through the whole drill went too and I dinked the aluminum quite a bit.

More holes.... what are these for?
moreholes.jpg

Remember I did not want any strip lights (t5s) this allows me to go modular with my LEDs, so I could change them how I see fit. Different color strips, or even if there's not enough thermal management I could put empty ones in between to add to the overall mass/surface area of the sink. I did however plan to actively cool it with a fan if needed, which is why I made this 4 wide. (I could go more, but I wanted to cool this not the surface of my water.
connectz.jpg

Finally put all the SOBs on there. Everything wired, only the 3 on each bar are wired together, each bar has its own wires so that if I decide to change bars I can do so without needing to unsolder wires from the LED.
wired.jpg

Lesson's Learned: Go with machined screws instead of sheet metal screws, while these hold into the aluminum my palm has a blister on it from having to push down and turn to get these in. The need to put nuts on each machine screw might be worth the extra effort, plus the holes don't have to be as exactly sized. The other thing I didn't realize is these are galvenized/zinc screws, they will rust, I might have to change them out for stainless, although my plan is to have an acrylic shield over the whole thing anyways.

BAMMO! Let their be light! Ok in reality you can't tell how bright this is, because the CCD got oversatured a bit. However the fact I walked around with 12 dots in my vision for a few minutes afterwards tells me it's nice and bright :D
lightsd.jpg

There are still a few things that need to be done, after a few minutes the aluminum is warm to the touch (not hot mind you), but who knows what it'll feel like after a few hours. I need to get one of those IR thermometers to do some further testing, both on the aluminum (to see if I do in fact need the fan) but also on the LEDs themselves as I want to make sure there's good thermal contact between them and the aluminum.

The aforementioned acrylic shield also needs to be built.. in fact an entire housing I'm guessing, as I need to figure out a way to hang the fixture too. My plan is to drill holes in the shield just enough to to fit the lenses through, perhaps with a rubber gasket simply so there's no additional loss of light.. but we'll see!

Also need to clean up some of the solder joints, its hard to see these things as it is plus when you're temporarily blinded by the brightness noticing the solder joints is a tad difficult :D

However with that said, I have a rather large summer time "Honey Do" list, so the end result it might be a while before I get this over the tank :D Overall though, this is probably twice as bright as the PAR38 fixtures, at around the same price (when all is said and done), so you're not going to save a ton of money, however if I only needed one or two of those PAR38 bulbs it would have been a no brainer to simply buy them.

Well I'll definitely use the halides in the mean time, the T5s definitely will get phased out eventually, then perhaps the halides at which point it'll occupy a corner of the junk pile :D

Hearing how difficult it is to drill and tap the finned heat sinks, I hope this does a good job so others can build lights more easily. Like the modular plan. The LED will be changing so much each year that having flexibility in the designs is going to be high on the list of keeping any one DIY project from becoming too outdated. Thanks for all the detailed note Mike.

Richard: Yeah that was half the reason I went with the c-channel, is because drilling the aluminum when there's not a fin behind the place I'm drilling is so much easier.

Jon: Thanks, yeah mine were "in the box" for a long time too which is why I finally kicked my self in the butt to get things going. Plus it was almost as soon as I entered my last grade in the computer that I got to work :D

Ok so I held it over the tank last night, and somethings I didn't like, I could actually see the blue/white areas, plus the "shimmer lines" were so damn intense to the point of annoying, and it really wasn't very bright at all. I believe this will be something that can easily be addressed with proper lenses however, some quick calculations showed that simply with the built in lens were spreading the light over an area that was larger than the entire tank, so that would easily explain the lack of brightness and the over-shimmer effect. I need to really get some lenses though :D

Will the blue white banding be more visible with lenses? I am in South Carolina with my Dad, an electrician by trade, and we are working on a system to move the lights so the banding does not sit in one place on the tank. I had already noticed this effect with other DIY projects.

To be honest I'm not sure, however I suspect no. It might seem counter intuitive, but without lenses there's a REALLY bright spot in one area, then everything else the intensity drops off pretty sharp, and I suspect it's these lower areas on intensity that the bright spots from another coral become prevalent, with lenses all that power is focused into a smaller area, so you lose the lower intensity regions but the trade off is the overlap is less visible. But we'll see. I am still searching around for lenses I want to use for the XP-G LEDs

Alright, did some thermal testing today.

Plugging the bugger in, the whole array gets upwards of ~165°F or so. My thermal gun can't get an accurate* reading from the top of the fins, and I say accurate* because it's noticeably painfully hot to the touch (>1second), but only is reading 100°F or so I'm guessing due to the odd shape it can't get an accurate reading (but for some reason the sides can't as well)... however its not quite as hot as a thin walled MH fixture (lumenarc, etc) so there's that. Looking at the Cree spec sheets they have a maximum temp of 150°C which translates to about 300°F so I'm in no danger of them having a thermal failure... although it should be said where I can read the temperature and what the temperature is actually at the die could be vastly different. Either way assuming my gun is accurate* :)D), the relative brightness will be about 93-94% at that temperature so not too bad.

It didn't take long to reach that temperature however some time after it didn't move much at all, so I think that reached the point it could dump the heat off to the environment faster than it could add more, however this was on my desk not in a canopy or something so there is some bit of error in my testing.

Then I put a fan on it, simple computer fan, 80mm, over all it takes maybe 3 watts to run (basically less than one additional LED), aimed straight down ontop of it (think how many CPU coolers work) and within 15-30 seconds the whole thing is down to room temperature. The LEDS themselves are a bit warmer ~95° (although that could simply be the plastic lens that's on them as it has no contact with the aluminum). Overall I think active cooling is the way to go for this, when I put some acrylic around it as a water shield, I could also encapsulate the top as well so the air has a raceway path to go although it's doing pretty damn well at that as it stands.

Next up, find some farking lenses for those XP-G LEDs! However I have a wedding/vacation to do in a couple weeks in San Diego so most likely no further progress for a while.

yardartist said:
The LED will be changing so much each year that having flexibility in the designs is going to be high on the list of keeping any one DIY project from becoming too outdated..

To myself this is the sole reason to hesitate on LED tech; well, there's the $$$ issue too, even with manufactured ones. The T5/MH market is pretty much solid, you know your bulbs ballast and reflectors and you are set for a long time, hey I'm set for 3+ years of MH heaven and that would be running two bulbs at a time and the only MH I have working is not at home so make that 10+ years if I don't set the tank soon (In this hobby soon is synonym of "quite some time")

I would recommend thermal paste between the led and the c channel heatsink, for future note they make thermal pads that are like double stick tape which will save you a lot of time by not having to drill and tap.

definetly go with the active cooling. running them hot will shorten there life.

I built a 12 led fixture for my bc14. been up under a year, definetly recommend taking the plunge.

Tiki: Yeah I did use thermal paste, wasn't really keen on thermal pads simply due to the thickness of them. Still haven't found (really haven't tried that much) finding optics for the XP-G Crees though, so its still sitting on my desk, although I might build a little acrylic box around it and be done with it for the time being just to test it over a frag tank with some "junky" frags to see how well the color pops.

Jonathan: Thanks, while I think DIY really is the direction to go for a "fixture" like this, some prices are really coming down, for instance the reefbrite led strips can be gotten for $240 online, that's 24 blue leds (3 watt ones too not cheapy ones), and if you build that yourself you're looking at nearly $200 just in parts without a heat sink! I was thinking of making a strip light, but I dunno that's a hard price to beat, although I could space them more... its just a hard price to compete with.

yeah I saw those lenses, however I don't believe they mentioned who carries them, a google search lead to nothing, and the only lenses I can find online are sold by a company out of Australia.

Mike, the Cutter place in Austrailia is usually pretty good. Send them an email to check stock and price quote for shipping. Don't do the usual super slow shipping. I think they have a "global priority" or something like that which should be reasonable for the small, light order.

I'd also contact the california distributors listed on the Cree site. Pretty sure I remember that the "group buy" source had the new optics in stock.

Also, also....while not the tiny optics, Nanotuners has some XP_ optics in stock
http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=681

Back