got ethical husbandry?

Millepora bleaching

I had a a nice millepora frag that i been keeping in a box near the surface of the water for a few weeks now. Finally managed to find time to mount it to my rock work half way down the tank (about 150-180PAR)...but it bleached out after 2 days there.

Other sps frags had no issues being moved down around the same spot.

Any thoughts as to what caused this?

Only real change is PAR due to location...

not sure yet... looks like the polyps are retracted but pretty white last night. Will probably take a closer look.

Either way, baffled why the frag would react like that from being place lower into the tank and getting a bit more flow (indirect) as compared to being in a box.

I’ve had circumstances where I increased lighting in a tank and it took ~2 weeks for the seemingly sudden bleaching to occur. Not saying that’s it, but it may be the variety of stresses finally added up to too much.

Par and flow

Could also be something picking on it
Some sps are really sensitive like that

Another theory could be it was dying all along many wild corals survive in our tanks a couple weeks then suddenly die (i have seen this with captive coral too but mostly with wild stuff)

Par and flow

Could also be something picking on it
Some sps are really sensitive like that

Another theory could be it was dying all along many wild corals survive in our tanks a couple weeks then suddenly die (i have seen this with captive coral too but mostly with wild stuff)
What about the par and the flow?

My point is if you’re going to take the time to post you may as well take the time to impart some knowledge. It’s not a right or wrong answer scenario. It’s a knowledge sharing forum.

That does seem unusual.
Insufficient light can certainly lead to problems, but not that fast. It would be no worse than a few cloudy days.
Is a powerhead pointed directly at it? That could be an issue. Test for current with a pinch of sand or food.
Did it bleach from tips or base?
Picture?

There are other possibilities:
Is it right next to another coral now? Could be a war going on.
It is now unprotected. Any fish/inverts that might not be so reef safe?

My point is if you’re going to take the time to post you may as well take the time to impart some knowledge. It’s not a right or wrong answer scenario. It’s a knowledge sharing forum.
I hear that

What i understand is not necessarily what others do

I try to give enough information so that the person understands but doesn’t get overwhelmed and confused

Back