Minutes from 10 November Meeting - Membership Dues increase for 2013

Discussion in 'Club Financials & Minutes' started by mray2660, Nov 30, 2012.

1. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Just some thoughts:

For me, what is most exciting about the raffle is the corals, not the big ticket items like an MP60.
    I think that is true for quite a few people.
    Plus, it is a good point on how many extra people go to the frag swap.

So an idea is to really encourage members to donate small frags to the normal raffles, and then play up
    how the raffle is a "Mini frag swap to support the club".
    It might both encourage more people to show, and get more to buy in to the raffle.
    Plus the club would not have to kick in for the big ticket items.

Of course, the problem is getting people to contribute corals.
    Ideas for that:
    You get 2 free raffle tickets for each frag.
    Perhaps you get some glue or other small item for 5 frags.
    Public appreciation.

Plus a bit of an off the wall idea: Can we integrate it with DTBC?
    Perhaps encourage at least posting of results for those that win a DBTC coral.
    Or a separate raffle bin for DBTC.

2. bondolo

bondolo Supporting Member

Wow this thread is starting to get a lot of ideas.

• I think the increase is fine. The speakers in the last year have been awesome. I've totally got my money's worth even with missing the frag swap. I did like the suggestion of a nominal fee for at least one of the two frag swaps even if it just pays for the hot dogs. The swaps should be break even events for the club.
    • I agree that we should be reaching out for new members. Not necessarily reefing newbies but those who may just be unaware we exist or what we offer. I've suggested using meetup.com as one possible source. meetup.com is very popular in the tech industry for user groups and, apparently, singles activities groups. I would be willing to make the meetup.com postings.
    • I'm willing to handle twitter postings for BAR. I already tweet for work and am on the site a couple times a day. I could make it a mission to have at least two tweets a month plus speaker announcements and meeting reminders. I think 30-40 tweets a year would be just fine. I could also do google+ but can't promise to do anything other than post the same content as the tweets and/or meetup.com notices.
      I am with Mark that my favourite part of raffles is the corals. Having a grand prize like a Radeon or MP40 is a good draw as well. I was surprised last meeting with the separate drawing bins last week. I think we may want fewer bins with a wider selection of prizes per bin. Perhaps only the grand prize warrants it's own ticket bin.
      DBTC donations as part of the raffle--sign me up. I would find something donate every meeting. Lots of people do little contests for their DBTC and this is just a continuation of that. I like that it encourages people to come to meetings. Perhaps the DBTC raffle is the free door prize ticket?

3. Borchers

Borchers Guest

It's good to see people expressing there opinions here. That is what a forum is trully about. Me personally I will make maybe 1 to 2 meetings a year and the swap. I'm my option money well spent.

Example
    Tal Sweet.....you buy tickets to a event $100.00 let's just say.

BAR membership. $30.00.....Tal Sweet........FREE TO YOU!

Tony Vargas......$100.00 to $200.00 not including possible travel and hotel

BAR membership. $30.00....Tony Vargas.......wow free again.

Swaps. $500.00 in frags or more depending on what you get........FREE

The list could go on and on guys. I'm game!

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

$500 in frags at a swap? While they can be nice, I don't think they're THAT nice :D

5. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

Have you seen some of the prices listed out there?! We are very lucky to have the selection of coral species that we do. It is definitely not the same elsewhere.

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Prices listed out there don't reflect the cost of said items here. Yeah if you want to compare to various places that are "coral poor" where your 2" orange digitata frag is $50, or super inverted 1080 maui waui tropical orgasm bomb zoas are $50 a polyp, then sure. But comparing to what things cost in local stores not so much. I'm not saying you can't get $100+ worth of stuff, and occasionally there are gems out there, but $500 worth? Nah.

7. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Out here in the bone dry reefing anti-Mecca known as NM, that frag will set you back $500 :p

8. bondolo

bondolo Supporting Member

Visiting Calgary, Alberta last summer I definitely felt sorry for reefers there. The selection of corals was a mere shadow of what we can get here. Part of the problem there is a customs agency that's unwilling to trust importer species declarations or do any amount of the research needed to approve importation.

9. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Yeah, that's pretty sad.

10. goldielocke76

goldielocke76 Supporting Member

Makes me feel better on reading some of the posts since mine-- I was really worried I was going to really p*ss someone off. But I agree with Mike (Bondolo) that frag swaps should be a break even event for the club. To reinterate what Borches said it's "money well spent."

Regardless of what Denzil mentioned, respectfully so, the main goal of my post was to point out something that I saw that did not sit comfortably with me. I understand that they are in every hobby, but even if we could get the people out there who only join the club for the frag swap to contribute just a little bit, ie a door fee, I think it goes farther in the long run in helping the club stand by our mission statement and by helping the club itself. "Money well spent!"

I also loved the idea of raffle tickets per frag, or something to that effect. Maybe we can avoid the aptasia frag next time ;)

11. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

$30 isn't a bad deal for whats offered. I came from another club with similar dues. Getting speakers can add up fast as well as other cost. We do need to upgrade the website so it runs faster. One thing I havent seen mentioned is the friendship this club offers. Ive gotton alot of frags from members who were more than generous. I think we should just promote the club as best we can. It wont be for everyone and thats ok too. Just my ramblings. And Denzil - I dig that Acan frag

12. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Hah, wish I had the money to pick it up when we were down at RAP. I'm sure I can find one later down the road. :)

13. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

How bad was the cost?

14. denzil

denzil Webmaster

I don't recall... all I know is that I didn't have enough money at the time. :(