Cali Kid Corals

Monti ID?

I got a monti in the swap last year and when I acclimated it I lost the lid with the ID. Since it came from BAR, I'm thinking somebody should be able to ID it.

33u8kf7.jpg

Description: Grows at a medium-slow pace. Maybe as fast as the average acro. Encrusts on the rock a while after gluing. Plays nice with the corals 1" away from it. Not too breakable. When you want to frag it, it will make a clean snap. Pretty hardy and very forgiving. Grows quickest when you snap a piece off. New growth on branches is white. New growth on encrusting part is brown.

My thoughts: Too skinny and slow-growing to be a Spongodes. Polyps are much too big and far apart to be a digi, but too small to be a Spongodes. It's kinda like a Spongodes Digi hybrid.

More info: I've had it for almost six months and what you see in the picture is how much it has encrusted. About 1/2" of the farthest branch on the right was accidentally broken off and it has repaired. The part that was broken off was fragged and is going into the swap, which is why I need an ID.

Thanks in advance :)

Anyone? I've already checked through every monti species that comes up on Google images and none match. I'd like to put a species name on the swap lable rather than just montipora sp.

I have no idea, but it looks very nice! if you can't ID it - just call it the way you like it- just like vendors :) "uber tuber green/purple monti digi" :)

maksimsf said:
I have no idea, but it looks very nice! if you can't ID it - just call it the way you like it- just like vendors :) "uber tuber green/purple monti digi" :)

Thanks. If I can't get an ID, that's what I'll probably do. :)

Back