Kessil

Monti polyps not opening

I cannot figure out what is going on.

The sunset stopped opening about two weeks ago. I have been up in the night looking for nudis, none found. There are no bite marks. It is dark brown from lack of light and has not been growing as fast the last couple months.

I am now seeing the same unopened polyps on the superman, and starting to see the red digi draw in. The undata seems normal. Each variety is acting the same even if frags and colonies are in the main tank and or fuge. They all stay closed if any of each variety closes.

Due to coral growth and adding two three inch clams recently the alk, Ca, and Mg had dropped to 5.1dkh, 320, and 1100 about three weeks ago. They are back up to 8dkh, 350, and 1200 and still getting bumped back up.

Another coral issue is one large tubastrea colony has not opened in about a week and the tissue looks shreaded around the tops of the coralites. Several days ago one of the dendros is staying closed and has the same shreaded look.

Help?

Polyps tend to stay close when my dhk is low. I raise the alkalinity by slowly dosing soda ash. It takes a day or two before the the polyps open. I like to keep dhk around 10, mainly because it is in the middle.

Also, how's your pH? My experience is if the pH stays around the low end, some of corals don't like it.

I've found that when my corals were unhappy (low Mag and separately low ALK) it took a while for the polyps and color to come back. My jedi mind trick will occasionally retract is polyps for a day but it seems to be an independent event.

It is right at 1.026 with refractometer as checked against the standard this morning. With the hot weather and more evaporation the last few days with a fan aimed at the tank I have been checking it more often. I would check my standard for creep up, but I did that with Jim just a couple months ago at the most. It is high for me as I usually run at 1.025. Will push it down some over the next week.

Thanks everyone for input. Its not fun waiting to frag a few of these until they are growing again.

Back