High Tide Aquatics

Mounting a Large Piece of Coral

So I traded some Euphyllias for @cdhappy's amazing, huge piece of Hollywood Stunner. I'm trying to figure out how to mount it. Anyone have ideas? It needs to go down low, at least for awhile, so placing it atop a pillar is out. I can't just lay it on the sand, because my wrasses will bury it. Currently, it's sitting on an anemone stand that an anemone wants nothing to do with. :p

Maybe the answer is to trade it for some easier-to-mount euphyllia? ;)
Gee, I wonder who has some? :rolleyes: In all seriousness, I accidentally fragged about a 4" x 3" piece off of one end, if you are looking. I'd just give it to you as a DBTC.
I would wedge the back edge between two layers of rocks, maybe with putty, until it encrusts itself in place.
Now there's an idea, I'll have to mull over just where to do that ...

...thinking of an ABS coupler, 3" or 4" size. Any HD, Lowe's, ACE or the soon to be defunct OSH should have in stock.
I am pretty sad about that, I've been going to OSH ever since I was an undergrad at UCSC. It's one of the few places where the staff know enough to help you (and actually care to) and their selection of hardware, real hardware like stainless steel strap, nuts, washers and bolts, is superior to most other options.
I have many bins of PVC fittings from 1/2" to 2", I may glue up a support for the coral while I let it grow in.

Yeah, sad to know Lowe’s is shutting down all OSH stores. Very few places left where the staff has knowledge of hardware. Recently I went to DBS on Mission/Duboce; most of the staff there are very helpful but this one time the plumbing department guys had no clue what a couple guys were looking for; sort of PVC fitting but not 1/2” nor white in color.... for a fish tank... I talked to the guys and looked at what they were looking for; a couple elbows for CPVC pipe. Told them OSH is the place for those fittings and pipe. I asked them to meet me at my secret hideout and dough out an old pipe that was stored in the PVC container, it was exactly what they were referring to and they drove off to OSH in SSF. They offered me free glass to put together a fish tank any time; seems they are into planted tanks and were building a few; glass 1/2” all cut and seamed but I have too many projects at hand.

That’s for the generous offer but I have my own problem :) when is the next frag swap - if not soon to may need to DBTC some of this...
6de7952df96cd23fad13d175bbc31c3c.jpg

Yeah, sad to know Lowe’s is shutting down all OSH stores.
I’m sad too - our local Mountain View OSH is our go-to. When I was trying to figure out how to carve up Pukani rock a nice guy at OSH took the time to explain which Dremel bits could work well.

I think I have only 8 corals in the big tank at the moment, but one is a bigger stunner than anyone, I bet. Can't believe it. It is just regaining its color so I am not posting a photo. If anyone is looking for some, save a space.

@OnTheReef when I got my stunner I was able to kind of cantilever one leaf of it under rock and it held itself there, then encrusted like previously said. Then it proceeded to grow in twirls all around

Had the same issue, but with a smaller piece, that had no mounting point. My original tabling A. hyacinthus was all tissue and was about 3" in diameter. No rock or anything to mount it to; just straight tissue. Stuck it on 2" piece of PVC for about a week before finally mounting it. Used IC gel directly onto the tissue and glued that right onto the Tonga rock. The glue held it on until it eventually encrusted onto the Tonga rock.

Get a medium size piece of Real Reef rock shelf and place it on the sand then mount the Stunner. I did a huge piece of Sunset Monti Cap that way and it worked great.

Bigger tank will do the trick.

I agree though, I think you can probably jam or putty a thin long rock (tonga branch, or even a pvc) to the existing rockwork so it has a place to sit.

upload_2018-9-6_9-42-32.png

Overexposed picture of the base of the A. hyacinthus table as of today. All tissue glued down to the Tonga where it has encrusted over and created its own ledge.

I want to mention to put it far from anemones. I also have a very big Hollywood Stunner in my tank that I glued to a rock and since it has been growing so much, it got close to an anemone and was sting so bad that half of the chalice died and turned white in the matter of a couple of days.
I couldn't move the anemone because the foot is inside a hole in the rock

Back