Our mission

Mounting LPS's for quick growth

So I was sharing some tips I've learned (some from others and some I just figured out) at the meeting so I thought I'd post some pics since a lot of LPS frags went out. The goal is to give the frag a easy route for new tissue growth.

I start out with a slice of rock to make it easy
startingpiece.jpg

I usually use two little fishes epoxy putty to smooth out any bumps on the base rock or the frag and gently mount the piece.
complete.jpg

You can see the ranmp I tried to build with a closer pic
completecloseup.jpg

Here is a very similar example after it grew in
orangeacan.jpg

And here is a before and after of the cyphastrea frag from Ian
Before
cyphastrea1.jpg

After new tissue growth
cyphastrea2.jpg

I thought I'd grab a pic of the bottom of the acan frag. I'm not sure if I should be concerned with some exposed tissue on the underside of the frag or not but it doesn't appear to be upset at all since it's sent out feeders shortly after I put it back in the tank but thought I'd share.
backside.jpg

[quote author=mark_s link=topic=4826.msg58645#msg58645 date=1223848713]
where can I find Aquamend? I've looked for it at my local HD, but didn't have any luck. What section is it in?
[/quote]

It was next to the caulking and glue at my HD

Nice job! Ive been experimenting lately to. I use an insane amount of aquamed since its cheaper. If HD in the city is out of it, its because of me haha.

Ive actually sculpted shapes like big mushrooms with the plan to have a nice favia grow over it..Ill get some pics when I get time!

It looks like this. Sold in a tube usually hanging where the other epoxies are.
http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/aquamend.htm

[quote author=iani link=topic=4826.msg58664#msg58664 date=1223853736]
Cool Levi, I see the blood red eyes is growing well for you.[/quote]

Yep, it's hard to tell but there are even new polyps on the epoxy and plug.

I forgot to mention that this is the best way to get growth from funky shaped pieces. This acan was flat so I could have just glues it but the frag from Jeremy is a crazy shape so it'll need a lot of epoxy :) Once it's settled in a little longer I'll post the process again if I can.

And thanks for the compliments!

Btw - just a little tip for working with Aquamend epoxy -

Before you start to knead the putty you can nuke it in the microwave for about five to ten seconds just enough to warm and soften it up. It becomes much easier to knead and mold this way. - lesson learned from Gresham so give props to him

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=4826.msg58674#msg58674 date=1223858817]
Btw - just a little tip for working with Aquamend epoxy -

Before you start to knead the putty you can nuke it in the microwave for about five to ten seconds just enough to warm and soften it up. It becomes much easier to knead and mold this way. - lesson learned from Gresham so give props to him
[/quote]
I do that too, it really works wonders. Another tip is to get your hands wet before kneading, it keeps your fingers from getting all gooed up.

or you can use disposable surgical gloves - which is what I use cuz I have sensitive skin so I wind up breaking into a bad rash afterwards.

Oh and another BTW. Some skimmers are extremely sensative to two part epoxies and will go beserk when you put it in the tank. I know this is the case with my old Euro Reef skimmer. Might be best to turn it off for a couple of hours.

[quote author=LeviT link=topic=4826.msg58669#msg58669 date=1223855390]
[quote author=iani link=topic=4826.msg58664#msg58664 date=1223853736]
Cool Levi, I see the blood red eyes is growing well for you.[/quote]

Yep, it's hard to tell but there are even new polyps on the epoxy and plug.

I forgot to mention that this is the best way to get growth from funky shaped pieces. This acan was flat so I could have just glues it but the frag from Jeremy is a crazy shape so it'll need a lot of epoxy :) Once it's settled in a little longer I'll post the process again if I can.

And thanks for the compliments!
[/quote]

Why is this the best way to get growth from an irregular shaped piece? I don't understand. Is it that the tissue can grow sideways onto the epoxy without building up a base? Or you mean the polyps don't have to grow downwards first and can just go sideways out to the epoxy? Me no savvy.

V

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=4826.msg62244#msg62244 date=1225747184]
Is it that the tissue can grow sideways onto the epoxy without building up a base?

Or you mean the polyps don't have to grow downwards first and can just go sideways out to the epoxy?
V
[/quote]

Yes to both questions. A flat surface is easier for it to spread on and gives you an easier coral to frag. I've tried to frag triangles or corners and it was much harder than a flat piece. hth

I have a cube shaped piece of (something lps) I think the LPS has almost grown around the entire cube! Time to chop it in half I suppose!

Anyway, I was going to mention that I've found the epoxy putty is not very adhesive. It's like sticky playdoh, but unless you embed things in it and "key" into holes in rocks, it doesn't really "stick" to stuff. Not underwater anyway!

V

Back