Mounting LPS's for quick growth

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4826.msg66698#msg66698 date=1228187659]
use IC Gel between the substrate and the epoxy and all is well :-D
[/quote]

Heh, I usually do the opposite.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4826.msg66698#msg66698 date=1228187659]
use IC Gel between the substrate and the epoxy and all is well :-D
[/quote]

Me too I let the epoxy mold around the rock or whatever I am adhering to it and then add ic gel. Sticks strong as a rock.

July 6th
837_06_07_08_10_23_45.jpg

Nov 18th
837_18_11_08_8_06_43.JPG

(to give a better idea of how much epoxy was needed on this odd wedge shaped piece)
837_04_08_08_7_58_59.jpg

Levi/Tony - Thanks for posting! Really appreciate the tips for mounting LPS. Will be hunting for epoxy this weekend to do some extensive re-mounting. Thanks again for car-pooling us during the LFS tour! Looked for you at In-n-Out but didn't see you there. Doug

*** Reposting original post with picture links fixed ***

So I was sharing some tips I've learned (some from others and some I just figured out) at the meeting so I thought I'd post some pics since a lot of LPS frags went out. The goal is to give the frag a easy route for new tissue growth.

I start out with a slice of rock to make it easy

I usually use two little fishes epoxy putty to smooth out any bumps on the base rock or the frag and gently mount the piece.

You can see the ranmp I tried to build with a closer pic

Here is a very similar example after it grew in

And here is a before and after of the cyphastrea frag from Ian
Before

After new tissue growth

I thought I'd grab a pic of the bottom of the acan frag. I'm not sure if I should be concerned with some exposed tissue on the underside of the frag or not but it doesn't appear to be upset at all since it's sent out feeders shortly after I put it back in the tank but thought I'd share.

Levi
Pittsburg, CA

Back