Neptune Aquatics

Mounting this Monti

I'm looking for some advice on how to mount this monti I got from the swap. It was described on the label as plating/scrolling.

Which part should I attach? Looking at it there is no obvious "base" which to attach it to the rock.

Should I tilt it or leave it flat?

Should I mount it to the edge of a rock or on top to give it room to scroll?

I would put it somewhere lower in the tank and glue it sideways. that is run a line of superglue along whereever you want it to go and then along the edge of the frag so that it remails flat.

Keep in mind that as it is a scrolling type coral that if you have anything underneath it, it very well will shade it from light completely.

I've also had good luck with epoxy. I find a horizontal crevice in the rock, fill it in with some epoxy and then jam the frag into the epoxy.

The frag will typically encrust over the epoxy after a while and you would never know that was how it got there.

Like Bryan said, keep in flat or slightly angled to catch the light. Either way will work. As this grows out, it will shade out everything underneath it so consider putting it lower in the tank.

i haven't been having so much luck mounting monti cap. I wipe the back of the cap dry and IC-gel it to epoxy. Sadly, it kept coming off (most of the time between the epoxy and the monti). I applied pressure to the monti when glueing it to the rock, and broke the piece. And 2 days or a week later later a snail knock it off. And so i repeat this process again. My monti is now half in size of what i started with. :-/

I'll try Brian's tips on applying glue on the edge if it comes off again.

You may have to keep you hand in the tank for a minute or two while you hold it in place but I superglue good sized ledges of rubble rock to my existing rockwork all the time and it works great. If it can work for it it can work for a cap.

seminolecpa said:
You may have to keep you hand in the tank for a minute or two while you hold it in place but I superglue good sized ledges of rubble rock to my existing rockwork all the time and it works great. If it can work for it it can work for a cap.

Keep in mind Bryan has like 10 cases of IC gel. LOL :D

Back