Kessil

Mouse's IM Nuvo Fusion 40g

No, I don't have the tank yet (get them out there Innovative Marine!), but I thought I'd put my plan up.

Here's what I'm thinking (PLEASE don't be shy telling me what you think!):
  • Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 40 (I swear their names get longer and longer just to screw with people)
  • Black matching stand
  • Kessil A360N Dimable LED light (my thought is to get the "N" so I don't get light spill, and less algae on the glass)
  • Tunze Nano Doc Protein Skimmer 9002 (I've only had Reef Octopus and AquaC skimmers, so I hope I like it)
  • Vortec MP-10 (but now I'm considering a Jebao instead, as people here seem to love them)
  • 100w Eheim Jagar Heater
  • Neptune System Apex Controller (I've never had a controller before. I'm excited!)
  • 45lbs of Drs Foster & Smith Select Fiji Premium Live Rock (I've bought this before. It doesn't disappoint, and the price can't be beat)
  • Caribsea Fiji Pink (I've used this in all my tanks in the past)
  • R/O unit from Bulk Reef Supply. Already have it, just needs new media.
  • Instant Ocean Salt
  • API Test Kit
  • I'll probably dose with ESV B-Ionic 2-part since I have 1/2 a gallon of each left over from my 180g
  • Do I need a chiller? I've never lived somewhere without air conditioning before.
Tentative Stock list (I like to have color covered ;)):
  • 1 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (red)
  • 1 x McCosker's Fairy Wrasse (red)
  • 2 x Ocellaris Clowns (orange)
  • 1 x Royal Gramma Basslet (yellow & purple)
  • 1 x Maxima or maybe a Crocea Clam (blue)
  • 1 x Bubble Anemone (green)
  • 2 x Bangaii Cardinals (black & white)

I'd like to do a mixed reef, but will probably stick with lps and softies. I'm pregnant with our second little one, and our son isn't even 2 yet, so I don't/won't have a lot of time. SPS are time consuming. :(

So, how's it sound?

Last edited:
Exciting! I would save the money and get the wp-10 over the mp10.

I have had that tunze skimmer and it kicked arse in the 22g I was running it in.

I personally would do the wide with the kessil. Just for the full coverage. I wouldn't worry about the glass algae, that will come with or without the narrow. Light spill will be an issue and I am not sure the narrow will actually solve that. I don't have personal experience with a narrow, maybe @Kmooresf will know, he has like 7 of them LOL.

Tagging along for sure
8rDzZ7y.gif

Sounds like a sweet set up.

As to the Kessil.......I'm kinda with you. The tank doesn't have a huge footprint, and I think a narrow would cover nicely. My concern is that you aren't keeping SPS...........so the Narrow is gonna be very strong for LPS and softies.....however, obviously you can turn down the intensity. I think a narrow would cover pretty good. You can always raise it to get better coverage as well.

You would also be fine with a new A360We as well. you can lower it a bit to reduce light spill, and decrease the intensity. Both would work fine, so I think it's just your preference. Looking forward to seeing the new tank. ;)

Tr1gger - Good to know you like the skimmer.

Sfsuphysics - I'd rather a red, actually, I just had red taken care of by the wrasse and shrimp. I'll have to get green in somewhere else. Any suggestions? No clown goby. In my experience they just sit there.

Kmooresf - I might see if I can see both of the Kessils in person at Neptune to decide what I like. That's where I plan on getting my tank anyway.

Coral Reefer - A fan is a good idea. I live in Santa Clara.

I definitely don't think you'll need a chiller, especially with an LED fixture. I have a 3o gallon seahorse tank that I intentionally keep cooler, and it sits at 72 F all the time with an LED fixture, that same Tunze 9002 skimmer, a return pump, a reactor pump, and an MP10 all running on it. Granted I'm in Berkeley and it stays a bit cooler here, but I think you'll be just fine with a fan.

I currently have 2 MP10's and a WP10 and I can say that I really like both pumps for different reasons. If you go the Jebao route, I'd say go with the brand new WP10's because they are TINY! They are much smaller than the WP25's and they can put out a little over 1000 gph of flow. Two of those in a 40 gallon would be great. You might be able to get away with just one depending on your return pump and what corals you plan to keep.

Here's a size comparison between an MP10 wetside and the new WP10.
3BB3088C-9891-4D25-9B26-9A7D987923D0_zps2c3kwjra.jpg

FFCFFEB3-12F1-4475-AE11-EA2A1F9B7BDF_zpsudgexri0.jpg

Tr1gger - Good to know you like the skimmer.

Sfsuphysics - I'd rather a red, actually, I just had red taken care of by the wrasse and shrimp. I'll have to get green in somewhere else. Any suggestions? No clown goby. In my experience they just sit there.

Kmooresf - I might see if I can see both of the Kessils in person at Neptune to decide what I like. That's where I plan on getting my tank anyway.

Coral Reefer - A fan is a good idea. I live in Santa Clara.

A hammer or frogspawn coral will give you all the green you need. ;)

Oh, Tr1gger, forgot to mention, thanks for the advice on the Jebao pump as well.
FeliciaLynn - Thanks! That size compassison is really helpful, and I'm thrilled I won't need a chiller.
Kmooresf - very true.

I'm so excited to get started! Come on Innovative Marine, get the tanks out there!

Things are beginning to happen!

• I've already got my sand, salt, and test kits (Drs Foster and Smith)
  • I got a great deal on a Kessil WE on Ebay the other day, should be here today or tomorrow.
  • Soon I'll be picking up rock and a few fish and hermit crabs from someone who is getting out of the hobby.
  • I purchased my tank, stand, TBE light fixture, and some DI resin from Neptune today, but won't be picking up until this weekend. I've gotta unpack and clear this apartment of some more boxes.
Turns out the Tunze Nano Doc skimmer won't fit :(, so I have to figure out a new option. I'm thinking about a Hydor Koralia Nano Skimmer, but the only one that will fit is for up to 35g. Do you think I'll be okay?

Back