Our mission

Moving in from Texas

Hayward/Castro valley to sf Bart trip isn't so bad IF you can get work done on the train like emails etc...
If it's an hour each way on top, that kinda hurts.

As someone who relocated from Texas years ago I still kind of laugh at this idea of relatively affordable. I guess it's relative from prices in the city or on the peninsula. :) It's certainly not relative to Texas. An East Bay home or a San Jose home is still going to be 750K+ and usually less than 1100 sq. ft and on a small lot. In "relative terms" my daughter just bought a 2400 sq ft house in Houston on a half acre (with a basketball court) completely updated for $210K. Note: she considers it a very small house relatively speaking.)

That's why I said relatively affordable, not affordable...

Updates!
1) I ended up working out how to ship a tank out. Assuming it makes it in one piece I'll be trying to figure out how to get a really heavy tank out of the back of a truck (anyone live near Dogpatch?). So, no need to borrow a tank.

2) I'm currently in Dallas, but flying back to SFO Tuesday morning. If anyone is interested in holding some frags for a while I'll bring a couple dozen out. Obviously I'll bring some spares for you to keep. Full disclosure, there have been monti eating nudibranchs in the display portion of this system in the past (long story with a former friend's tank emergency). I've never seen them in the frag system (plumbed in), and won't be moving any montipora, but I want that out there as I'd hate to end up spreading them. Send me a PM if interested, I'm thinking mostly acros this trip, but might throw in some assorted zoas/ricordea as well.

I totally understand, I don't want my first action to be spreading a pest around the area. I'll let you know when I have a delivery day for the crate, although it should be some time later this week.

I can host some for you in my frag tank if you want to come all the way out to berkeley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I still have space (several things like the lights didn't make the shipping crate, so are now carry on items) then I should be able to make it up to you around 11-12 AM. Basically long enough to drop my checked items (live rock) at the apartment and head that way. Do you think you're stable for millis and acros? How much space are we talking? I doubt I'll end up with more than a dozen or two frags, quite possibly less, but I want to have an idea before packing.

As for day/time, I wasn't given a date, but I'm guessing Wednesday or Thursday based on what the freight carrier said. I got permission to ship to my office (hurrah for fork trucks and delivery docks), but was told I need to have it out within 24 hours of arrival, so basically the day it arrives.
Unload time is really whatever works for you guys. I'm assuming after 5:00 will be best, but I'll have the rental truck over night (unless someone has a pickup they want to volunteer, but then it would need to be in work hours at least to get it loaded).
Current plan is:
1) Make sure it doesn't sound like shattered glass.
2) Get rental truck (UHaul).
3) Get crate home.
4) Open crate and strip out contents (sump, t-shirts, etc packed inside the tank).
5) Get help moving it inside (first floor apartment,but not a ton of space).
6) Drive to hardware store while I still have the truck, get some 2x6's to make a Rocket Engineer stand as I sadly ran out of time to integrate the old stand in to the shipping crate.

The club has four glass-suction cups you could borrow; not sure if @ashburn2k has them, if he does and you are meeting him prior to the move, bring them along.
How big of a tank is it?

maybe you should try to setup a temp holding tub or something. A rubbermaid , heater, pumps and lights could help alot with holding coral. Just add water.

Lots of ideas tossed around before I finally found an effective way to ship a tank. As we sit today:

The tank en route to SF is roughly 60" wide x 24" deep x 27" tall. I figure it risks being my tank for a year, so I might as well make it look nice and I already have the tank and a decent amount of equipment. It weighs just a touch over 300 pounds empty.

The tank back in DFW is the 600, which might move directly, might end up in storage a while, etc. Depends on how my wife's job search shakes out, and then how our housing search shakes out after that.

That's easy. Wife in labor now, but I should be able to help. That can fit in my van if I that helps BTW

That sir is some dedication to the hobby even considering that now. I hope everything goes well for you two and the new member of the family.
Putting it in your van would be great. I hadn't considered it, but I might be able to strip out the crate in advance, then there would be just a trip with the contents/wood and a trip with the tank. It's only 1 mile from the office to home, so that may work well.
I'll see if I can use one at work, but do you by chance have a drill and extension cord you could bring? If not I'll pick one up.

Back