High Tide Aquatics

Moving

So, I'll be moving in about 1 month and would like to get prepared for it when the time comes.
What is the best plan of attack?
Lots of tubs to put rocks with corals and fishes, throw the water out and carry tank with just a little bit of water and sand?
I'm going to have to have water ready on the other side to fill up again, right? Does anyone have a couple drums to lend me?

I think I'd dump the sand and just start with fresh stuff at the new place. I'd worry about moving the tank with any weight in it for fear of stressing it.

Keep the sand
Keep the rock wet
Bag the fish in O2
Keep half of the old water

I have Rubbermaid bins 100 and 150 gallons you can use (but need back promptly after using)

I have moved more tanks than I care to remember...successfully

For a tank your size, it's possible to move it with sand inside. I moved a 65g down two flights of stairs, but it was heavy with the sandbed in it. You need at least three guys who can lift 80# or so. Two guys carry, one guy floats to open doors and provide extra support and stability.

If you choose this route, I'd leave 1" of water in it for the move, then fill it at least partially on the other end, then drain and discard the first batch of water.

If you remove the sandbed, I'd recommend discarding most of it, putting in fresh, and seeding it with a few cups of the old. You might get a mini cycle, but if you do a small water change a day for the first couple weeks you can help it restabilize.

Since your tank is glass, I'd discourage you from moving it with rocks inside. I would set up tubs a few days before the move if you can. Get them up to temp and have a power head in. Bring the rocks over submerged in buckets with lids, transfer them to the tubs. I recommend transporting them in separate containers because a lot of detritus will shake out of the rocks in transit.

Hope that helps, let me know which day you move and I will help if I'm off work that day.

Your liverock will have most of the bacteria you need.

Sandbeds collect a lot of detritus over time. In my opinion, ditch the sand and put new sand in. Once you bring that old sand and stir it up with water you might end up with a little cycle. Might as well replace it with new sand later. One less thing to worry about. Good luck with your move Robert! :)

Moving the tank with the sand inside will be extremely heavy. I think you have a illuminata tank, it has a frame on the bottom. Even with a good grip on the bottom of the tank, it will still be heavy. Anyone tried using those arm strap before. I think that would help transfer a majority of the weight on the arm, leaving your hands to only balance the tank. Keeping only 25% of the water would probably be more than enough.

I would def throw the coral, rocks and a heater in a container! Get rid of the sand and go barebottom lol! Ive moved tanks with sand and it is a pain in the butt, get new sand or just dont use any after the move! Good luck with the move and make sure you have some nice strong people to help you out.
Oh and take your time! Coral, rocks and fish should be fine for a couple of days as long as you have some flow, a heater and light for them.

Back