Mozby's Noob Nano Reef (Nuvo 20)

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Mozby, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Chromis

Chromis Supporting Member

Looking good! Emerald crabs are great, as long as they are well fed :) they do a good job of cleaning up uneaten fish food too.

Mozby likes this.
  2. Mozby

Mozby Supporting Member

Update on Kalwasser fail

I recently posted a separate thread about my kalwasser “eating” through my water dispenser ATO container. Thought I should document it here as a reminder of the experience as well as a PSA for beginner reefers who stumble upon my journal.

So here is the old container, which slowly leaked overnight through a crack created by the kalk water after just 2 days of adding it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Was looking at acrylic and glass ATOs but still preferred to avoid the $100+ on a damn container (I can’t be the only one who thinks ATO reservoirs are overpriced right?). So I ended up getting a small glass tank from pet smart for $15. Then I went to TAP plastics to get a custom acrylic lid with hinge, a handle and a 1/4” hole for the tubing... for $5. Total cost $20! Works well so far.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  3. Mozby

Mozby Supporting Member

Took a chance on a fresh cut rainbow acan from CW a couple of weeks ago... polyps are extending and looking nice!

[​IMG]

scuba71 and Rostato like this.
  4. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster Staff Member

That look really nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mozby likes this.
  5. Mozby

Mozby Supporting Member

Thanks! They looked ok as a fresh cut, but something was off about them even after a week..... so I was having a sort of buyer's remorse.... then suddenly BAM! They look great now....whew!

6. Mozby

Mozby Supporting Member

As thanksgiving is around the corner, I wanted to say how thankful I am to be in the company of friendly and knowledgeable hobbyists who are ever so helpful with information and other resources.

Additionally, I am thankful for snagging this beautiful nem at the bonus round of the swap! Thanks @sfsuphysics! I am told it is from the lineage of the infamous “Sir Splits-a-lot”.

[​IMG][​IMG]

JVU likes this.
  7. Mozby

Mozby Supporting Member

DIY upgrade to my “tank stand”

Decided to make some functional modifications to my ikea cube storage that I’ve been using as a tank stand. The cube baskets were not the best way to store all reef-related stuff.... a lot of wasted storage height and I’d sometimes have to dig for stuff.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Wish I’d known about it sooner, but ikea had some cool modular upgrades that makes organizing stuff a lot easier.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Took barely 30 mins and BAMM! Tank stand upgraded! Woot!

JVU likes this.
  8. jorahx4

jorahx4 Supporting Member

looks much better!

Mozby likes this.
  9. JVU

JVU BOD

Wow, satisfying upgrade to your stand!

Mozby likes this.
  10. Rostato

Rostato Supporting Member

Well played ikea!

Mozby likes this.
  11. Mozby

Mozby Supporting Member

Adding marine pure gems to the tank... finally they made something smaller than the spheres and cubes!
    [​IMG]

Noticed some mucusy stuff on my chaeto today. Anyone know what this is? Is it melting from too much light? Or is it just aquarium gunk? Or something else?
    [​IMG]

12. JVU

JVU BOD

Looks like algae

13. jorahx4

GHA growing in chaeto?

14. Mozby

Mozby Supporting Member

Hmmm really? I rinse it once a week during wc. Do I need to rinse it more often? It looks pretty bad.

15. Mozby

Mozby Supporting Member

Thankfully not GHA. More like a gel substance clumped around parts of the chaeto.

16. JVU

JVU BOD

I get some slime algae on top of my chaeto sometimes. I don’t worry about it, I just harvest that part.

You rinse your chaeto at water changes? I’ve never done that and don’t think most people do. Shouldn’t be necessary.

17. scuba71

scuba71 Supporting Member

I have the same exact issue. Haven’t been able to figure out what it is.

18. Jonathan Chia

Jonathan Chia Supporting Member

I have the same issue with my chaeto in the back of my nuvo 20...I think its just detritus getting stuck in it?

19. jorahx4

i just put that part of the chaeto into my algae clip for the tang to eat haha

20. Mozby

Mozby Supporting Member

Is your chaeto growing fine though?