Cali Kid Corals

MP10 issues

I purchased an MP10 about two weeks ago and when I installed it I found it quite noisy. I let it in break for a few days but from 75% on up it overpowers the tv. I contacted ecotech and after running dry side only which was very quiet they sent me a new wet side. I installed the new wet side today and it's just as loud if not more. I am going to let it break in to see if it vastly improves but are wondering if this is just the way they sound. Wanted to know people's experiences and how much noise is the norm on the things.

jacuzzi said:
I purchased an MP10 about two weeks ago and when I installed it I found it quite noisy. I let it in break for a few days but from 75% on up it overpowers the tv. I contacted ecotech and after running dry side only which was very quiet they sent me a new wet side. I installed the new wet side today and it's just as loud if not more. I am going to let it break in to see if it vastly improves but are wondering if this is just the way they sound. Wanted to know people's experiences and how much noise is the norm on the things.

I have MP40's, I notice when there turned up past the 50% power they start to get pretty noisy. Also the same with the MP60 You should expect some noise, the MP10's might be louder because the thousing is so small??

Playing with the wet side can lower the noise. I have both an mp10 and an mp40. The mp40 can be louder, I've had to adjust it a lot. The mp10 just needed adjustment in the tank.

My mp10's are the same way. My wife calls them the "whiners" . I also have had the ceramic washer fall out of its inset 3 times . Very loud.
Ecotech told me to apply superglue to secure it. New wet side didn't help either. Over- Rated if you ask me ...now :).
Tunze from now on.

Plumstr8 said:
jacuzzi said:

I have MP40's, I notice when there turned up past the 50% power they start to get pretty noisy. Also the same with the MP60 You should expect some noise, the MP10's might be louder because the thousing is so small??

MP10 is redesign over the MP40, it's quieter due to both being smaller, and pushing less water. Only unit later then it is the MP60 which has some design changes as well.

jacuzzi said:

I had MP10s, and they were sensitive to the alignment.
Put it to full power.
Then wiggle the dry side around a bit, and see if the noise drops off.
It did for me. Although they were not as loud as you describe even un-aligned.
I was quite happy after aligning it.
I also had to zip-tie the power cord to the top, because the weight + vibration
made it move a bit and get out of alignment.

Do you have thin glass? I think there is some sort of shim needed on dry side if you do.

It shouldnt be so hard to install a powerhead. I've aligned , zip-tied etc. many times nothing works. Funny thing is a friend bought one at the same time, place I did an his is half as loud as mine I've even tired his wet side ,no change. Maybe duct tape will work? Thanks Mark for the idea :) I have noticed that if I apply pressure to the dry side it quiets down. But dry side alone is quiet.

Try playing with the wetside a bit, see if the magnet/impeller rocks side to side at all (it shouldn't) one thing I've noticed with vortechs over the years I've been using them is that the plastic parts do eventually wear down making them not as snug as they should, a little bit off and they rattle like crazy.

I also had problems with my MP10 and I called EcoTech and they told me that there is probably a problem with the bearings. Days later the dry side completely shut down, it was constantly stalling. I called them and they immediately sent me a new one in the mail and I have not had any problems since. They were very reasonable with the return; I would suggest giving them a call and see if you can get a replacement dry side.

porksmash said:
How thick is your glass vs your friend's tank?
Both Oceanic 57. 3/8" I think.
I too believe the noise is in the dry side and is only present when on the tank because of grooves worn into the magnet and housing or the bearings.
Kinda like grooves on a record. And when I am running in without the wet side its not engaging the grooves.
I'm not an Engineer and have not taken it apart but its the only common factor.
I have been lazy in follow up with ecotech.

(edit: missed post)

I have had an mp10 since they came out. I have always noticed a "whine" when it ramps up. On the back of the wetside there is a rubbery foam pad. Did you try to squish out the air bubbles with your thumbs when you have it underwater? Maybe it isn't making the best contact.

I have added the pad with no improvement. I am sending back the second one that ecotech sent because its crazy loud and keeping the original. I can live with the noise don't know how long the girlfriend will last but we both agree the original is much quieter. I love what the unit does just never expected to pay so much for a power head and have noise be an issue. Of course I could always upgrade at a later date and run a mp40 at half way and hopefully not hear it at all. But I'm dreaming...

jacuzzi said:
..... I love what the unit does just never expected to pay so much for a power head and have noise be an issue. Of course I could always upgrade at a later date and run a mp40 at half way and hopefully not hear it at all. But I'm dreaming...

+1

If you have that much noise something is broken, my mp10 is essentially silent untill about 70% where you can hear it a little but once I got a mag7 that quickly droned out any other noise, the mag7 is L O U D and I hate it but need it =/.

When running mp10 on NTM or any wave mode you will hear it as it speeds up and slows down but that is expected with any pump. I typically run on reef crest or lagoon and both are only audible when they get to a high % and that is just a temporary thing as it quickly changes speeds.

Also might have to do with thickness, iirc 3/8" is the maximum thickness for an mp10, I run it on my 25g acrylic and have no idea how thick it is but I would imagine as the media gets thicker the magnet is not able to hold as well which could make it rattle.

Back