Kessil

MP40's or K-4's?

The new ones are better designed with better bushings on the wetside so they have less problems just remember to align the wet and dry sit with it on constant full power and you will be good to go.

rgonzalez said:
Sounds like I'll be buying them new. So do the new wireless Vortechs have lots of problems I should be concerned with?

Far less then the models before them. I would go new myself... like everyone else I bought used and replaced enough where I should have bought new... or should I say Rich replaced enough of it to warrant a new one :lol:

Most likely a larger one or one that handles thicker glass :D It won't replace any on the market currently I am pretty sure ;)

yeah they've already done small, no sense going smaller than the MP10, the pico market isn't there, besides pico people probably use the mp10... unless you're Eric, he uses an MP40 :D

Bigger one that competes with flow with Tunze's higher end (beyond the 610x) market is all I can think of either. Maybe a really wide pump, but without adding more length so it's like a shrouded boat propeller :D

My MP-40s are louder than the Koralias I had before. It's sort of a whine that goes up and down with the motor speed. It's not horrible, but it's definitely noticeable, so that's another factor to consider.

I've heard some loud MP-40's and some really quiet ones. The build of the system/house seem to play a big factor in how loud they are. Some houses they seem to be louder in other rooms then the aquarium room itself. I've found that to be true with Tunzes as well.

My Tunzes are super quiet, when my MP40 is working (occasionally), it competes with my Maxi-Mod for volume. I do believe there are a few factors involved.

What Tunzes do you have? I use the older 6101's. Heck, I just found a BOX of them in my stuff... 4 brand new 6101's in boxes with 2x of the battery back-up connectors.

Oops, yah, 6100.1 is what I have as well. 4 brand new ones, but I think I am going with 2x MP-40's instead since I don't want to Tunze foot print in this tank. It's got an external overflow so you'll be able to see the tunzes loud and clear :(

I would love to go all Vortech, but I haven't the $$$ nor do I want to keep spare parts around so I can send stuff out to get repaired. The Tunzes are pretty damn ugly...

Yeah my 6100's are nice and quiet compared to vortechs. But that's also because they have a bunch of water to muffle the sound, where as the Vortech is vibrating across a large acrylic pane in the air. While I got 5 vortechs (I think?.. yeah I got parts all over the place) I don't think I'd mind the Tunze's over them at this point, mostly because my tank is deep front to back... if I had a traditional 18" or even 24" depth maybe would care a bit more.

I had an issue with the wetside falling off if in any mode besides pulse or constant. Vortech support did an advanced exchange, sent me a new wetside with a pre-paid shipping for return of the old part. New part has worked great. Great support.

tuberider said:
My Tunzes are super quiet, when my MP40 is working (occasionally), it competes with my Maxi-Mod for volume. I do believe there are a few factors involved.

I exchanged 2 maxijet mods for one mp40 on full blast. The mp40 put out way more flow than 2 maxijet mods with big props. This was done in a gyre type setup.

So are Tunze's better than Vortech's? It sounds like there are some problems with Vortech's needing repair more than Tunze... ?

Put it this way, those people who have problems tend to be more vocal, you mentioned Vortechs in this topic so of course people are talking about those problems that could occur. Tunzes by regard also have their fair share of problems too, I personally have not had any, but I've know of others who have.

I've had issues with Tunze, especially the older models with the stupid alarms (which all mine are). They tend to need cleaning more so then other pumps I have owned, or they seize up and kick the alarm off.. usually very really in the am.

Tunzes are awesome though, as are Vortechs. There are trade offs with both.

Back