Our mission

Much harder to do then a scoly

Ive had this Pink yuma for over a year and a half, and recently, operator error on my part has resulted in the Yuma coming into contact with some of my prized corals...of course tissue loss was the end result for everything except the yuma. Anyway, over the past 6 months, I've tried to cut the foot and get some babies, but all melted away. I tried to use flow to get it to move off its perch, and eventually it did, without leaving a baby behind.

Because I didn't keep an eye on it, the now dislodged yuma floated up against two scolys, and basically melted the flesh on 1/2 of one, and 1/8 th of the other. So I grabbed my fresh scalpel from the soft coral frag kit I won at BAYMAC....and went to work...I hope it heals...one thing I haven't seen is its guts being expelled. Also while I was bathing it in Lugols, I really didnt get a ton of slimming...I wasn't greedy and made a 4 sliced pizza, which from all accounts hasn't really been that effective in recovery. It was a super healthy specimen, I hope it heals and can be done again...
Here it is in it's glory
IMG_0511.jpg

Here is the operating table
yumafrag001.jpg

Here it is out of the tank, it hasn't even deflated yet
yumafrag002.jpg

Freshly cut, notice all the water it was filled with....
yumafrag003.jpg

typical post cut lugols dip, used a pipette to blow the excess slime, very little of it.
yumafrag004.jpg

yumafrag007.jpg

Healing in a specimen box with rubble I broke up from my sump
yumafrag012.jpg

nice looking yuma...I hate these things - they are so pricy and yet so delicate. I lost my prized pink colony 2 years ago - I kept my zoas and yuma's in a 12g nano instead of my high flow 40 sps reef, and it got super hot one day...everything melted! What a bummer!

Eric - got pics of yours?

-Kyle

Im glad to hear, I figured it was as healthy a specimen as I'll ever get, so I went for it.

I know the pain of losing prized yumas that would just melt after 6 months.

Yup, best of luck to those guys. Once they're established they tend to do pretty well; as long as they're covered from the light.

Here's the updated shot from today.
rics%20030810.jpg

The cut one from above is on the left and the cut is in the center. The blue one in the front there is also from a cut. The other half of it is hidden behind the two in the back. That orange and white one is slated next; probably sometime in the next 6 months when it recovers (got it a month ago bleached and it's recovering nicely).

i have the exact same Yuma fishe4livin and I'm really interested if it works for you. Takes alot of guts to cut it in half--especially with Yumas being so tricky and all.

patrickb said:
i have the exact same Yuma fishe4livin and I'm really interested if it works for you. Takes alot of guts to cut it in half--especially with Yumas being so tricky and all.

This is nothing, Craig frags fish...................LOL

LOL Imus, I don't want more fish...

So the two frags were looking good and I decided to cut again....
The bottom frag wasn't looking too hot 24 hours after the cut, but 48 hours, it looks better...
the top one is looking really good.
yumafragging003.jpg

Here is the other side I cut last month
yumafragging005.jpg

I'm probably going to donate that one to NCRC for Baymac, look to spend half of what I did originally.

If those fresh cuts look good in a week, I will be getting rid of the original cut frag at Baymac....if the frags are looking sad, then Im going to hold onto it.

fishez4alivin said:
If those fresh cuts look good in a week, I will be getting rid of the original cut frag at Baymac....if the frags are looking sad, then Im going to hold onto it.

Which tank? NCRC?

Frags look great, so I will be donating the Original cut from a couple months ago to this club....however, I think it's worth a lot more than 10 bucks..llol

Craig, I know we won't be selling everything at 10 dollars. I'll be bringing stuff that will sell for more.

Back