High Tide Aquatics

Muhli's 28G Nano-Cube

Started noticing some reddish algae? and hair algae? in the corner of my tank where flow isn't as strong.. is that normal for things to grow in places where there's less flow?

Started noticing some reddish algae? and hair algae? in the corner of my tank where flow isn't as strong.. is that normal for things to grow in places where there's less flow?

Yes that is a high possibility and the reddish algae could be Cyano...post a pic to help I identify

Jill has a small patch of cyano in her tank in this low spot area. It hasn't moved. Just stayed in the same area. I wonder if we can syphon it all out.

Also low flow. But the patch is only 2inches long.

If it gets crazy out of control we will probably use chemi clean, but its been there for like 3 weeks and hasnt spread or grown.

Mike,

If possible add a little power head to give a bit more flow just in that area..like this pump

I have one if you would like to try it out...

Also muhli, red cyano doesn't have to be stringy. It can be a slimey layer on top of sand/rock. When you break it up it will also become stringy.

Wow jon that pump is super micro. 2 inches by 2 inches! I kinda want it!

Also muhli, red cyano doesn't have to be stringy. It can be a slimey layer on top of sand/rock. When you break it up it will also become stringy.

Wow jon that pump is super micro. 2 inches by 2 inches! I kinda want it!

I use is to blow on corals when dipping and then I clean it, but Mike @Enderturtle if you want to try it out and see if it works I will be glad to have you give it a spin and I have other pumps to use when I dip...;)

I've used chemi clean before with success, but I dont really want to go that route again. Might just get another power head.

@Enderturtle I have a bunch of chemiclean left over if you want to use some.

Been dealing with a lot of stuff lately. Lots of things happened to the tank since the last time I posted. Not much good things, but lots of bad things.

1) Midas died. Not sure how. Everything else was still alive and kicking
2) Male clownfish jumped and died. After 4+ years of owning him..
3) Battling some sort of algae. Bryopsis? I've attached pics here.. maybe someone can help me ID.
Ender gave me some Mg test kit today.. tested at 1200.
Not much info on the algae from what I can see.. Its growing super fast and everywhere. I cant tell if its ferny. But my turbo snails are completely ignoring it. So I'm pretty sure its not hair algae.
When I try to pull it out, it doesn't break at the root, but somewhere along the stem (is that the correct term?)

12318470_10153298952177781_1754951237_o.jpg
12333019_10153298952027781_155497860_o.jpg
12334163_10153298952382781_1338264516_o.jpg

My lettuce sea slug is supposed to eat Bryopsis if that's what it is. Right now I have to supplement feed her since there's no algae in my tank.

How do you like that skimmer? I just got one.

I like the skimmer. Pulls out some really nasty stuff. Both liquids and mushy solids. I just hate cleaning the cup every week. Its not the cleaning part I hate the most, its when I pull the collection cup up, it gets really stuck because there's water on the side that creates some kinda friction or suction

Yeah the skimmers that come with the cadlight tanks do that too. They get really stuck.

Gotta wiggle em side to side to get the cup off. My reef octopus skimmer cup comes off easily but there's barely any room in my sump cabinet to get the cup out!

I've completely had it with the hair algae now. Nothing seems to work. Just ordered some AlgaeFix in hopes it'll nuke it out. Here's a FTS of a before:

12358306_10153309480302781_1132324532_n.jpg

Will post a after shot after the AlgaeFix.

After its gone, I'm gonna dig up my old reactor and start GFO. Anyone got pump recommendations for a TLF 150 reactor?

Hope to find a male clown for my female.. its been looking a bit sad since the male jumped.

Netting is ordered and arrived. Just need to go buy some window frame from HD.

Also thinking of adding some hermit crabs. Never had any experience with them before. Scared that it might kill my turbos.. any suggestions?

Also btw, the green pocillopora is back again free to anyone.

Hermits wont kill your turbos unless theyre hungry with no new shells.

Remember to follow the instructions for algaefx in the reefcentral thread. The thread is based on experience by reefers.

The bottle says generic instructions but doesnt really focus on reef hobbyists. Too much and too long can kill corals.

Back