My 170g cube

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by grizfyrfyter, Apr 13, 2018.

1. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Damn fish. [​IMG]

2. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

I'm liking this wall frogspawn. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet though. [​IMG]

glee likes this.
  3. glee

glee BOD

It’s picture time lol

4. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Last week I saw a post elsewhere about lighting schedules and saw several people had peaks and valleys in their light intesity schedule. I've always had mine ramp up, stable at peak intensity then ramp down.

I looked into a few videos of presentations by experts at things like MACNA and read a few articles and it convinced me to change my lighting schedule.

Now my lights ramp up then fluctuate in a way that somewhat simulates cloud cover.

If I ran my lights at 70% or more consistently, my LPS like acans, Blasto and chalices did poorly and some shrank and started dying until I lowered the consistent intensity. My clam was also very upset. I haven't moved my acans back into the display yet but my LPS is doing great, chalices are growing again and the clam is happy.

Here is the schedule I use now for intensity. Color fluctuates a little too but never goes higher than 45%.
    4x Kessil A360we tuna blue on 36x36x30 tank. [​IMG]

JVU likes this.
  5. glee

glee BOD

Can store it in my tank lol

6. Flagg37

Flagg37 Supporting Member

Interesting. Keep us posted with how it goes.

7. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Love this one[​IMG]

tankguy, glee and ashburn2k like this.
  8. Chromis

Chromis Supporting Member

Very nice! What kind of chalice is it?

9. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

No clue. It was $20 at Aqua workz 6 months ago.

I'm terrible with names. Only time I try to keep track is if it's something I know I will be fragging and selling later on. If it's pretty and affordable, I buy it.

Baykes likes this.
  10. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

11. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

The refugium, aka coral eater jail. [​IMG]

12. glee

glee BOD

Lol who got banished?

13. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Coral beauty that eats everything and a file fish that decided sps polyps taste better than aptasia.

14. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Ordered some mangroves ($15 on ebay for 5). I'm designing a basket (like net cups used in hydroponics) to grow them in my overflow.

15. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Had some hair algae growing on these sps frags in the frag tank. Put them on a rack in the display for 10 minutes and they are all clean now.

That's what 9 tangs gets you. [​IMG]

glee likes this.
  16. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Webmaster Staff Member

I did same thing until one day my hippo decides that zoas are tasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

I used to have a hippo that liked to pick up chalices and put them on rocks. I thought my wife was trolling me for months until I saw the fish do it.

Baykes likes this.
  18. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

The euphyllia cove is coming along nicely. [​IMG]

19. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest

Put some mangroves in the overflow. Just rubber banded for now, I'm printing some net cups and clamps to hold them in place. I probably will have to add a light for the mangroves.

20. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Guest