Kessil

My 200 gallon mixed reef tank

Not sure what to say so I will just photodump! My iphone camera broke and its all I had to take with at the time so sorry for the blurryness.

dfd6fc1864dc08637ff22cef06e88683.jpg

9b8354f0a7dfd5e8feb94c8f40b43a9e.jpg

1076aec9fdbdbe720ffca8cf2ab1b118.jpg

6a0bcca4ace19bbe6a6210e60ddd8bc9.jpg

6d4700e111d23e7ee67255912562bc00.jpg

5bee98fc40b9fe13f533f2014c26c5f4.jpg

b4515b0de646b43a187a151c1c9dfb56.jpg

3d2d62c824f8c81b9aedaa3caa83418c.jpg

188a7f59f79e8d864daf11791495b5e4.jpg

81d051e93f5f3e6446bc36d46edb190b.jpg

5c464dc438ffdb91263463c75302099f.jpg

Will edit weekly when I have the time! Feel free to ask any questions. BIG high end coral shipment coming in June so it will be looking great soon. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NICE!!

I find it amusing that lights are on the left, and fish are on the right in the dark.
(No surprise in a new setup)

Overflow seems a bit on the small side. Maybe just the camera angle.

Did you leave that foam sheet or whatever it is under the tank? It would be hard to clean and dry under there with it.

NICCCCe tank! any reason why the lights are arranged to most left side?

I actually have 4 lights but I purposely left one out and shifted to the left because my boxfish is sensitive to light so when my LED’s are blasting during the day, I give her a place to swim about on the right side comfortably :).

She started eating shortly after I did this too and Ill stick to the “if its working, dont change it.” Im going to redo my scape in may/june. Waiting for a deal locally or on BRS for rocks.

NICE!!

I find it amusing that lights are on the left, and fish are on the right in the dark.
(No surprise in a new setup)

Overflow seems a bit on the small side. Maybe just the camera angle.

I was sitting on my couch when I took that specific picture. Im trying to train the fish to all be handfed lol. So far I got the naso tang, goldbar maroon and sailfin to do it. Im hoping all my fish can be handfed and docile...the powdered blue is my biggest challenge haha

Did you leave that foam sheet or whatever it is under the tank? It would be hard to clean and dry under there with it.

I placed the foam for better weight distribution. I always have a towel in my buttpocket when I do tank maintenance and so far, no spillage haha. Hopefully I maintain my pristine water management habits.

what kinda boxfish you got ?

I have a female yellowspotted boxfish. If all my fish live from their juvenile stage to adulthood, I will definitely need to upgrade to a 1,000 gallon tank. I will worry about that in 10 years when I have the savings. :]

I placed the foam for better weight distribution. I always have a towel in my buttpocket when I do tank maintenance and so far, no spillage haha. Hopefully I maintain my pristine water management habits.
I don’t think it will help distribute the weight since the foam isn’t rigid, but might help if you are worried about damaging the floor with those rubber feet, but then only the foam under the feet is helping. Anyway you may consider cutting out the excess foam around the feet at some point. Up to you obviously, but would look nicer and be easier to keep clean.

I have the same tank and considered putting something between the feet and my wood floor, but in the end I didn’t.

Hahahaha. No water spills on a rimless 200G tank. Good one.
:)
But nothing a line of towels on the floor will not solve.

You sure that boxfish is a good plan?
Not coral eaters, but fairly poor swimmers.
With a long tank like that, and if you plan SPS, you need serious power heads on each end to get enough flow.
That could cause some trouble for a boxfish.

Hahahaha. No water spills on a rimless 200G tank. Good one.
:)
But nothing a line of towels on the floor will not solve.

You sure that boxfish is a good plan?
Not coral eaters, but fairly poor swimmers.
With a long tank like that, and if you plan SPS, you need serious power heads on each end to get enough flow.
That could cause some trouble for a boxfish.

Ill update you when a spill happens.
My top priorities are the wellbeing of my fish and the equipment. I hope with atleast 15+ years of fishkeeping and the tens of thousands of gallons Ive wasted due to spills, it will have taught me to maximize efficiency and minimize spillage. Haha

Since Banana(my boxfish) is already in my tank, any future updates or changes will revolve around them. If that means 0 sps in this tank as long as shes there, that is the life I have chosen. *Salute*

I don’t think it will help distribute the weight since the foam isn’t rigid, but might help if you are worried about damaging the floor with those rubber feet, but then only the foam under the feet is helping. Anyway you may consider cutting out the excess foam around the feet at some point. Up to you obviously, but would look nicer and be easier to keep clean.

I have the same tank and considered putting something between the feet and my wood floor, but in the end I didn’t.

Initially, I didnt think it would help either and laid it down because it helped establish peace of mind for my granny.

Blurry picture but the mat actually is rigid. The mat is beaded foam and it turned out to surprisingly distribute weight by the mat tightening on the inside and corners not in contact with the cabinet legs. My thinking was I got to leave excess mat from weight impact tightening or it will just rip if perfectly sized. Not too worried about aesthetics currently though. If shes ugly, Ill still love her [emoji39] ❤️ haha

Gotta say when I first saw that first picture you posted of the stand my mind instantly screamed "DUDE! DO NOT PUT A TANK ON THAT!" then I started wondering if you were doing some artsy piece.... then I got smart and scrolled down further, oh hey look there are sides to your stand to hold the weight! :D

Looks good though.

Gotta say when I first saw that first picture you posted of the stand my mind instantly screamed "DUDE! DO NOT PUT A TANK ON THAT!" then I started wondering if you were doing some artsy piece.... then I got smart and scrolled down further, oh hey look there are sides to your stand to hold the weight! :D

Looks good though.

When I was building it and didnt see the cabinet wallside box, I thought... what the... this better not be it cause even though I didnt take advanced physics classes, I know this wont hold. My dad still thinks the cabinet is too weak. I just shrug now when he talks about it haha

When I was building it and didnt see the cabinet wallside box, I thought... what the... this better not be it cause even though I didnt take advanced physics classes, I know this wont hold. My dad still thinks the cabinet is too weak. I just shrug now when he talks about it haha

Probably ok in general.
My big issue with some stands - they have almost no supports to handle sheer loads in an earthquake, which is risky in our area.

Ill update you when a spill happens.
My top priorities are the wellbeing of my fish and the equipment. I hope with atleast 15+ years of fishkeeping and the tens of thousands of gallons Ive wasted due to spills, it will have taught me to maximize efficiency and minimize spillage. Haha

Since Banana(my boxfish) is already in my tank, any future updates or changes will revolve around them. If that means 0 sps in this tank as long as shes there, that is the life I have chosen. *Salute*

Just thinking about the real ocean - boxfish are pretty common even in high surge zones. They just stay down in the coral heads.
So I bet Banana will be fine once your corals grow in a bit.

Yeah. Fingers crossed :). Was thinking about getting gsps for her to graze but they turn into pests with how much they grow

Back