Cali Kid Corals

My 40G breeder tank

[quote author=Elite link=topic=5108.msg69527#msg69527 date=1229320952]
It will stay there :) .. I'm trying to figure out to paint the logo on the light fixture too. Most of my corals are from BAR's DBTC. ;D
[/quote]

Get another sticker, like the one on the front, stick it on the light fixture, and get some white spray paint, basically using the sticker as a mask.
(make sure the sticker is firmly pressed down where the paint wil be, and let it get tacky before you remove the mask. If you wait to long to remove the mask, it may pull some of the white paint with it.

Tank pic updates?

If the sticker is a complete sheet then you have to make a stencil. Probably stick it on a card stock and exacto cut the areas you want in white out. :) Tape stencil and mask areas you don't want white and spray.

the sticker isn't complete if my memory (which is normally crap) serves, the black portions are all individual sections. There is no "connective" sticker.

It's not a complete sheet. I actually messed it up when I put it on the tank. Levi had to fix it for me. If I want to spray/paint the fixture, I have to find another sticker. There is no way I can peel this out of tank in one piece.

There isn't much change on the tank. I transfered some macroalgae and couple piece of rocks over. Testing the tank to make sure it's ready. I think I will wait for 2-3 more weeks to transfer everything over from the 12G tank.

Since everything is looking good in the tank, I moved almost everything from the 12G into the 40G today.. no pic until the water clear up a bit..

Any suggestions on how to move the sand over and not create too much sand storm? It's only about 10lbs wet so it's not much..

I honestly wouldn't move sand. It is loaded with mulm, and nitrate sources, plus possible anaerobic pollutants. Sand is cheap. Use new sand and if you want, seed your new tank with a scoop from the old.

I keep macro algae so I don't mind dirty sand ;D.. I know sand is cheap but hate throwing stuff away.. The sand are not really dirty.. It doesn't even smell when I scoop it out.

The easiest way would be to siphon the sand into a bucket. This will create a dust storm of fine particles and detritus. Immediately decant off the dirty water and replace with a few inches of clean salt water. Then you can scoop the "wet" sand into the new tank an minimize the cloud of debris.

I've done this many times successfully...

My first step is to take about 2-4 cups worth of the best looking sand on the surface out of the old tank.
Second step is to take the rest out and to stir the crap out of it in a bucket or bin with used or new salt water and poor off the dirty salt water until the sand is clean and no longer kicking up fine particles.
Lastly... in a 2-8 cup container slowly lower scoopfulls of the sand to the bottom of the new tank w/ ph's off putting the first 2-4 cups you took out of the old tank down last.
I think it works great and I've never had it effect any livestock negatively.

Thanks guys.. I will try that... I think my sand is too fine that's why when I pour them out, the fine stuff goes everywhere even with the PHs off.

Use a container with a lid. Take the lid off with the container upside down once you get it to the bottom of the tank... should help keep the fine sand from taking off.

I use the long funnels you get at automotive stores, if you set the bottom of the funnel against the bottom of the tank you can control how much sand is being distributed.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=5108.msg75091#msg75091 date=1232145028]
I use the long funnels you get at automotive stores, if you set the bottom of the funnel against the bottom of the tank you can control how much sand is being distributed.
[/quote]

Very cool Idea.... I'll be using that next time.

When I got some grunge from GARF, they told me to take the whole plastic bag, let it sit on the bottom over the sand, then cut the bag open on the bottom or side and slowly pour the stuff out. It worked great. I slowly dragged the bag over the sand to distribute the grunge.

That stuff is really fine, like mud. I'm sure this technique would work well with sand. Of course all water flow was off and I let it settle before turning it back on. :)

That work too... I can use small sandwich bag. Will do that on Sunday... Worse case the tank will have sand storm for one day.. They settle really fast now..

OK the water is a bit clearer.. Here is a quick dirty FTS ;D.. I still need to move stuff around and glue some stuff down...
FTS-01162009.jpg

Back