got ethical husbandry?

My 40g tank

Well as some of you may know I have started a new project. Since the petco sale was going on and I was running out of room in my biocube I started up a 40g breeder and decided to give a hand at doing a bit of custom work. So far the stand has been built and the plumbing is in a temporary stage til I get my sump. Here are some pics!

Its level at least.

First glass drill! It was a success!

Water testing the tank. Made a minor mistake and stuck the the second pair of gaskets in the wrong spot... that was a bit of water everywhere but all good now. The back plumbing is very temporary til I get a actual sump. Just wanted to do a water test to make sure no leaks.

I would want to add some weight support for the pvc pipes onto the stud, overflow with water can get heavy and will cause holed glass some level of stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also, you want a cross beam on both end of the stand posts to prevent twisting... esp out here in can you get some shakes..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would want to add some weight support for the pvc pipes onto the stud, overflow with water can get heavy and will cause holed glass some level of stress.

Hmm I'll look up what i'll need to buy to support that. I am not even sure how I would. The part that makes it kind of difficult to support it is because the plumbing never goes under the stand. I can't fit a sump under the stand so I opted to place the sump behind the stand. This makes it so all the plumbing is basically going straight down. I could add an extra 2x4 under the stand pushed up against the pvc and tie down the pvc to that 2x4 but that doesn't seem like support so much as keeping it from wobbling left and right.

Also, you want a cross beam on both end of the stand posts to prevent twisting... esp out here in can you get some shakes..

I do have some left over 2x4. I can def add those.

Last edited:
Hmm I'll look up what i'll need to buy to support that. I am not even sure how I would. The part that makes it kind of difficult to support it is because the plumbing never goes under the stand. I can't fit a sump under the stand so I opted to place the sump behind the stand. This makes it so all the plumbing is basically going straight down. I could add an extra 2x4 under the stand pushed up against the pvc and tie down the pvc to that 2x4 but that doesn't seem like support so much as keeping it from wobbling left and right.

I do have some left over 2x4. I can def add those.

get this to attach the additional 2x4 that you are going to add.
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1...6Bm_bIwJc3ZFy9DQjfiAGO76WrpS-jAQaAkOUEALw_wcB

Just be careful strapping the pipes to the wood.
If the supports are off at all, screwing it down will pull on the pipes, adding a ton of stress.
Making the problem worse not better.
Fortunately the Unions have a bit of give.

Note that only the pipe with the valve has much water in it.

Curios : Why the two 90 degree elbows on that one return?

Those are actually not even cemented yet (the 90 degree elbows). I only put them there b/c the water fall was really loud so just during water testing i just added them so the water splash wasn't so loud. I havn't gotten my actual sump yet so I didn't want to do anything permanent for the time being until i know the sump layout etc.

As for the straps go I was thinking about pushing a 2x4 up to the pipes then drilling it onto the stand, that way the 2x4 are litteraly lined up with the pipes and no push or pull will happen. The only thing i was wondering is since the pvc is only vertical does that actually even give any support?

For return, it is mostly straight down, but not quite.
And if you yank on the pump when cleaning, that long pipe adds a lot of leverage,
putting a lot of torque on that glass.

Looks like everyone covered everything already. Looks good.

So it looks like you did your leak test inside your house. I always did mine outside since I was testing if it would hold water or not. If for some reason it burst I didn’t want it to be inside.

Just be careful strapping the pipes to the wood.
If the supports are off at all, screwing it down will pull on the pipes, adding a ton of stress.
Making the problem worse not better.
Fortunately the Unions have a bit of give.

Note that only the pipe with the valve has much water in it.

Agree, also if there’s any force on the pipes it will result in one side of the bulkhead gasket being decompressed which can result in leaking.

Looks like everyone covered everything already. Looks good.

So it looks like you did your leak test inside your house. I always did mine outside since I was testing if it would hold water or not. If for some reason it burst I didn’t want it to be inside.

Haha yah I had to take the chance had a bunch of buckets and towels on stand by just in case.

Agree, also if there’s any force on the pipes it will result in one side of the bulkhead gasket being decompressed which can result in leaking.

I'll have to make a trip out to lowes and pick up some thing to hold the PVC to a 2x4 that will be pushed up against the pvc. I'll make sure it isn't pulling or pushing on the PVC good to know these things can happen o_O.

Have you tested that your temporary sump will hold enough water in it in the event of a blackout?

Also that the pump section of your sump doesn’t hold too much water to flood your tank if the overflow stops working

Currently the tank that is being used as a sump is just temporary. I am in the market right now of getting an actual sump. Once I get my hands on one I'll definitely make sure that the water that backflows into the sump from the tank will be able to hold all the water with out overflowing. Thanks for looking out guys! Really appreciate all the advice! =).

Finally got the sump in and in the process of making rodi. Unfortunately it is a long process to make enough water for this much volume. I plan to mix the salt in the tank and wondering if I should take the dry rock and marine pure block out when putting in the salt. Plan to add some prime as well to the tank bc I'm unsure if the rodi is filtering out the chloramine. Finally got my hands on some fritz turbo 900 just waiting on the ammonia to get in to start the cycle.

Also wondering if the 10lbs dry rock and marine pure block is enough. Only going to be housing a pair of clowns and used as a frag tank.

BTW nice job with the drilling. In the future one minor improvement you can make is to tape the glass from the other side, that way you won't accidentally have the weight of the glass piece snap off and possibly cause a chipped edge. Not saying you did have that, just one of those things that helps.

BTW nice job with the drilling. In the future one minor improvement you can make is to tape the glass from the other side, that way you won't accidentally have the weight of the glass piece snap off and possibly cause a chipped edge. Not saying you did have that, just one of those things that helps.

I actually did tape it =). The tape was clear so it is kinda hard to see. Thanks!

Or lay a towel at the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back