Kessil

My 90 gallon tank: video update! (with narration this time!)

gimmito said:
Yes, it's a very good idea to have a good sized cleanup crew for your main DT to help with algae, turning over sandbed, etc. 25 turbo snails, a dozen nassarius snails, & a dozen small red hermits should be enough to get you started.

I'm curious, does the 25 turbo snails apply still if I have an algae blenny (starry blenny)? I am looking into inverts for when we get back, and it was a question that I had. I need to make sure there's algae for him to eat too. Also, the nessarius snails, is it a good idea to have some in the 'fuge as well? I mentioned "5inch sandbed" at the LFS and got an outcry of protests.....They said that deep sand beds cause more harm than good. But if I have nessarius snails in there, I should be ok right?

Hi Brandie,

If you can get some large turbos you won't need that many (say 10). Hopefully your algae blenny will learn to eat other foods, some algae disc may help. Up to you regarding the depth of your sandbed in your fuge...a few nassarius snails can't hurt.

He's actually learned to eat mysis shrimp, but I wasn't sure if that was good for him since he's an algae eater. As long as I know that he can and will eat other things, then I will just stick with a handful of smaller ones. Thank you!

GOT WATER IN THE TANK TONIGHT!!!!!.......and the bulkheads are flawed, they LEAKED everywhere = / gotta go get some aquarium silicone tomorrow, and I am going to silicone them puppies, let them sit, then get the tank ready to roll. Ugh, one step forward, two steps back, I am soo close though!

joining in late, but wanted to comment on an old inaccurate post:

gimmito said:
If the tank was glass and treated with copper then you can't put inverts in there (copper leaches from the silicone).

Urban legend, myth. It cannot leach enough to effect anything, or even be detectable. Not only did I ask this to RHF and a few others, I tested it with an old 20h from a LFS I worked at that always ran copper.

BAYMAC said:

gimmito said:
If the tank was glass and treated with copper then you can't put inverts in there (copper leaches from the silicone).

Urban legend, myth. It cannot leach enough to effect anything, or even be detectable. Not only did I ask this to RHF and a few others, I tested it with an old 20h from a LFS I worked at that always ran copper.

Funny...Dr.Timothy Miller Morgan at the Hatfield Marine Science Research Institute recommends not using tanks that have been treated with copper for inverts also. Sorry if I don't take your advice as gospel. :p

Never said my word was gospel :lol: But I do trust the scientists I asked as well as my own tests ;)

I'll email him, I'm well connected with OSU and his Dept. I'll see why he doesn't recommend it when it doesn't leach any significant amounts out.

He's also a biologist, so while he's well versed in biology, he may not be so versed silicone sealant. Don't forget, Phd's are also human and are prone to the same things everyone is... like regurgitating ancient urban legends they believe is true.

I find its best to vette these things out... I mean, you got "experts" like Calfo suggesting pH of 8.7 is optimum and higher is even better :lol: He said it, must be true.. any takers?

LoL, just a quick update, yes the rubber gaskets are in the inside of the tank :p haha, I may not know tons and tons, but I do know the basics of plumbing in general ;) I am the daughter of a plumber.

We found the problem: we added a second gasket (it came with the kit, but we didn't use it to start off with) and that has created a water tight seal on the drain, but now, we found that part of the frame of the tank blocks the return bulkhead from making a complete seal. So now, I am draining the tank, we are going to flip it, and dremel off the tiny 1 millimeter piece of plastic off the bottom, then test again. Hopefully, between the two gaskets (one on the inside and one on the outside) and the minor tweak, all will be well.

LoL, and TBH, not to step on anyone's toes, but, I have had several puffer friends run into problems with Calfo. On our puffer forum, that's a not so clean word. He really burned the owner of the forum after she mentioned that she talked to him in an email to someone else, and he freaked out and threatened to sue her if she didn't retract what she said in the email. 0.o Again, not personal experience, but, I have seen him say different things on different sites. I will go by what you all tell me here, and what I can find and experience myself. Sorry, hope no offence is taken.

BAYMAC said:
Puffer forum... so do you know Jenni T, or Kelly J? Is Puffergirl still around?

Not sure of Kelly J, but I do know Jeni T. I do beleive that Puffergirl checks in every now and then, but, I haven't been on too much lately, been knee deep in work, school and setting up this tank. Also lost my GSP, so it made me sad to go back and see all the stuff about Yoshi and her tank.

gimmito said:
BAYMAC said:

gimmito said:

Funny...Dr.Timothy Miller Morgan at the Hatfield Marine Science Research Institute recommends not using tanks that have been treated with copper for inverts also. Sorry if I don't take your advice as gospel. :p

But why take Timothy Miller Morgan's advice as gospel? I could curl your hair with advice from researchers that is way off base. Also saying he recommends that you not use copper treated tanks for inverts is different from saying that the copper gets adsorbed by the tank or seals and then is re released, that you can't put inverts in such a tank, and is often just a way of saying 'not sure about this, but why not play it safe'.
We talk about this a lot in ceph circles, and I can't find anyone that can supply any evidence that it is actually a problem. And, when the claims of copper in such a tank killing inverts get examined, there are almost always plenty of other things that have happened that explain the deaths.

goldielocke76 said:
BAYMAC said:
Puffer forum... so do you know Jenni T, or Kelly J? Is Puffergirl still around?

Not sure of Kelly J, but I do know Jeni T. I do beleive that Puffergirl checks in every now and then, but, I haven't been on too much lately, been knee deep in work, school and setting up this tank. Also lost my GSP, so it made me sad to go back and see all the stuff about Yoshi and her tank.

Puffer Queen = Kelly Jedlicki :)

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Kelly_Jedlicki

I beleive they are all still active, the just pop in and out. I have been on here more often than not.

BULK HEADS AREN'T LEAKING!!! W00t!!! Well, the larger one still is, but we don't have a big enough wrench to turn in. But, we are one step closer-- we KNOW what the problem is! Going to be swapping tanks and spots tomorrrow-- gotta do a big water change on my big tank for my upcoming vacation anyways. YES!! Sooo close

If I put my big Aquaclear on the back of the large tank while I am gone, will it seed the biomedia? I was hoping to use the Aquaclear as a QT filter for when I got back-- the old 60 is going to be my QT tank until I get all my fish in there. OMG soo close!

Thales said:
gimmito said:
BAYMAC said:

gimmito said:

But why take Timothy Miller Morgan's advice as gospel? I could curl your hair with advice from
researchers that is way off base. Also saying he recommends that you not use copper treated tanks for inverts is different from saying that the copper gets adsorbed by the tank or seals and then is re released, that you can't put inverts in such a tank, and is often just a way of saying 'not sure about this, but why not play it safe'.
We talk about this a lot in ceph circles, and I can't find anyone that can supply any evidence that it is actually a problem. And, when the claims of copper in such a tank killing inverts get examined, there are almost always plenty of other things that have happened that explain the deaths.

While I do respect Dr. Miller Morgan, I do not take any one person's advice as gospel (in the hobby). My thought on the subject is why take the chance on killing a animal when a new QT is cheap ?

Back