Kessil

My 90 gallon tank: video update! (with narration this time!)

Kensington Reefer said:
I have found that things live longer if you don't name them! I've had more than most. ,) I currently have 15+yr turtles, 20+yr cat, 10+yr bird, 8+fish and corals. I tend not to name things that don't "come" when called. :0

LOL hahahaha. That's funny! Sounds like you have a menagerie ^.^ I will have one...eventually haha. I can't wait to get more animals. It's too bad my apartment complex has a limit.....although, they may regret telling me that fish tanks were considered "furniture" and not pets!!

I love the enthusiasm Goldie ! Sometimes I think we forget how cool it was when we first got in the hobby. 8)

You will need a few more Korallias in your new 90 display. Eventually you might want to look into Tunzes and Vortech pumps.

Copepods will start showing up in your tank...especially if you seed it with live sand. My recommendation is to wait one year with your new tank before adding a mandarin and have a well established refugium. Tank bred is the way the go also.

gimmito said:
I love the enthusiasm Goldie ! Sometimes I think we forget how cool it was when we first got in the hobby. 8)

You will need a few more Korallias in your new 90 display. Eventually you might want to look into Tunzes and Vortech pumps.

Copepods will start showing up in your tank...especially if you seed it with live sand. My recommendation is to wait one year with your new tank before adding a mandarin and have a well established refugium. Tank bred is the way the go also.

Thank you :D Can't get over my excitement, LoL, it's going to be even worse when the stand comes in and I can pick up the sump.

Ah ok, good to know. Sorry, PM hasn't come your way because I can't PM you just yet, but will do as soon as I am able. I have 100lbs of LR in the current set up, so the last few things on the list to get are: a fine grained substrate, ~50 lbs of dry rock, some rubble, Korallias (looking into the other two) and a new skimmer ( :'( ) Whole skimmer thing really bums me out. Can't wait to have access to the sale/trade section to see if anyone is selling.

Question gimmito: can the LR sit on the glass? As of right now, I have a bed of medium grain agag substrate, and the rock sits on top of that. Also, how strong is Aquastick? That's what I used to make my whole set up in my tank, I think it's going to get it out of there = /

goldielocke76 said:
gimmito said:

Thank you :D Can't get over my excitement, LoL, it's going to be even worse when the stand comes in and I can pick up the sump.

Ah ok, good to know. Sorry, PM hasn't come your way because I can't PM you just yet, but will do as soon as I am able. I have 100lbs of LR in the current set up, so the last few things on the list to get are: a fine grained substrate, ~50 lbs of dry rock, some rubble, Korallias (looking into the other two) and a new skimmer ( :'( ) Whole skimmer thing really bums me out. Can't wait to have access to the sale/trade section to see if anyone is selling.

Question gimmito: can the LR sit on the glass? As of right now, I have a bed of medium grain agag substrate, and the rock sits on top of that. Also, how strong is Aquastick? That's what I used to make my whole set up in my tank, I think it's going to suck to get it out of there = /

goldielocke76 said:
Question gimmito: can the LR sit on the glass? As of right now, I have a bed of medium grain agag substrate, and the rock sits on top of that. Also, how strong is Aquastick? That's what I used to make my whole set up in my tank, I think it's going to get it out of there = /

Yes...but be very careful !

As for aquascaping a tank, you're just going to have to make it out to our next meeting that will have guest aquascaping extrordanaire Jestersix show you how to do it. ;)

I do like your optimism! The idea of keeping a puffer somehow in a freezer ;0
I had it in the store from the size od a golf ball. One day it wasn't swimming :(
That was five years ago . There's a lake size Malawi trout down there too.

gimmito said:
goldielocke76 said:

Yes...but be very careful !

As for aquascaping a tank, you're just going to have to make it out to our next meeting that will have guest aquascaping extrordanaire Jestersix show you how to do it. ;)

I think I'd rather put it on egg crate then. I don't want anything to happen, but how do you avoid "dead spots?"

And I really, really, really want to go to the aquascape meet, but I have to go out of town for work that week. I really hope someone can record it, I would gladly pay for a copy. If there was some way I could call off, I would, but it's been scheduled for almost 3 months and I would never hear the end of it.....But it saddens me that I miss such a great meet up =(

gimmito said:
We'll see what we can do about recording it.

That would be totally awesome and very much appreciated. =)

Any recommendations as to how many more koralias or tunzes to add and at what gph? I was looking at the two brands you recommended, and I am unfamiliar with both. Any advice would be much appreciated =)

Also, sent in my $20 donation. =) Just so everyone knows I'm not freeloading LoL

Hello,

If you are in need of a black canopy and reef lighting setup for your 90g, let me know. I have an extra setup with built in retrofit kit lighting in it. ( assuming its a standard 4ft tank) It comes with a reflector, a set of 2 x 250watt MH (Mogul) older Ice cap ballast and 2x 96watt power compact with a coralife ballast, and what ever bulbs are in the fixture. I can let it go pretty cheap, just let me know.

See Goldie ? You got folks offering equipment already ! Just post what you need...We all have a closet full of extra equipment that we can help you out with. 2 vortech mp40's or Tunze 6105's will work for your 90. Not sure which Korralias to recommend since I don't use them...I know you'll need more than two (probably 4).

Joining BAR is the 20 bucks you will ever spend. :)

Apon said:
Hello,

If you are in need of a black canopy and reef lighting setup for your 90g, let me know. I have an extra setup with built in retrofit kit lighting in it. ( assuming its a standard 4ft tank) It comes with a reflector, a set of 2 x 250watt MH (Mogul) older Ice cap ballast and 2x 96watt power compact with a coralife ballast, and what ever bulbs are in the fixture. I can let it go pretty cheap, just let me know.

I'll shoot you a PM as soon as I am able. I have been trying to figure out how I was going to set up the lighting, as I don't have a canopy or hood for the tank. Thank you so so much!

gimmito said:
See Goldie ? You got folks offering equipment already ! Just post what you need...We all have a closet full of extra equipment that we can help you out with. 2 vortech mp40's or Tunze 6105's will work for your 90. Not sure which Korralias to recommend since I don't use them...I know you'll need more than two (probably 4).

Joining BAR is the 20 bucks you will ever spend. :)

Thank you all so much. I feel very welcome and it's really neat that you are all locals! And yes, the $20 is very much worth the good cause =)

I will definitely look for the Tunze or Vortechs here, I saw the prices for them online and holy moly LoL!! I am really glad someone mentioned the lighting, I have been trying to work that problem out myself and didn't think to mention it on the forum. :) Silly me.

Well, as mentioned earlier, I have a medium grain aragonite substrate. I am looking to go finer since I have found that it has been limiting to what sand sifters I can have. Any recommendations for a substrate?

Looking for a new skimmer all together or one I can add in addition to my HOB. Still not sure what's the better option. BF lifted the budget, but I don't have tons of cash to go wild and crazy (darnit LoL).

Going to look into adding about ~50 lbs of dry rock, since that would put me just comfortably over the 1.5 lb per gallon requirement.

I will be checking out the trade/for sale part of the forum since I am an official, albeit new, member :D Thank you again everyone!

I personally like reef flakes by Tropic Eden. You can find them at www.PremiumAquatics.com
No rinsing required and does not blow around easily like fine grade sand.

gimmito said:
I personally like reef flakes by Tropic Eden. You can find them at www.PremiumAquatics.com
No rinsing required and does not blow around easily like fine grade sand.

I definitely like the no rinse part ;) I put my diamondback goby in my tank and had a dust storm LoL. If I used that substrate, would that be OK for the goby to sift? (I am assuming so, but I want to ask to be sure, LoL)

***NM, just answered my own question xD LoL you said "flakes" and I immediately thought of something like Frosted Flakes..LOL I guess my question now would be, is 100lbs enough for a 90 gallon? How deep of a bed do you recommend? I was advised no more than 1.5" of substrate, or else you can get gas pockets, but after searching through some threads, I see sand beds deeper than that.

Back